Performance isssues with SolarVPS

I've been a customer of SolarVPS since November 2007 (my hosting plan is NeptuneLX) and I've always been quite happy with the technical support and the VPS performance so far.
    Lately my websites became very slow, especially the SQL server operations are so slow that sometimes I get "disconnected from the SQL server" errors or "unable to connect to MySQL DB" errors".
    I run a forum on the VPS but it's a low traffic forum (about 200 messages/day) that used to run with excellent performances until one month ago (traffic hasn't increased since then). My other website is also affected by the sudden performance decay of the VPS (using the admin panel of the site or opening a photo gallery is frustrating because of the long time it takes).
    I contacted the technical support several times and even if they are always very fast in replying, they couldn't fix this issue so far. They tried to optimize the SQL server but this lead to several crashes of the server due to the high memory load, so they reverted to the previous settings.
    So now I'm stuck with this unusable and unusually slow VPS. The technical support says that the problem is caused by my "large" databases but I know that this can't be an explanation as the same databases and websites used to run without a problem not long ago.
    I'm addressing this message first of all to the other SolarVPS customers (with servers located in the US)on this board as I'm curious to know how your VPS is working and if you noticed performance issues lately. Please let me know your experience.
    Secondly, I'm addressing to SolarVPS staff that may be reading this post. I know that it's not easy to fix these issues but you can't leave me without a solution, so please ask your best system operators to take a second look at my VPS and find out what's going on.

P.S.: I can't post my websites URL since I don't have 5 posts on this board yet. PM me if you need more data.

Thanks.
    M.D.B.

We can't PM you because you don't have enough posts.

To get around the "You can't post URL's" type out your domain like

go ogle . com

Hi M.D.B.
    One thing you should know about Solar VPS is that we are a service provider and that means that the core of our business is to provide a service. If we don't provide a solid service that meets and exceeds the expectations that we've advertised, we lose customers and that doesn't help our business in any way, shape or form.

WebHostingTalk is a funny place. When I first joined these boards 7 years ago, I saw it as a place to converse and commune with other companies and individuals about topics related to hosting. It wasn't until I started Solar VPS in 2005 that I began to post instead of just read and interestingly enough, I began to find that the content of these boards were becoming more and more about praise or criticism of hosting providers. Don't get me wrong, there are some great threads here and in the many hours I spend Google searching on a weekly basis, I often find little gems hidden in these boards that lead me to where I want to go. Even so, it's concerning to me that so many customers feel that WHT is their resolution to problems with a hosting provider that were not solved in the first few tries with a provider's email, chat or phone support. For some providers, perhaps going to WHT is the right way to get problems solved. While we love to see our named mentioned, with Solar VPS, it's not necessary to bring your issue here in order to get our attention.

If you've chosen a solid provider, and I strongly feel that we are a very strong provider, then you can be sure that your provider has avenues to resolve your problem. Sometimes these avenues are not advertised in big bold lettering on the front page of the company's web site, however, by asking a few questions, you can generally get to where you need to be in order to resolve your issue. You should know that we aren't a massive telecom with thousands of agents ready to take your call and NOT solve your problem. We are a small company that cares about each and every customer and we do everything we can do try and make every customer happy. It sounds a bit ironic that I'm concerned about customers taking their provider issues to WHT and yet I'm here answering yours. In fact, I wouldn't even have known about your issue if it hadn't been for the Google Alert I received a few minutes ago. Since I did see your post on WHT, I thought I would take this opportunity to tell you that we are here to help and we WANT to do everything we can to resolve your issue.

In the future, if there is a problem you feel is not being handled properly, please drop an email to management at solarvps dotcom and a member of the management team ( that includes myself ) will be more than happy to respond to you and do whatever we can to resolve it. We don't want you to seek out other providers or worse, have the impression we don't care. We do care and we want to help.

I hope we'll receive an email from you soon so we can help you out.

Thank you for your business and your support.

