Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 43
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    USA / UK
    Posts
    4,553

    Thumbs up [Review] WholeSaleInternet

    Summary:

    Excellent Dedicated Server Host That Really Cares About The Customer.

    Price: Very Good
    Support: Outstanding
    Stability: High
    Hardware: Very Good

    Full Review:

    I have been a customer of WholeSaleInternet for the last month and a half and I have been very pleased with just about everything!

    I currently have 5 servers with them - 4 Core2Duo's @2.5 Ghz and 1 Atom 330. I just ordered server number 6 from them too.

    I have been very happy with them. I will note that I have never used any other dedicated server provider - but even still WII is very good.

    I did have an issue when they shorted me in memory over 3 different servers (and I didn't notice for 2 weeks) - they handled this very well and offered to set a time to upgrade the box - I opted to reduce my bill and they did without issue. Haven't had an issue with that since.

    I also had a box that had something intermittently wrong with it (cpu I think) - I sent in a ticket and 3 hours later had a new machine all setup and ready to go - that's quite fast for a full replacement and setup!

    I even had a box with them that was generating "attack" traffic - they were very helpful in allowing me to fix the issue and didn't charge me for any bandwidth overages - I even had it happen twice in 2 days and they were very helpful (I was afraid they might cancel me, but they handled it very well).

    They are the rare case of a large company (based on my service ID's it looks like they get about 100 orders a day) that still gives care and attention to each individual customer like a small operation would - there isn't much automation, but the personal touch is something hard to find in this modern world - they have it, and are very good at it.

    One thing I enjoy is that if they are out of hardware they will give you a slightly more powerful box (bigger CPU) - which is very nice when that happens - about half of the servers I have with them have CPU's 300 mhz faster than I'm paying for - which is very nice to have.

    Pros:
    * Excellent Support
    * Excellent Prices (I'm paying $83.00 for a Core2Duo 2.5 Ghz with 4 GB RAM and 13 IPs on 10mbps unmetered burstable to 100mbps - I'm looking for a similar deal in other locations to expand my coverage but have yet to find it!)
    * No IP Justification (saves me time)
    * High Quality Hardware (when it works)
    * Very Reasonable (they won't cancel you if you do something "bad" - they'll let you correct it instead)
    * 24/7 - they are there at night on the datacenter floor
    * Good Network - 100mbps Shared Level 3 and Cogent Uplinks, with 10 mbps guaranteed.
    * Excellent Location - only 40 ms away from both LA and NY, and only 20 ms away from Dallas.

    Cons:
    * RDNS PTR is done via tickets (Aaron tells me they are working on a control panel)
    * Server Setup Time is 2 or 3 days (I don't mind this but others might)
    * They Don't Check Hardware Before Setup (you have to make sure your machine has nothing wrong with it yourself - easy enough to generate some load and see how it does)
    * No Automatic Remote Reboot (done with tickets or with "shutdown -r now" in ssh)
    * No KVM over IP (not an issue for me but others might need this)
    * Cogent (not the best choice but for the price they charge I'm not complaining, and they do have Level 3 just-in-case)

    Overall I am very satisfied and intend to be a customer of theirs for years to come!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,446
    I completely agree. We have servers with Wholesaleinternet.com and these guys are top-notch.

    Our server was ready in 24 hours and our tickets even at 3AM have been responded to within minutes.

    As for sales tickets, we've waited a couple days. Although, support is the selling point and they are available all the time.
    FiberPeer.Com | | REAL DDoS Protection | Cloud Hosting | VPS | Dedicated Servers | High Bandwidth Hosting | 1Gbps-10Gbps Unmetered
    FiberPeer DDoS Mitigation | ethProxy Upgraded! | 14-Years Experience | Emergency 24/7 Support
    Visit us @ www.fiberpeer.com

  3. #3
    Do they charge for the burstable 100mbps?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,446
    I would recommend checking with WholesaleInternet.com's site or sales team.
    FiberPeer.Com | | REAL DDoS Protection | Cloud Hosting | VPS | Dedicated Servers | High Bandwidth Hosting | 1Gbps-10Gbps Unmetered
    FiberPeer DDoS Mitigation | ethProxy Upgraded! | 14-Years Experience | Emergency 24/7 Support
    Visit us @ www.fiberpeer.com

