A Digg Proof VPS host for under $50/month

I have finally made the decision to shift from shared hosting and pickup a VPS(fully managed) host. I maintain a couple of relatively moderate traffic blogs (with about 200,000 monthly visits each) which and they also occasionally (once in about 2 months0 grace Digg's frontpage.

I run the blogs on Wordpress and use caching plugins. Can anyone advise me on the amount of memory that I would need to stay alive during such high traffic spikes. (I am looking at a bandwidth range of 500GB/month)

I had considered ServInt as they offer a good price to performance ratio but I had an email conversation with one of their support members who tells me that the base plan they have ($49/ month which include 768 MB of memory) would not 'digg proof' my site. My current budget of $50 would not allow me to take their higher plan that she suggested so now I am open to other ideas. I hear good reviews about KnownHost and Wired Tree too but see that they offer much less memory for the same price.

Any suggestions?

Well, I'd suggest you to increase your budget in order to get a reliable and "digg proof" VPS as you will need to really good amount power in place to have your VPS ready for all kinds of spikes. Some of the premium providers would be able to provide you with such solutions or else, you can also consider a low end dedicated server.
    ██ Softsys Hosting ██ - 9 Years In Business - 24/7 In-House Support - Enterprise DDoS Protection Available!

Enterprise Dedicated Servers - WHT Exclusive Windows & Linux VPS (US/UK/Singapore) - Failover Ready Cloud VM's

Smile RAM Caching

If you only have a small number of websites likely to get "dugg",
    you could do quite well with ram based caching, e.g memcached

Take look at www.esited.com

I am one of their customers that have been with them 6+ months, Really satisfied with their services. And I think they are currently running a double resource special, might wanna take advantage of that.
    All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.

What sort of caching do you use? Are you using WP Super Cache or alternative caching methods? If you can be more specific, I'd be more than willing to help you a bit further .
    Michael T. @ Resellr.Net - CEO
    The Premier Reseller Hosting Solution
    Visit Us @ Resellr.Net | Follow Resellr.Net on Twitter

Super Cache doesn't work on my current host. I am using Hyper Cache now.

Is there any way you can stretch to one of servints more expensive packages. Their $50 one is pretty generous having recently been upgraded.
    How experienced are you at managing a server? If you have the knowledge to do so yourself then you can probably get a better deal elsewhere on an unmanaged server, but if you need the support servint are legendary and worth finding the extra money or facing a slowdown now and again.
    --
    Rich

A Cloud-Based solution may be better suited however, caching at the root is going to be quite effective, if you're able to pull it off. WPSC is a much better plug-in as it offers multiple caching abilities.

That aside, installing xCache in combination with WPSC is going to be much more effective than the current plug-in that you're using.

WPSC will cache pages to HTML files, xCache will improve said performance and the file handling and the xCache plug-in will cache commonly used variables so that they don't have to be called from the database on each and every page load (something WPSC does not yet handle).
    Michael T. @ Resellr.Net - CEO
    The Premier Reseller Hosting Solution
    Visit Us @ Resellr.Net | Follow Resellr.Net on Twitter

Servint.net won't let you down

Quote Originally Posted by titan911 View Post
    considered ServInt as they offer a good price to performance ratio
    I don't think you will find a better managed vps for the price. I give credit to ServInt for being honest with you. As stated, KnownHost & WiredTree are also excellent hosts... but offer less resources for the money.

I agree with the others, you should focus on optimizing your website thru caching AND you should probably do your best to increase your budget.

If you know what you are doing, go unmanaged and tryout vps.net. With vps.net you can increase/decrease your vps resources on the fly. That would help you with your possible DIGG spikes. BUT considering you are moving from shared hosting, I would stick with a high quality managed vps host like ServInt.

Quote Originally Posted by titan911 View Post
    Super Cache doesn't work on my current host. I am using Hyper Cache now.
    Your best bet on surviving the Digg front page without more hardware is to use a caching reverse proxy.

The problem with Hyper Cache or other WP caching system is that for every visitor you're still hitting the PHP interpreter, which consumes a lot of resources and could be slow.

Put a reverse proxy such as Nginx in front of your Apache/PHP/WP setup and use Nginx to cache your content, preferrably with Memcached. That way you don't even have to hit PHP. Nginx will serve cached content directly from Memcached it's extremely fast and can support a very large number of concurrent users.

You don't necessarily need to increase the budget to handle a Digg swarm. In fact, I'd argue that you can probably handle Digg with a cheaper VPS down around the $30 mark.

Suggestions:
    1) Static cache as much as you possibly can
    2) Make sure you've got some RAM dedicated to MySQL query caching
    3) Ditch Apache in favour of Lighttpd, Lightspeed, or nginx
    4) Consider a reverse proxy to cache everything
    5) Use a PHP accelerator to reduce the hit from the PHP interpreter (these cache the compiled bytecode). eAccelerator and APC are two popular ones.
    6) Try to offload some stuff to a CDN such as SimpleCDN, their costs are in-line with a decent bandwidth. These tend to be pay-as-you-go and so can work great for surges/spikes in demand
    7) If you've written your own application (which you haven't since you're using WordPress), then optimize!

As long as your webserver is configured correctly with caching, any VPS host that does not oversell their servers and has enough CPU/memory to burst to when you get dug, you should be OK.
    Ekin Ersoy
    Stagnom Servers | Europe Dedicated Servers with Redefined Support
    Follow us on Twitter: @StagnomUK | Like us on Facebook: facebook.com/Stagnom

Optimize it correctly and you will be fine. No need to go dedicated to become dig proof. Cache, Accelerate, and you will be fine.