Thread: 10tb.com

10tb.com

Anyone have some Bandwidth graphs from 10tb.com showing you can spike up and use the full gig port they supply you with on their servers?

I didn't look long, but I found one that had spikes above 100mbit, but that's really it. You tend to go above the 10tb transfer if you go way above the 100mbit, so we rarely see to much of it.

While looking I also found this guy on a 100mbit unmetered deal...hehe, he is surely getting his money worth

D
    Ditlev Bredahl. CEO,
    OnApp.com & SolusVM.com + Cloud.net & CDN.net

you cannot use full gigabit on their servers as soon as you reach 500mbit softlayer automated system will block server port as an precautionary measure (safety against server exploit / ddos as per them)

Quote Originally Posted by bhanuprasad1981 View Post
    you cannot use full gigabit on their servers as soon as you reach 500mbit softlayer automated system will block server port as an precautionary measure (safety against server exploit / ddos as per them)
    Doesn't that defeat the purpose of having a GigE port?

Do you have any proof to back that up?

Assuming that's true, can you request for that precautionary measure to be disabled?

Quote Originally Posted by Orien View Post
    Assuming that's true, can you request for that precautionary measure to be disabled?
    Why would softlayer build a system like that, it defeats the purpose of a gigabit port. It's probably just hearsay.

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/8691/picture9o.png

That is not true.

its because its shared.. its the only explaination..

Overselling ports and a result of that is not being able to use full speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Briggsie View Post
    its because its shared.. its the only explaination..

Overselling ports and a result of that is not being able to use full speed.
    Softlayer isn't like FDC. With Softlayer you can push 1000Mbps, 24/7/365, granted you can pay for the bandwidth

then howcome I reached full gigebit speed with no issue for a full day straight?
    Leader of the new anti sig spamming club.

okay i take back what i said..

i was going on the information that was provided within this thread

once i had my server main ip blocked the reason they gave :-

Exceeded Bits Out: 917.4 M (Threshold: 500 M)

The data center has an automatic protection system that blocks a server if it looks like a possible attack is leaving a server.

i asked them to disable such things since in whole month i dont even use 2tb of BW

they say :-

Unfortunately, that is not possible. The server appears to be fine now, since you only have about 25 megabits per second of traffic leaving the server. The reason the block was put in place was because you had 900 megabits of traffic per second, and the automatic block kicks in at 500 megabits per second.

it was some two month ago when i took new server , i am not sure about present system , till now rather than small glitches i am very happy customer of 10TB

once i had my server main ip blocked the reason they gave :-

Exceeded Bits Out: 917.4 M (Threshold: 500 M)

The data center has an automatic protection system that blocks a server if it looks like a possible attack is leaving a server.

i asked them to disable such things since in whole month i dont even use 2tb of BW

they say :-

Unfortunately, that is not possible. The server appears to be fine now, since you only have about 25 megabits per second of traffic leaving the server. The reason the block was put in place was because you had 900 megabits of traffic per second, and the automatic block kicks in at 500 megabits per second.

it was some two month ago when i took new server , i am not sure about present system , till now rather than small glitches i am very happy customer of 10TB
    I could understand if your a customer who uses 25Mbps for days on end, and then one day you use 900Mbps for days at a time. Softlayer denies there is such a system though.

i was transferring backups that day, i don't use more than 25mbit in average

What were you uploading at the time when the notice came? If it was a torrent with multiple connections and you were hitting more than 500mbps, that might be the issue here.

Anyway, I don't think such a system should be enforced all the time, but DCs have to monitor such traffic to ensure that such traffic does not impede the performance of other servers in the same node, anyways, having a gigabit port doesn't mean you get to use it all the time, unless it is dedicated, on a shared port, it'll be difficult to even reach that speed sustainably for many reasons.

I've seen some of our clients doing above 500mbit earlier, so that is not true (as confirmed by SL).
    However they do have measures in place to deal with odd traffic spikes.

D
    Ditlev Bredahl. CEO,
    OnApp.com & SolusVM.com + Cloud.net & CDN.net