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    USA / UK
    Posts
    4,553
    Quote Originally Posted by t0mka View Post
    Do they charge for the burstable 100mbps?
    nope - they include that - the only condition is if you burst "too much" they might unplug you for a few hours and ask you to "stop it" (generally I wouldn't burst over very much - once you get to 40 mbps or so the pings to your server start dropping random packets - it is shared 100 mbps after all).

    it's included by default, and on request they will cap the port so you don't have to worry - or you can use "tc" and cap it yourself (which is what I'm doing).

    you'd have to ask them what "too much" is.

    ---

    Quote Originally Posted by serverorigin View Post
    Our server was ready in 24 hours and our tickets even at 3AM have been responded to within minutes.
    I'll agree there - I think my severs take three days because I usually order late friday or saturday, and they'll come online at like 1:30 AM monday morning.

    As for tickets, same goes for low priority stuff too like RDNS changes - that division is off weekends.
    Last edited by ramnet; 07-13-2009 at 02:45 AM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Support Ticket Near You!
    Posts
    1,106
    I'm not sure how great support is.

    I've asked to cancel a server and have it sent some where else.

    Hopefully Aaron will take a look - I'm just waiting till they respond to my ticket. Putting the obligation on them to at least respond.

    I would like to keep hosting with them in the future, but deserve a little bit better than this.

    (Been with them for 3 years).
    HostGuard.net - VPS Control Panel
    Automating and monitoring your hosting business.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    USA / UK
    Posts
    4,553
    Quote Originally Posted by Katatonic View Post
    I'm not sure how great support is.

    I've asked to cancel a server and have it sent some where else.
    <snip>
    Ah, a colocation customer - support is always lower for you since you pay less.

    This is a review of their dedicated servers - which demand a higher level of support.

    Also, I've noticed sometimes they won't notice a ticket if it was sent in late friday or saturday - just "bump" your ticket and they'll get to it.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Ashburn VA, San Diego CA
    Posts
    4,571
    Wait a minute, why should colo customers get less support?

    Also, just because someone pays less means they deserve crappy support?
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | Fully Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    378
    Quote Originally Posted by FastServ View Post
    Wait a minute, why should colo customers get less support?

    Also, just because someone pays less means they deserve crappy support?
    That's exactly what I was wondering.. the reason a colo customer would be paying less is because they're not leasing server hardware.. they should still receive the same quality network and support. Also, at times, colo can cost more money than leasing dedicated servers.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    USA / UK
    Posts
    4,553
    Quote Originally Posted by FastServ View Post
    Wait a minute, why should colo customers get less support?

    Also, just because someone pays less means they deserve crappy support?
    It doesn't have anything to do with paying less.

    It's the type of service - if you co-locate you get walk-in access to the datacenter, and you'll pay remote hands for anything that needs to be done.

    With dedicated it's understood that remote hands are included since it's their machine and not yours...

    If you weren't aware of that then you've either been spoiled by your provider or are relatively new here.

    Of course, WII is very good about not charging for remote hands - and $50 for up to 4U is very very cheap - if it takes them a little longer to get to your non-urgent request to derack a machine then so be it - most companies would charge you $50 just to do that!

    Besides, I'm sure if you sent in a "911" ticket they would respond just as quick to you as anyone else.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Support Ticket Near You!
    Posts
    1,106
    I bumped my tickets.

    I've only contacted support (15 times or so) in 3 years.

    2 of them for RDNS - the rest bumping tickets / asking them to reply. (Had 1 hiccup with a Windows license - was a very easy resolution that again took weeks)

    Even if I'm a colo customer and paying less - I wanted to expand with these Guys. Hence why I started small with them to test their support.

    I have all logs to prove, since I signed up in 06 to now - 99% of my tickets have taken weeks (and months literally) to get a response.

    Now that I've asked for it to be cancelled and moved, it's been 3 weeks since the request of cancellation and nothing. I have bumped the ticket too.

