Thread: MX Records

MX Records

I have a domain(ex. mydomain.com) hosted on a shared windows server, I also have a dedicated Linux server with a different company.

What I would like to do is have the mail be handled by the Dedicated Linux Server(cPanel/WHM), while the site is running on the shared windows server.

I understand I would need to change the MX Records for the domain on the Windows Server to point to the dedicated server's mail server IP Address (mail.SERVER IP ADDRESS.com ?), but do I also have to create an account on the linux server to handle the mail (example forwarders/auto responders).

If that is the case, how do I tell it to take care of all the mail coming for the domain mydomain.com?

If you have Linux Mail server inplace in your organisational network and wanted to make use of it from windows, then you can set the Smarthost on IIS SMTP.
    Live Your DreamZ
    ~Besty

On your linux machine, go ahead and create a full cPanel account for your domain. Once that's done, configure all of your mailboxes as you'd like. Then in DNS create an A record for 'mail.domain.com' to point to the IP of your cPanel machine and then set the MX record to mail. .

After that, you should be good to go.

This will deliver all mail to your linux machine, and your mail clients will have to check their mail on this machine as well. So make sure everyones using 'mail.domain.com' for the mailservers in their mail clients.

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown-Services View Post

What I would like to do is have the mail be handled by the Dedicated Linux Server(cPanel/WHM), while the site is running on the shared windows server.
    Adding this to the dns in the old server, should do the trick.
    Code:
    mail IN A cpanel_Server_IP
    domain.com IN MX mail.domain.com
    No need for any other configuration changes in the old host. cPanel will automatically route mail, if emails accounts are configured on the cPanel server.
    David | www.cliffsupport.com
    Affordable Server Management Solutions sales AT cliffsupport DOT com
    CliffWebManager | Access WHM from iPhone and Android