How to - personal web server?

Hi,

Are there any guides that I could get hold for hosting my own web server?

Generally, I have a few domains, and am hosting with Surpass Hosting. Oout of interest, I would like to experiment to setup my own web server, and have a few non-commercial domains pointed to it.

If only I can get hold of "Setting up web server for dummies". I would also need to know if Windows or Linux(Red Hat) is the way to go.

I am running on 2 hardwares, mainly iMac and a Intel notebook. I will be setting up the notebook as the hosting server.

Any lights?
    LiteBulb

If you plan to move your websites to your notebook, I'd recommend against that.

On Windows, you can download Xampp which is easy to install and use, and on Linux you should setup everything yourself, but if you don't have the skill for it, I wouldn't try, since you could end up having to reinstall if you botch a command.
    478east
    High Bandwidth Servers
    Custom Hosting Solutions

Just install apache for windows, the manual they have is pretty self-explanatory.
    Not sure you install a web server on apache tho so can't help you with that.

Quote Originally Posted by cristibighea View Post
    If you plan to move your websites to your notebook, I'd recommend against that.

On Windows, you can download Xampp which is easy to install and use, and on Linux you should setup everything yourself, but if you don't have the skill for it, I wouldn't try, since you could end up having to reinstall if you botch a command.
    i agree that moving to notebook solution can slow everything up. however, the site is for experiment purposes and furthermore, i doubt there will be any traffic at all.

i do not have any skill, but am curious to pick up or at least, know the basics to set it up. i will look into Xammp as you suggested. Thanks!!!
    LiteBulb