Ross

Hi Ross,
    two years ago, when I was looking for a new, reliable, hosting provider after a negative, awful experience with another hosting provider, I came across this board and it was thanks to WHT that I first heard of SolarVPS. I read the reviews and the positive opinions of many customers and decided to trust your company.
    It was a good choice and, as I wrote in my previous post, I've been a happy customer for a long time.
    So I don't think you should complain if this forum also contains praises and cricisms of hosting providers. It's a good thing, it helps people make the right choice based on other people's experiences, which is much better than just reading the advertisement material that can be found on any web hosting service's website.
    That said, I decided to post here mainly because I wanted to know from other customers if they also experienced a slowdown of their VPS or if it's just a problem with my server. I'm sure that you understand how important this information is from the customer's point of view.
    Of course this is not the only thing I did in order to resolve my problem and I didn't do it with the main purpose of getting your attention. Again, as reported in my initial post, I contacted the technical support at SolarVPS but so far we didn't came to a positive conclusion.
    Now I'm going to email you in person with all my data and details, so that you can read my previous help tickets and see if the problem can be solved.
    Thanks.
    M.D.B.

I noticed recently that the CPU speed on my VPS had suddenly become capped. I'm not sure if that only happened to my VPS/node or everyone, but perhaps it would explain the performance drop that you're experiencing. You could take a look at the "cpu MHz" value in the "/proc/cpuinfo" file.

Chimp, If a member of our abuse team caps CPU on a customer, we always notify them about it.

sgrisole, you might want to check our networking forums... this could very well be related to the issues you've been facing.

Thanks!
    Douglas Hazard - Certifiable Sports Junkie and Sports Community Enthusiast

Host of Two Cents Radio - Follow @TwoCentsRadio on Twitter (@BearlyDoug on Twitter)

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    sgrisole, you might want to check our networking forums... this could very well be related to the issues you've been facing.
    Douglas, I hope so. Right now my VPS is down as every other VPS hosted on the infamous UNXVPS35 server. We'll see whether the performances will be back to normal once the VPS goes online again.
    M.D.B.

Chimp, If a member of our abuse team caps CPU on a customer, we always notify them about it.
    I didn't receive a notification in my case, so I guess it must've just been a mistake then. It would be strange if it had been flagged for abuse as the VPS hasn't really been in use for the last few months. I have been planning to cancel the VPS anyway due to its lack of use (nothing against SolarVPS's service!), so it's no biggie.

The time-frame seemed to coincide, so I just thought the CPU cap may have been a general policy change that might have contributed to the original poster's issues. I see my VPS was on the same node (UNXVPS35), so perhaps the CPU cap was a node-wide anomaly?

chirp, can you PM me some details on your account, please? I'd like to dig into your issue a bit more, if that's okay.

sgrisole, we're almost at the end of this... I posted an update on our forums an hour ago; I'm eagerly awaiting another update so I can updaet the thread again.
    Douglas Hazard - Certifiable Sports Junkie and Sports Community Enthusiast

Host of Two Cents Radio - Follow @TwoCentsRadio on Twitter (@BearlyDoug on Twitter)

The cpu MHz value is: 447.841. 4 CPU cores are listed.
    Is that the normal value?

M.D.B.

sgrisole, we're almost at the end of this... I posted an update on our forums an hour ago; I'm eagerly awaiting another update so I can updaet the thread again.
    Douglas, I see that my VPS is back online now, but I'm afraid that the performance issue is still there. I'll do more tests and contact the tech support again.
    M.D.B.

Quote Originally Posted by sgrisole View Post
    The cpu MHz value is: 447.841. 4 CPU cores are listed.
    Is that the normal value?
    That is the same as I am seeing. The normal speed (of an Opteron 265) is 1800MHz. So it would appear that the CPU speed cap is a node-wide issue.

So the CPU speed appears to be capped to about 1/4 of its normal clock speed. That would certainly explain the performance drop, but let's first hear from Douglas or Ross before coming to a conclusion.

M.D.B.