Thread: Is this fair?

* Is this fair?

Hello!

I don't wish to mention over the board who this company is (yet), but I just want to ask if I am overreacting or I have a right to be upset.

1) Yesterday my VPS host moved me (and I'll assume many others) to a 'Better, stronger node..blah blah blah lucky ducky us....'.

2) Nothing has been right since. I figured I'd give it a day or two to settle down before contacting them as long as my sites were up and not deadly sloooow.

3) Well, this morning was the topper. I tried to FTP a file, resources jumped to over 10. Hmmmmm.....Restarted FTPD, moved another file......OOPS resources over 10 again.......Gee, Sherlock, must be the new server.

4) Put in a helpdesk. I know, I know pushy me wants to ftp without shutting off Apache and now I have to wake up a tech from a sound sleep just to hear me whine and moan.

5) No replies for OVER AN HOUR. Not even a 'We have your ticket'. Nada.

6) After OVER AN HOUR (and still no reply, I watch them update my CPANEL/WHM through the TOP).

7) They send me the standard, "OK. Server all Fixed".

8) NOPE. When they updated WHM they broke the license, and at Amatuer Hour Hosting they didn't look. So I asked them to reinstall the licence so WHM/CPANES would work.

9) over an hour goes by and they FINALLY reinstall the license. No explanation, apology, thank you...NOTHING. At this point I'm wondering if these fly-by nights will be around long enough to cash my payment.

10) Here is where the REAL fun starts. I notice my VPS is losing about 1GB of space (HDD) every 10 minutes or so. I email & email their tech dept to NOTHINGNESS. I lost 12 GB off the allowance by the time I opened ANOTHER ticket as they were ignoring the first one. Now they quickly reply by telling me not to open multiple tickets. I told them to ANSWER THE FIRST ONE!!!!

11) Again, over an HOUR goes by and I get the standard "We looking at it we gently require patience".....RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

12) I go to lunch (darn that biological need!) and come back to a dead server. However, THIS TIME they did leave me a WONDERFUL NOTE:

"Your server will be down for some time. Please do not start it from your end as it can break the settings. Kindly be patient until we update you."

That was two hours ago. I asked for an ETA (and I do know it can be difficult) and to please let me know what is wrong....I don't think it's a lot to ask so I have something to tell my clients other than "THE Hosting Data Center fell down and they can't get up!!!!"

At no time did they tell me what they did, tell me what is wrong, or even acknowledge any of my questions. What they did was take a server that was running GREAT for over a year and promptly reduce it to rubble without explanation. At this time the server is down (over 3 hours), and they have not answered my query for an ETA or even what the issue is.

Am I asking too much of them? Is it too hard to tell me what the issue is?

perhaps they properly don't/cant manage new nodes, if i were you, i would packup and leave.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience

I think in the first instance you should have been given the option on whether to migrate or not. Assuing you agreed to migrate, they should have warned you clearly about the process involved, and that sometimes downtime along with unforseen consequences are inevitable.

So what I am saying is yes, it's a real shame that you have had to face these issues. But do be mindful that obviously it seems like the migration was a significant move and has introduced some teething issues as a result. In hindsight they probably could have handled it better, but hopefully they can get you back up and running soon!
    Exceptional VPS Hosting. With love, 6sync.

Just a hunch, but they might have been sold or merged with another company. The problems you're describing are common when hosts change hands. Remember, this is just a shot in the dark, there could be many other reasons for the sudden lack of proper support.

Hopefully they will get everything resolved and on track for the future.
    Everyone is entitled to MY opinion.
    CatfishEd.com

I don't think they are merging, somebody bought this company appx a year ago so I got to deal with that migration.....down for days, BS announcements of their super-successful migration on WHT (which got deleted), it was awful...but I stuck it out....darn.

Honestly I wouldn't even be upset if they would simply ANSWER a simple QUESTION..."WHAT IS WRONG".....but nothing, nada, silence, mute, execpt for the chip-chop english "We Fix Soon..."....it's very frustrating and very hard to sit still while they break things they really know nothing about....

Did they send you any notification before moving your VPS? Otherwise I would agree with catfished, unless host really felt it necessary to upgrade the server.
    Last edited by 24shells; 07-14-2009 at 07:19 PM.
    24Shells in Business Since 2003 - AS55081
    Dedicated Servers, Linux VPS Hosting, Windows VPS Hosting
    @24Shells - 24shells.net

definitely keep a backup... I'd give it another day and see where it goes from there
    Jon Stephenson

I got a notice over the weekend that said at most I may 'notice' a 15 minute downtime.

It was only down for about 10 minutes YESTERDAY, but it's never run right since. Hi loads, bouncing loads, services shut down/restart, just junk.

It was running when I asked them to fix the FTP (original call). After these brain surgeons got done, now the server is dead and has been for hours. PLUS no replies from them concerning issue or ETA.