    I've done my bit as a customer - very good one that virtually didn't need any support and always paid on time. I never want to flood their ticket system either - I know what that's like. It's their obligation to maintain their tickets, not mine.

    I don't mind waiting either - I'm extremely patient, courteous etc no matter what the situation - even if it's been weeks to get a machine built.

    I have all logs to prove it. I just want to leave on a good note and wait for them to contact me

    I'm not going to send in a 911 ticket - it's not needed for this; I shouldn't have to either.

    On the plus - my machine (bar initial setup of ~2 months to build 1 system) has been online 99% of the time and very stable. I can't complain about their network.
    HostGuard.net - VPS Control Panel
    Automating and monitoring your hosting business.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,446
    Honestly, I'm not sure it's fair to give such a bad review if:

    1) You won't attempt escalating the ticket to 911 because you're unhappy with the response time.

    2) You expect a fast response with budget colo. Considering in those 15 tickets if they have never charged you a "hands-on" then you must not have much experience with other providers.

    I've been charged $20 for reboots at other providers in the past.

    *shrug* We have nothing but great things to say about WII. They may not be the fastest response but the service is above and beyond any other budget provider we've ever dealt with.

    I can honestly say their tech stayed on the phone with me one night for nearly 2 hours custom rebuilding a kernel after we broke the box by installing a new kernel when the /boot partition was full. No charge. These guys are incredible.

    (Our techs now have a checklist when upgrading the kernels )

    Anyway.. It sounds like you've had good service with them but you make them sound horrible. Shame to see ramnet's topic derailed for such.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Support Ticket Near You!
    Posts
    1,106
    *sigh*

    Just posting an honest review. I didn't compare them to any one else either, so wherever you were charged for reboots etc is irrelevant. I have been very fair with what I have said.

    I don't expect a fast response for a budget colo - I just expect A response, and as said before have waited months just for one.

    Initial setup was a bit of a mixup on my part with them when I needed some parts sent back to the supplier etc.

    Again: The server has been online 99% of the time, I can't complain with that, but support hasn't been up to scratch so there was no point upgrading my network there.

    I was in contact with them over the years, checking up on support improvements - I can't say they've improved a lot.

    911 is for emergencies. I don't do it for an RDNS becaues well - that'd get Aaron etc out of bed just for that? (which is what happens when you do that). Also again, I bumped the ticket over a period of weeks / months to drive a response, and submitted another ticket on top of that after there was no response - plenty of time given to them, patience on my part and I again; was always courteous towards them.

    Also, what's the point of escalating to 911 if the techie is supposedly already attending to it or "on the phone to the supplier" then two weeks later get no response? If I'm specifically told the techie is looking at it; making it a 911 ticket won't exactly do much (because presumably they're already on top of the issue)

    Some of my tickets were left unanswered at all, even after bumping them. I just left it - it's a cheap server and was online. I didn't bother hassling support. Again, I shouldn't have to.

    I've submitted 13 tickets in 3 years to clarify.

    I'm not having a go at them; I just wish things were handled a little bit differently, all I ever requested was: Server to be setup (had part supplier license issue at beginning which we sorted out). IP allocation - took months, Windows 2008 request - never happened due to no response,

    I don't see how I am making them sound horrible. I kept my box with them as an email box only and was good to have that remote offsite. Lucky it's been a solid machine and nothing has gone wrong with it, as well as their stable network. For the price I can't really complain. But still - could've been handled better, even if I wasn't a high end client of theirs.
    HostGuard.net - VPS Control Panel
    Automating and monitoring your hosting business.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    North Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    2,565
    First of all. Thanks for the good review. I hope we can continue to meet your expectations.

    Richard. E-mail me directly with the ticket number and I will personally see to it that you're taken care of quickly.

    That goes for anyone who uses our service, regardless of how much they pay us. (BTW, support doesn't have access to pricing so they have no idea what you pay.) I'm making a real push to improve customer service at all levels of the company. My direct e-mail address is [email protected].
    Aaron Wendel
    Wholesale Internet, Inc. - http://www.wholesaleinternet.net
    Kansas City Internet eXchange - http://www.kcix.net

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Support Ticket Near You!
    Posts
    1,106
    Aaron, it's all good, Rebecca has responded.

