Renting a Dedicated Server and selling it as VPS hosting

Hi Everyone,
    I am looking at getting the following server and then chopping it up and selling it as VPS hosting.

Intel Gainestown 2.4Ghz - 16 Logical CPUs (Latest Intel CPU Architecture)
    16Gb DDR3 ECC Kingston FB-DIMM 1333Mhz Memory
    4 x 500Gb Seagate Barracuda Hard Drives
    3Ware 9650SE-4LP PCI-E Hardware RAID Controller - RAID 5 Cofiguration
    10,000Gb Monthly Data Transfer on 100Mbit Port
    Dedicated /27 IP Allocation - 29 Useable IPs
    CentOs

Does anyone have any recommendations?

I am looking for one Server on the West Coast USA, East Coast USA and one in the EU.

I am also happy to use a different company for each location if means I get a better deal.

Thanks In Advance.

Chang

Post What Control Panel, Xen or OpenVZ

I would go RAID 10, not RAID 5 for better I/O performance.

Also, What VPS Control Panel will you use? The market is still fragmented, due to the issues with LX Labs / HyperVM.
    I'm still working on customizing DTC-Xen to work with OpenVZ

Xen would be a better on a high end server, but doesn't allow burstable RAM Like OpenVZ does.

I'd try to look for at least some WD RE3 drives, if not 10K RPM SCSI drives. Either that or split the machines up a bit more since I/O is pretty important. I'd also recommend Adaptec raid controllers over 3ware.
    478east
    High Bandwidth Servers
    Custom Hosting Solutions

Quote Originally Posted by GridHostJohn View Post
    I would go RAID 10, not RAID 5 for better I/O performance.

Also, What VPS Control Panel will you use? The market is still fragmented, due to the issues with LX Labs / HyperVM.
    I'm still working on customizing DTC-Xen to work with OpenVZ

Xen would be a better on a high end server, but doesn't allow burstable RAM Like OpenVZ does.
    I am not willing to use HyperVM till they have sorted themselves out. So currently looking at Xen and Virtuozzo

Your point on Raid 10 could be a very valid point.

Thanks

Chang

That's correct. I'd recommend you Adaptec RAID 2405 4-port (RAID10) and 15k SCSI disks (though of lesser capacity) since disk I/O will be a major bottleneck once you add upto 10 VPS's. We are using these on our VPS host machines and it is performing fantastically!
    ██ Softsys Hosting ██ - 9 Years In Business - 24/7 In-House Support - Enterprise DDoS Protection Available!

Enterprise Dedicated Servers - WHT Exclusive Windows & Linux VPS (US/UK/Singapore) - Failover Ready Cloud VM's

Quote Originally Posted by cristibighea View Post
    I'd try to look for at least some WD RE3 drives, if not 10K RPM SCSI drives. Either that or split the machines up a bit more since I/O is pretty important. I'd also recommend Adaptec raid controllers over 3ware.
    That is something that has been spoken about within Chang but its getting a good price for the server and being able to sell it easy.

Thanks

Chang

Smile Xen & OpenVZ

Another trick with Xen, is have a separate drive array for swap space, if offered.

Most of the advice for OpenVZ, with burstable memory, overselling etc. applies to Virtuozzo. The main difference is the VZ Power Panel, and the Copy-On-Write support, and the cost!

BTW DTC-Xen is freely available http://www.gplhost.com/software-dtc-xen.html

The recommendation for the Adaptec 2405 is good. It's a solid card, great price and faster than the 3ware price equivalent.

I would recommend slightly bigger hard drives, 750GB at least, or SAS drives. It depends what fits in your pricing model, how many clients you're targeting per node etc as well.

RAID 10 is great for speed and redundancy, I would recommend that personally too.

Good luck with it.