Authorize.net gateway + merchant account with less fees?

I currently have a merchant account with Wells Fargo and a Authorize.net account through them also (as a package). Their fees seem astronomical to me. I am doing about $1200 in credit card transactions and last month I was charged over $120 in fees!

Is this normal? Should I look elsewhere for a merchant/authorize.net gateway?

I originally went with my bank because it is nice to have my personal and business accounts in the same web interface. But my personal account has NO fees at all... why the business so much?

Quote Originally Posted by eger View Post
    I currently have a merchant account with Wells Fargo and a Authorize.net account through them also (as a package). Their fees seem astronomical to me. I am doing about $1200 in credit card transactions and last month I was charged over $120 in fees!

I originally went with my bank because it is nice to have my personal and business accounts in the same web interface. But my personal account has NO fees at all... why the business so much?
    Try CDGCommerce, their fees are very reasonable.

I don't use Authorize.NET because the fact that you have to be over qualified to get anything, that's my experience with them at least.
    Not sure what to put here :-P

You don't mention if the fees are for your credit card transactions or for your account in general?

Your going to pay at 3%?? in credit card feeds.... Thats $36, $25-$35 authorize.net gateway fee.. Now your are $61-$71. Monthly fees for wells fargo checking accounts $5-$15.. Now your up to $66-$86.. Merchant Processing fee, $20-$30, now your at $86-$106

So your left with $20-$40.. Authorize.net charges like 50 cents a transaction?, So we can assume you processed 40-80 transactions?

Does this about cover it? Basically people who only charge a couple grand a month get screwed....
    Personnal Blog
    PHPJack Inc. Technology Consulting Services
    I can help you with your technology needs from beginning to end.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberlot View Post
    You don't mention if the fees are for your credit card transactions or for your account in general?

Your going to pay at 3%?? in credit card feeds.... Thats $36, $25-$35 authorize.net gateway fee.. Now your are $61-$71. Monthly fees for wells fargo checking accounts $5-$15.. Now your up to $66-$86.. Merchant Processing fee, $20-$30, now your at $86-$106

So your left with $20-$40.. Authorize.net charges like 50 cents a transaction?, So we can assume you processed 40-80 transactions?

Does this about cover it? Basically people who only charge a couple grand a month get screwed....
    The fees include both. I only process about 15 transactions with higher amounts so your numbers are a little shifted. It's also hard to say what fees are what because they are usually all rolled into 2 fees which are just labeled 'bankcard fee'. But basically, Yes. It feels like I am that little guy who gets screwed

Quote Originally Posted by mooseweb View Post
    Try CDGCommerce, their fees are very reasonable.

I don't use Authorize.NET because the fact that you have to be over qualified to get anything, that's my experience with them at least.
    I am checking out CDG now. At first glance, using them as the merchant + gateway and only keeping my business bank account will save a LOT of money...

Hopefully it is not too good to be true

Quote Originally Posted by cyberlot View Post

Wow, those fees are pretty high. My merchant account looks more like this:

2.2% per transaction
    $0.20 per transaction
    $10.00 gateway fee
    eVerity.com
    Celebrating 9 years of customer service. Domain names, shared/semi-dedicated/dedicated hosting, SSL certificates, merchant accounts, reseller options, and referral program, since July 2000.

Quote Originally Posted by eger View Post

Wow, not normal. Give e-onlinedata.com a shot for a authorize.net account, my merchant account of choice

Thanks for the additional suggestions. Going to get quote from e-onlinedata.com also.

e-Online is overpriced in their monthly fees. For a start up, I would recommend PayQuake.com

MerchantFocus has lower rates than PayQuake. MF includes Authorize.Net and has been around a while, so I would highly recommend them.

2.19% VISA/MasterCard Qualified Discount Rate
    $0.24 per Transaction
    $10.00 Monthly Service Fee (includes Monthly Statement)
    eVerity.com
    Celebrating 9 years of customer service. Domain names, shared/semi-dedicated/dedicated hosting, SSL certificates, merchant accounts, reseller options, and referral program, since July 2000.

According to MF's website they charge an additional $15/month for Authorize.net. With PayQuake you can get a merchant account and authnet for around $10/month (including the monthly statement fee and authorize.net access fee)

We use Chase bank , they have normal rate, but payments hit our account within 24 hours guaranteed. In this economy cash flow is what wins.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>