    I didn't post here to get a response. Just my honest point of view.

    I've appreciated the service over the past couple of years and dealt with you on a personal level. Thanks. I'll probably be back, just the timing isn't right at the moment.
    HostGuard.net - VPS Control Panel
    Automating and monitoring your hosting business.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    USA / UK
    Posts
    4,553
    Good to see everything went well (they really are good!)

    The only real negative for me (and somehow this slipped my mind earlier) is the lack of IPv6.

    I found that WII has an IPv6 allocation but it seems they might be having issues with upstream carriers.

    I wonder if the situation has progressed any since 2007?

    Other than that, WII is flawless as far as I can tell - my 6th server came up at 1:28 AM this morning (incredible how I predicted 1:30 AM - they sure are punctual!) - it's having some issues but Adam is working on it and I have full faith it will be working perfectly soon enough just like my other servers are

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,882
    Thanks for sharing your experiences. Keep us updated in future also. Hope every thing will stay the same in future also.

  18. #18
    Awesome review.. Question, are those 10mbits unmetered shared or dedicated on the dedicated servers, do you charge extra fee for burstable (asking this because once i got charged almost 3 times more than my montly fee), how long it takes to setup a dedicated server.. right now I'm paying around 210 $ a month for the same as your Intel Core 2Duo 2.5Ghz...

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    USA / UK
    Posts
    4,553
    Well just like I thought they tested my newest server and had it fixed in about 7 hours (you'll note I told them something was wrong at 5:38 AM their time - server was fixed by 2:30 PM) - not bad, and I'm still very happy.

    Quote Originally Posted by t0mka View Post
    Awesome review.. Question, are those 10mbits unmetered shared or dedicated on the dedicated servers, do you charge extra fee for burstable (asking this because once i got charged almost 3 times more than my montly fee), how long it takes to setup a dedicated server.. right now I'm paying around 210 $ a month for the same as your Intel Core 2Duo 2.5Ghz...
    I'll try and answer as much of this as I can.

    1) burstable is included by default (it's a 100mbps port), but be warned if you burst too much they will unplug you (I don't think they do overages) - unless you know how iproute, iptables, and/or tc work I'd have them cap it for you at 10mbps just so you won't get unplugged for a couple of hours for using too much.

    2) Setup time varies between 24 hours and 3 days, depending on day of week and hardware availability (I once waited 4 days b/c they ran out of hard drives).

    3) If the 10mbps isn't dedicated it sure feels like it is .

    4) And yes, you are paying too much

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    246
    Lets just say Aaron and the team will go above and beyond what you want them to do, Aaron spent nearly a whole day on my box trying to find a motherboard that would work with citrix xen. I call that dedication, there's no other company that would do that without charging for it in my opinion.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    MO
    Posts
    629
    I agree, wholesaleinternet has been excellent so far... I have an ongoing review here: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=873506

  22. #22
    I found out today that they don't have any firewall support for dedicated servers. That's a show stopper for me.

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by ramnet View Post
    Well just like I thought they tested my newest server and had it fixed in about 7 hours (you'll note I told them something was wrong at 5:38 AM their time - server was fixed by 2:30 PM) - not bad, and I'm still very happy.



    I'll try and answer as much of this as I can.

    1) burstable is included by default (it's a 100mbps port), but be warned if you burst too much they will unplug you (I don't think they do overages) - unless you know how iproute, iptables, and/or tc work I'd have them cap it for you at 10mbps just so you won't get unplugged for a couple of hours for using too much.

    2) Setup time varies between 24 hours and 3 days, depending on day of week and hardware availability (I once waited 4 days b/c they ran out of hard drives).

    3) If the 10mbps isn't dedicated it sure feels like it is .

