Question IP numbers and country markets

Hi there,

I'm about to start up with hosting at the danish market. Servers in denmark are quite expensive so I intend to license servers in neighbouring countries. But what about the IPs? I need to be able to offer dedicated IPs to the customers - especially to e-commerce customers. If I understood it right an IP contains a country code. I lease servers in a neighbouring country but where should IPs with the danish country code then come from?

Thanks
    John

You have some of it right..

But IP's depend on the network the server is hosted in.

Its going to be very costly for you to have a server lets say hosted in GERMANY with danish IP's attached to it.

Its easier for you to just host it in GERMANY with GERMANY ip's

if you really need those Danish IP's then as your starting out, its more cost effective for you just to lease a danish server.

You need to go over your business plan to cater for the extra cost.

Thanks for your reply. As for me it doesn't matter if the IPs are danish or not. In denmark nameservers should be registered, and paid for, before danish .dk domains can be hosted on them. So do you mean that it doesn't matter from where the IPs are as long as the nameservers can host the .dk domains? That would be very fine.

John

I dont understand what you mean about
    "In denmark nameservers should be registered, and paid for, before danish .dk domains can be hosted on them. So do you mean that it doesn't matter from where the IPs are as long as the nameservers can host the .dk domains?"

please explain more, i should be able to help

are you saying that the nameservers that the .dk TLD gets pointed to have to have Danish IP's?

eg.

ns1.mycompany.com - has to be a danish ip?
    ns2.mycompany.com - has to be a danish ip?

If your main problem lies in " denmark nameservers should be registered, and paid for, before danish .dk domains can be hosted on them"

then i think you might be wrong, bcos...

Some time ago i registered a .dk domain and was able to park the domains at sedo whose servers were located in some other european country and not denmark.

I hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by Briggsie View Post
    I dont understand what you mean about
    "In denmark nameservers should be registered, and paid for, before danish .dk domains can be hosted on them. So do you mean that it doesn't matter from where the IPs are as long as the nameservers can host the .dk domains?"

please explain more, i should be able to help
    I don't know if it works so technically in some way, but nameservers used for .dk domains should be approved by DK Hostmaster. I contacted them a while ago and there were a cost per nameserver. Thats not the problem. I just hope that it will work for nameservers on servers in neighbouring countries.

I don't see anything about payment at the english section of dk-hostmaster.dk

I need to ask them how it works if danish domains are hosted on foreign servers - if it's a problem in any way, as my company will be geographically in denmark.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Briggsie View Post
    are you saying that the nameservers that the .dk TLD gets pointed to have to have Danish IP's?

eg.

ns1.mycompany.com - has to be a danish ip?
    ns2.mycompany.com - has to be a danish ip?
    That's what I would like to know. If that's the case I would have to rent expensive danish servers.

John

Quote Originally Posted by raja314 View Post
    Some time ago i registered a .dk domain and was able to park the domains at sedo whose servers were located in some other european country and not denmark.

I hope this helps
    That is good news. Hope that it is so but I'm in denmark so I need to be sure that there isn't any legal problem etc.

John

You guys are not making sense, IP addresses are not allocated by country, they are allocated by RIPE who gives them to ISPs who request them. And you don't need a Danish domain to be parked in Denmark, you can park it anywhere in the world you desire so long as your registrar has the ip address where it can forward your nameservers and domain to its all fine.

Quote Originally Posted by lemeneid View Post
    You guys are not making sense, IP addresses are not allocated by country, they are allocated by RIPE who gives them to ISPs who request them. And you don't need a Danish domain to be parked in Denmark, you can park it anywhere in the world you desire so long as your registrar has the ip address where it can forward your nameservers and domain to its all fine.
    So you believe that anyone can host .dk domains on any foreign nameserverss without being registeret with dk-hostmaster.dk. Why do they then require nameservers to be registered with them before being allowed to host danish domains?

John

Quote Originally Posted by lemeneid View Post
    I just received a mail froom dk-hostmaster.dk. They say that anytime a danish domain are to be moved to other nameserver whether it be in denmark or in foreign countries, the nameservers should be approved by DK Hostmaster. Well, I suppose that answers my question - .dk domains can be hosted on any IP but .dk domains won't be moved to other nameservers before these have been approved.

John

Quote Originally Posted by nogi View Post
    So you believe that anyone can host .dk domains on any foreign nameserverss without being registeret with dk-hostmaster.dk. Why do they then require nameservers to be registered with them before being allowed to host danish domains?

John
    The reason why you need the nameservers registered first is cus the domain will not work unless you forward your nameserver to a valid ip address with your registrar or the ip address of your server, thats the fundamental issue with what your registrar has with you.

Quote Originally Posted by nogi View Post
    I just received a mail froom dk-hostmaster.dk. They say that anytime a danish domain are to be moved to other nameserver whether it be in denmark or in foreign countries, the nameservers should be approved by DK Hostmaster. Well, I suppose that answers my question - .dk domains can be hosted on any IP but .dk domains won't be moved to other nameservers before these have been approved.

John
    See above.