From the sounds of it, you've been extremely patient. You deserve to know what's going on!

It came back about an hour ago. FINALLY. I only lost two clients (ONLY??) during the downtime.

I've been trying to draft a response to their "Golly Gee, your server is hunky-dory", but I'm too emotional right now.

That sucks, when you say dead, did they confirm that all data had been lost?

It was dead - down - inusable - offline - for several hours. They finally got it up.

No explanation during the entire time. No answers.

Then back up with a one-line chop-chop English reply. The experience was totally unsatisfactory. I understand that things happen, servers go down, and issues arise. But how they dealt with it was absolutely bottom of the dirty barrel.

I'm past furious with this. I'm numb. My favorite guess is this company is a bunch of 19-20 year olds looking for beer & peanut money.

Hi!
    It's time to move on. Fair? Hardly. Time to go vps shopping.

Bryon
    Bryon L Harvey
    Soil Relocation Engineer

It's common practice for VPS's to be migrated around different nodes to re-balance load, mitigate downtime for maintenance etc. - but of course the customer should be informed if this isn't a transparent process (i.e. if there's a chance of service disruption as a result).

However, the experience described here sounds very disturbing. I'm actually somewhat perplexed that despite the experience you're reluctant to state which provider it is.

Besides that, I'm guessing that the service in question is (supposed to be) fully managed? Assuming that's the case then you definitely have even more reason to be aggrieved by this incident.

That being the case, I don't see how you can continue to use their service if, as demonstrated, it isn't providing the level of service that you and your clients require?

As you stated, the problem itself is one issue, but the larger problem in any such incident is communication. It's important to recognise that it takes time to receive and review a ticket (so for example, 10-20 minutes is reasonable), but for them to update cPanel as a "solution", take a long time to do so, and not provide any sort of detail about it is inappropriate.

Beyond that, to cause excessive downtime with no detail or information about the issue, ETA or anything (I guess even now you don't know what they did during all that time? Is the original problem solved?) is inexcusable.
    UK, Chicago, & Singapore Fully Managed Cloud VPS
    UK & Arizona Jelastic Java, PHP & Ruby PaaS

Comprehensive SLAs, backups, full SSD, rebootless kernel updates.
    Experienced managed hosting provider since 2001. True 24x7 Support & Server Management

All support tickets are responded to with details and not just a "everything works now" response. It kind of amuses me that this still flies with a lot of VPS hosting companies.

It sounds like you got the raw end of the deal and they didn't keep you in the loop. It's sorry to hear that but some VPS providers put value on the top clients heads and walk on the people with only one VPS sadly.
    Last edited by Douglas; 07-16-2009 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Fixing a grammatical error

Yes, this is a fully managed server. I sure do pay enough for the 'full support'. I'm certainly not a server expert, but I can do the basics & such, so I generally only have to contact support when there is something wrong with the environment. I ran dedicated servers for about 5 years & VPS plans for about 3 years (give or take).

I have 6 VPS's out there with three different vendors. The one I'm having issues with (and I'm still having issues where the load goes over 5.0 when somebody tries to FTP ANYTHING) is one that I've had for about 3 years. 2 years of good, and 1 year (after they were bought out) of junk. Support went from 10 minutes to over an hour (most times), and they do the bare, minimum or tell you 'Gee, what you are seeing is normal. Please don't look at the man behind the curtain'

I'm just trying to get this up & running well enough so I have the choice to move it. There is a lot of $$$ on this server.

RockVPS, I agree. "Gee All Fine Now Yep Yep" is AWFUL customer service. Having the server down for several hours is AWFUL.

Quote Originally Posted by niccell View Post
    10) Here is where the REAL fun starts. I notice my VPS is losing about 1GB of space (HDD) every 10 minutes or so.
    I've seen this happen also, with a host using OpenVZ. At the command prompt I'd do "df -h" and have a 10 GB disk. Minutes later I'd do the same thing and have an 8 GB disk. I don't mean free space, I mean total disk size. The cause was an overcrowded server; essentially the host was overselling disk space and it caught up with them.

On an overcrowded server anything can happen -- such as your load shooting up to high levels when you do (what should be) a simple task.

I agree wholeheartedly that the server is seriously overcrowded. FTP is a very lightweight service and should be barely noticed when uploading....maybe a few tenths or so. Certainly not 5.0+ CPU which is verifiable and repeatable.

I got an answer from them over 3 hours after I told them how to repeat & troubleshoot the issue. In reply (3 hours later) I got a lecture on how load works....GEEEEEEZ.....I've only been running servers for 5 years or so....thank you for the lecture, Professor PLUM! I did notice that they never tested the FTP (I gave them FTP details to a test area) and it was never used by them, but FTP is working somewhat better.....it would have been SO MUCH BETTER if they would just admit their mistake, fix it , and move on. But they are determined to lie, evade, and place blame. SAD SAD SAD.