    4) And yes, you are paying too much
    Does anyone know whats the burst limit before they "unplug" you? I tried looking for it on their website but couldn't find anything, wondering because I had a server for my WoW Guild where we would post videos of our raids parties and about 60-80+ Players would all watch it at the same time and the 10mbps I had wouldnt do, so sometimes we burst for some time but then when I got the payment I was charged almost an exta $700.

    Whole Sale Internet really look like they are one of the best choices around.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    USA / UK
    Posts
    4,553
    Quote Originally Posted by t0mka View Post
    Does anyone know whats the burst limit before they "unplug" you? I tried looking for it on their website but couldn't find anything, wondering because I had a server for my WoW Guild where we would post videos of our raids parties and about 60-80+ Players would all watch it at the same time and the 10mbps I had wouldnt do, so sometimes we burst for some time but then when I got the payment I was charged almost an exta $700.

    Whole Sale Internet really look like they are one of the best choices around.
    As far as I can tell (being unplugged on 3 occasions over 2 different servers), this is how they do it:

    If you saturate the 100mbps port for ~10 minutes they unplug you (no surprise there)

    If you saturate 50mbps for ~10 minutes they unplug you also.

    Based on my experience, once you go over about 30mbps the server's internet connections will start dropping packets like crazy (eg. lots of packet loss) - the higher you go, the greater the packet loss.

    I would say it is safe to burst to 20mbps for a little while (perhaps a day or 2) - anything higher will risk getting unplugged.

    They have no problem if you saturate up to 10mbps (for example if you're running a busy file download site or a seedbox) - which is good since that's what you're paying for.

    If you are bursting - eg. your traffic spikes to 100mbps for one minute at a time with a pause of 5 minutes in between, you should be ok.

    Basically use common sense - they technically don't have to let you burst anything since that's not in their plan - as long as you don't abuse the fact you can burst above 10mbps they won't bother you - especially if you are mostly bursting on and off constantly as opposed to saturating the link for an extended period of time.

    You will find a lot of WII policies are informal and basically common sense - if it's not in your plan but you can do it anyway, be nice about it or they'll unplug you.

    ---

    BTW, I've ordered yet another server and it came up in 2 days - I had an issue where the tech shorted me 1 GB RAM (I ordered 5 GB and only had 4 GB - this seems to be a common error if you order unusual specs from them) - it was resolved within 30 minutes of the server being turned on, and that includes the time it took me to check it, notify them, confirm that they can take the server down, and have them fix it and plug it back in - so pretty fast resolution - esp since it was at 1:30 - 2 AM their time.

    I also had an issue where the tech gave me the wrong root password - that was resolved in five minutes so I'm still very happy overall.

    Oh - and one more issue I had which is kinda odd was about 10 days ago they sent me a notice of abuse regarding an IP that wasn't one I have assigned to me - it was about 8 IP's higher than my highest one in that block - I don't see it as a big deal so no problem - I get an abuse notice every other week (I resell the boxes (currently 6 of them) as cheap openvz vps's so whenever I get an abuse notice I firewall the service at issue and yell at my customer to fix it) - they seem to be good with abuse notices since most of their clients likely resell the boxes - as long as you are punctual and polite all should be ok.
    Last edited by ramnet; 07-28-2009 at 02:03 PM.

  25. #25
    For How long did they unplug you?
    Quote Originally Posted by ramnet View Post
    As far as I can tell (being unplugged on 3 occasions over 2 different servers), this is how they do it:

    If you saturate the 100mbps port for ~10 minutes they unplug you (no surprise there)

    If you saturate 50mbps for ~10 minutes they unplug you also.

    Based on my experience, once you go over about 30mbps the server's internet connections will start dropping packets like crazy (eg. lots of packet loss) - the higher you go, the greater the packet loss.

    I would say it is safe to burst to 20mbps for a little while (perhaps a day or 2) - anything higher will risk getting unplugged.

    They have no problem if you saturate up to 10mbps (for example if you're running a busy file download site or a seedbox) - which is good since that's what you're paying for.

    If you are bursting - eg. your traffic spikes to 100mbps for one minute at a time with a pause of 5 minutes in between, you should be ok.

