Reseller Beginner

Hello,

I am looking to buy a reseller account. I am just starting out and I am curious how much space and bandwidth should I be looking at? I saw lots of hosts with only 30-50 GB of bandwidth and 1-10 GB of space. Should I be looking for more space and bandwidth?

Thanks,
    Depeche

It really all depends on your budget and what your requirements are. What do you anticipate to be doing? Are you reselling or need a reseller to consolidate some existing accounts?

Do you need something high quality or average?
    InnoHosting, Performance Web Hosting || US: 1-888-522-INNO UK: 0800 612 8075
    Web Hosting - Virtual Servers - Managed Servers - Application Hosting
    Reseller Hosting with WHMCS & Preloaded KB | SSL | activGuard | End User Support
    LiteSpeed / CloudLinux / Idera Backups / True 24x7 Support / 10+ Years in Business

Quote Originally Posted by Depeche View Post
    Hello,

I am looking to buy a reseller account. I am just starting out and I am curious how much space and bandwidth should I be looking at? I saw lots of hosts with only 30-50 GB of bandwidth and 1-10 GB of space. Should I be looking for more space and bandwidth?

Thanks,
    Depeche

Usually from what I've seen bandwidth is 10~20x as much as the disk space. For example, 1gb disk=10~20gb bandwidth. That's what I've seen usually. If your looking for a high quality reseller account look @ innohosting their awesome

I use HostGator and get 24GB space and 250GB bandwidth. It's a great start
    Zomex ~ Templates & services for web hosting resellers since 2009!
    #1 Responsive whmcs templates | WHMCS | Wordpress | HTML5 | Settings area
    █ Hire us for responsive whmcs integration - enhance your website using the new "Six" template!

Quote Originally Posted by sequencehosting View Post
    I use HostGator and get 24GB space and 250GB bandwidth. It's a great start
    Yes, I use to use HostGator's reseller program... works perfectly. Great deals as well
    Jon Stephenson

HostGator Reseller plans are great,You can also try ResellerZoom or SIte5

It's also helpful to make sure that your host will allow you to easily upgrade your plan if you realize you didn't purchase one that was quite big enough, or downgrade vise-versa for that matter.
    01 Networks / Hosting and Consulting Services
    Pay as you Go hosting -- the cheapest prices in town.
    Zimbra (Network Edition and Open Source) Hosting
    100% full uptime guarantee / 24x7x365 support

If you're just starting out with none to few clients then those plan specifications would be fine. You probably think that 10GB of space isn't much and I completely understand but in reality, most clients don't even use most of their disk space and bandwidth. However, this would ultimately be overselling so you'll likely to look for a provider that offers "overselling enabled" reseller plans. This way you're not limited by the number of accounts you can create based on the disk and bandwidth resources by your own plans.

If you are looking to oversell disk space and bandwith, then you should make sure the hosting company allows overselling.

Quote Originally Posted by Depeche View Post
    Hello,

Thanks,
    Depeche
    Start with a smaller package, im sure it will take you time even to fill a 10GB reseller account to start with.
    if you already have clients hosted, check out the usage statistics of your current clients , and do the math on what balance of disk space vs bandwidth will be needed.
    beast5.com - Managed Hosting Solutions 2004 - 2016

Start with small pakages.. i think 24gb by hostgator is more than enough at the start.

Make sure if a company offers overselling so that you can offer your own plans and pakages without any hassle.

Make sure if a company offers overselling so that you can offer your own plans and pakages without any hassle.
    So, "not overselling" is a hassle?

It's just a different type of offer, which may or may not fit one's purposes.

I think your business model needs to be planned out before you start looking for hosting.

You need to be sure of:

1. The kind of plans you will offer
    2. The kind of platform you want? (Windows/Nix)
    3. The control panel you need? (CPanel, Helm, Plesk etc)
    4. Technologies you want to offer? (PHP? RUBY? ASP?)

Once you have your plan worked out, its not too hard to search for a webhosting provider.
    [[ Reyox Communications / USA based cloud servers & support / 9 years of hosting websites ]]
    [[ Affordable ASP.NET4, ColdFusion, PHP & MS-SQL, MySQL, cPanel/WHM & Windows Reseller Hosting + Virtual Private Servers ]]
    (www.reyox.com) - Mention WHT and get a discount on your first month!

I think the critical point to ask is - what's your USP? What makes your service different to the 10000000's out there already?

I definitely agree with Cylestyne that you need to figure this stuff out before looking for hosting, but the 4 points mentioned come after deciding what makes your service different IMO.

You need to figure out what you USP(s) are and what niche you want to target. After that it will probably be clear how the rest of the service should be formed (e.g. which technologies are appropriate, limitations on control panel, budget etc.).
    UK, Chicago, & Singapore Fully Managed Cloud VPS
    UK & Arizona Jelastic Java, PHP & Ruby PaaS

Comprehensive SLAs, backups, full SSD, rebootless kernel updates.
    Experienced managed hosting provider since 2001. True 24x7 Support & Server Management

Quote Originally Posted by Cylestyne View Post
    I think your business model needs to be planned out before you start looking for hosting.

You need to be sure of:

Once you have your plan worked out, its not too hard to search for a webhosting provider.
    Right on the mark in my opinion. It really boils down to if you want to compete with the endless sea of hosts/resellers competing on price, or you want to go the other direction and compete on quality and features that are not offered by others.

I serve a very small niche hosting specific scripts. I changed to Cartika Hosting 4+ years ago and had a few reseller accounts, then moved on to a dedicated. I couldn't be happier. I still recommend them quite often and especially their reseller accounts. No, you don't get unlimited this or that, but you do get very high quality hosting in a clustered environment along with being able to setup accounts across multiple hosting platforms and many added features that present a great deal of value such as end-user accessible backups, mail foundry, able to resell dedicated servers etc. I have never seen anything posted bad about their support or service, although some wish their prices were lower (it's not what they are trying to compete on).

It's all in what/who you want to compete with, and what your plan is. Myself, I think playing the endless game of lowering prices and giving unrealistic amounts of resources is foolish...but that's just me

Quote Originally Posted by Cylestyne View Post

You need to be sure of:

I would prefer Linux.

PHP, Perl and ASP would be fine.

I saw some sites that said "Overselling Enabled".

Personally I would prefer to go with a small company not like HostGator.

I guess 10 GB of space and 20 GB of bandwidth would be fine.

My preferences on software would be cPanel/WHM, and WHMCS

And my budget is tight at the moment and will be expanding eventually.

Thanks,

hi all,

me too am looking into a reseller account that allows me to sell under my own brand. basically, i will need an account that comes with everything, from front end to back end, including support and payment. my client will be liasing directly with the host instead of me. my role is solely a salesperson.

so far, i only managed to see that InnoHosting is able to fulfil my requirements, but of course, slightly costly.

any other suggestions?
    LiteBulb

If your just starting, I wouldnt go for much. Would start about 10GB of diskspace and around that much bandwidth, a single customer can surely live on that so long as it isnt a customer who has a famous website to host with you - and then I would go on from there, slowly expanding as customers start rolling in.