I'm hoping to see others on the board show up with similar issues.....last time this company moved accounts the board was full of their mishaps, but I havn't seen it yet, so I'm wondering if I've just been picked for 'special treatment' or people are simply leaving.

This is just too good to pass up and not share.

I've been working with their 'tech support' all day about my issue (the server load goes over 5.0 when I'm trying to FTP anything....

Here are some of the brightest of their suggestions:

1) FTP the files compressed & uncompress them on the server.

Yep...I'll get right on that. And I'll give all my clients root access so they can do the same.

2) Move one file at a time from now on

U betcha. Some of my sites are 5000 files & I'll spend the next two weeks nursing them files one at a time...roger that.

3) It must be your FTP client. Try another client

Dude, if your servers are so busted that an FTP CLIENT can break them we have bigger problems than I think. Plus my client (FileZilla) works on all my other VPS's without issue. Watsa Matta With Yours?

4) Move to one of our dedicated servers.

Not a bad suggestion if the load was consistantly high, or some of my sites were running high, there Einstein. But as you said when I'm not doing FTP, my load is less than 4%. I've got a better idea. FIX YOUR ISSUES!

I swear these are all in the helpdesk. One of the fellows I work with works in a Datacenter and he was just cracking up and said 'YOU'VE GOT TO POST THIS'...

I suggest you get your stuff and leave. Two companies merging isn't always a good thing.
    AlfaHosts Group Australia - The Web Hosting Experts

sorry! (maybe I need a new eyeglasses? =)

Quote Originally Posted by sk1tL1L View Post
    I suggest you get your stuff and leave. Two companies merging isn't always a good thing.
    It doesn't even look like a merger, but that the OP's VPS was moved from a less powerful server to a more powerful server but is experiencing a crap load of problems now......

It doesn't even look like a merger, but that the OP's VPS was moved from a less powerful server to a more powerful server but is experiencing a crap load of problems now......
    I agree. But from the looks of it and past history, they have the habit of overloading their servers significantly & telling the outside world (ME) that all the problems MUST be MY FAULT. Then they EVENTUALLY fix their issues ***BUT ONLY IF I PERSIST*** and offer no explanations.

It's a poor way to do Customer Service, and when you've been running servers for as long as I have, it's really sad, transparent & obvious. It's so much easier for all around for the techs to say 'We see your issue, here is what the issue is, and here is what we are going to do', instead of all the sneaking around and finger pointing. It's just not professional.

Quote Originally Posted by niccell View Post
    I agree. But from the looks of it and past history, they have the habit of overloading their servers significantly & telling the outside world (ME) that all the problems MUST be MY FAULT. Then they EVENTUALLY fix their issues ***BUT ONLY IF I PERSIST*** and offer no explanations.

It's a poor way to do Customer Service, and when you've been running servers for as long as I have, it's really sad, transparent & obvious. It's so much easier for all around for the techs to say 'We see your issue, here is what the issue is, and here is what we are going to do', instead of all the sneaking around and finger pointing. It's just not professional.
    This really sounds like a company I know, I sent you a PM.
    AlfaHosts Group Australia - The Web Hosting Experts

Move on.
    There are so many really good hosting firms out there where this poor customer service will never will never happen, that you should fire these guys.
    Dave Allen, Utility Infielder
    http://www.TotalVPS.com/

Just my take but you say that the last year of your 3 year time with this mystery host has been bad and you're still with them??? And you're surprised that you lost some customers? Not sure how you could not have lost even more customers with one year of (AT LEAST spotty service).

I agree with the others that you just need to cut your losses and move on, but IMHO you should have moved on 9 months ago.

Quick update:

1) They moved me to a 'MORE STABLE NODE' (thier terminology) and it's been OK for awhile. This is what is typically the issue....I get ready to move (and it is expensive, both financially as I have to pay for multiple servers, as well as the time to do the physical moves) and they pull a rabbit out of thier butts, things calm down, I get hugs ,kisses and pony rides from one of their 'managers', and it settles down. I go back to normal business.

Is this the sign of an overloaded node please?

I've experienced some of the SAME issues from their 'MORE STABLE' node. I put in a helpdesk, hounding all the way (which SUCKS but is TYPICAL for them), and I finally got a reply:

Hello,

The main node disk on which your vps private area was stored was running out of disk space, We are now moving the private area to a new location. Will keep you updated.

Regards,
    Shane
    and nothing since.

Just pack your things and move.

I agree.

I'm taking bids now, so hopefully the server will be stable enough to tolerate a move.

Here is their last note.....I wonder which country they outsource their Tech Support to. Last time I checked when they were in my server it was India, I believe.

Hello,

The Hard drive on which your vps Private area was saved got out of disk space . Now we are moving that to a different hard drive which ample disk space.

Regards,
    Shane