Thread: list of hosts

list of hosts

Greetings -

I have tried googling and more traditional means as well, but I am not able to find a good list of large to medium size hosts.

I'm getting ready to launch a service that they could use, and I'm trying to develop my list to reach out to them. I'm open to paying for a good list, but so far I've come across only very short lists or really bad data. Ideally I'm looking for a list with 400+ hosts, and contact data would be a nice bonus. Any help or pointers to a good source is appreciated.

Thanks.

I'm not aware of any such list - and depending on how you go about it - directly contacting hosts to offer a service of some sorts will often be seen as unsolicited spam.

Good luck!
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

Your best bet would be to create a site stating the purpose of the list and make posts on forums to request the companies to signup for participation in the list.
    FiberPeer.Com | | REAL DDoS Protection | Cloud Hosting | VPS | Dedicated Servers | High Bandwidth Hosting | 1Gbps-10Gbps Unmetered
    FiberPeer DDoS Mitigation | ethProxy Upgraded! | 14-Years Experience | Emergency 24/7 Support
    Visit us @ www.fiberpeer.com

Quote Originally Posted by serverorigin View Post
    Your best bet would be to create a site stating the purpose of the list and make posts on forums to request the companies to signup for participation in the list.
    But don't do that here - that would be "mining" the member base which is actually very much against the rules.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    But don't do that here - that would be "mining" the member base which is actually very much against the rules.
    That would probably be against the rules at most major webmaster forums.

dkcc ... there are lots of host at webhostingtalk.com , you may post your requirements and get quoted by them, even you can get reviews about them on webhostingtalk. Try it.
    Gineey - JodoHost.com
    Windows VPS, HSphere Reseller, ASP.NET, ColdFusion & more!
    True 24x7x365 Live Support, Microsoft Gold Certified Partner
    Hosting over 85,000+ websites across 100+ countries!

I've just searched in Google for a list of web hosts and have found some. If you can't find one with 400 or more on, then just combine several lists. If you want data on these host, I'm not sure how easy that'll be.

What are your hosting requirements? That would help narrow down the web host suggestions provided to you..
    InnoHosting, Performance Web Hosting || US: 1-888-522-INNO UK: 0800 612 8075
    Web Hosting - Virtual Servers - Managed Servers - Application Hosting
    Reseller Hosting with WHMCS & Preloaded KB | SSL | activGuard | End User Support
    LiteSpeed / CloudLinux / Idera Backups / True 24x7 Support / 10+ Years in Business

There are some web hosting directories that claim to have thousands of shared hosting providers in their databases.
    Host Color Cloud Servers & Dedicated Hosting & European Infrastructure Hosting
    U.S. Data center 90 miles from Chicago
    Network ★ AS46873 Level 3, Cogent, Hurricane Electric, Retn.net, Midwest Peering
    24/7 Support 1-574-367-2393; Skype: HostColor

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback.

Just to clarify, granted, I could try piecing together a list from scratch, but that would be a drawn-out painful process, plus I wouldn't know a part-timer host versus a 1000+ domain host without more research. I was hoping to get a hold of a list that would take that leg of the work out of this project.

Essentially, there are information providers that make a living offering lists like this, the problem I'm having is the list they have is junk. One site is web design, another is 404, another is an article, etc. We don't have a lot of resources, and building a list from scratch is time and labor intensive. So that's the problem I'm trying to solve ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    Wow... Guess you're right. I wasn't even thinking of it from that angle. But you make sense.

I was more less thinking of it like a review site. In order to be reviewed, you must register your company. Something in that sense.

Sorry - didn't really that through enough

With that in mind ... If I was needing this information, I'd use Google's API to write a bot to export search results based on keywords. Dump that data to SQL and scrape the domains and descriptions.

Good luck
    Last edited by FiberPeer; 07-13-2009 at 02:02 PM.
    FiberPeer.Com | | REAL DDoS Protection | Cloud Hosting | VPS | Dedicated Servers | High Bandwidth Hosting | 1Gbps-10Gbps Unmetered
    FiberPeer DDoS Mitigation | ethProxy Upgraded! | 14-Years Experience | Emergency 24/7 Support
    Visit us @ www.fiberpeer.com

eVerity.com
    Celebrating 9 years of customer service. Domain names, shared/semi-dedicated/dedicated hosting, SSL certificates, merchant accounts, reseller options, and referral program, since July 2000.

http://www.webhostdir.com/ seems to be pretty popular. You may want to check them out.