    Basically use common sense - they technically don't have to let you burst anything since that's not in their plan - as long as you don't abuse the fact you can burst above 10mbps they won't bother you - especially if you are mostly bursting on and off constantly as opposed to saturating the link for an extended period of time.

    You will find a lot of WII policies are informal and basically common sense - if it's not in your plan but you can do it anyway, be nice about it or they'll unplug you.

    ---

    BTW, I've ordered yet another server and it came up in 2 days - I had an issue where the tech shorted me 1 GB RAM (I ordered 5 GB and only had 4 GB - this seems to be a common error if you order unusual specs from them) - it was resolved within 30 minutes of the server being turned on, and that includes the time it took me to check it, notify them, confirm that they can take the server down, and have them fix it and plug it back in - so pretty fast resolution - esp since it was at 1:30 - 2 AM their time.

    I also had an issue where the tech gave me the wrong root password - that was resolved in five minutes so I'm still very happy overall.

    Oh - and one more issue I had which is kinda odd was about 10 days ago they sent me a notice of abuse regarding an IP that wasn't one I have assigned to me - it was about 8 IP's higher than my highest one in that block - I don't see it as a big deal so no problem - I get an abuse notice every other week (I resell the boxes (currently 6 of them) as cheap openvz vps's so whenever I get an abuse notice I firewall the service at issue and yell at my customer to fix it) - they seem to be good with abuse notices since most of their clients likely resell the boxes - as long as you are punctual and polite all should be ok.

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    USA / UK
    Posts
    4,553
    Quote Originally Posted by t0mka View Post
    For How long did they unplug you?
    Each time I was unplugged it lasted for about 3-4 hours.

    Here is the general procedure:

    1) they unplug you
    2) you notice the box is down and submit a ticket
    3) they tell you it was generating abusive traffic levels and tell you how many packets / second it was moving.
    4) you beg them to plug it back in.
    5) they reboot the machine and plug it back in 3 hours later and tell you to check it.
    6) if it happens again on the same box they will threaten to reload the os (they assume you've been compromised) - if you don't give a satisfactory explaination and promise to fix it they will likely reload the os (in my case I was backing the boxes up to each other over rsync - they didn't reload the os in my case - since at that time I had 3 or 4 boxes with them they might have been lenient - this is how I figured out what they let you burst at - after the first time I rate-limited rsync to 50mbps and that was still too much traffic, so i rate-limited it further - my boxes have all successfully bursted about 15 mbps for an extended period of time (days) without issue so that's why I say 20mbps is "safe" to burst to).

    I couldn't say what they do if it happens 3 times on the same box - and I don't intend on finding out either.

  27. #27
    Thanks for your answers, would be awesome if someone from WSL would answer all this!. Guys where are you!

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    USA / UK
    Posts
    4,553
    Quote Originally Posted by t0mka View Post
    Thanks for your answers, would be awesome if someone from WII would answer all this!. Guys where are you!
    They are running their company!

    If you want their response to your questions you should ask them!

    [email protected]

    [email protected]

    [email protected]

    [email protected]

    take your pick

  29. #29
    Anyone who has a dedicated server and wants the best of the best need to have the following:

    n+1 Compliant Data Center
    Tier 1 Bandwidth (Sorry Cogent)
    Top Level support by real people when needed.

    I know when I started out in the business it was so cool to be able to talk to a person that knew exactly what the issue was and could resolve it.
    Also to have the comfort of knowing that an issue is being taken care of and your not left out in the cold.

    P

    www.getinspace.com

    Boutique Dedicated Servers, VPS and Managed Servers 877-711-HOST

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    North Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    2,565
    Quote Originally Posted by t0mka View Post
    For How long did they unplug you?
    Actually we really don't look at your bandwidth at all. We look at your pps. If it hits 50-100K then chances are you've been compromised.

    In this case we unplug immediately simply because you're attacking someone and if someone were attacking you believe me, you'd want them unplugged asap.

    We then reboot the server so the script stops and give you some time to fix the issue. If you can't fix the issue we'll reload the box. We've never reloaded a box without giving the customer time to get thier data off.
    Aaron Wendel
    Wholesale Internet, Inc. - http://www.wholesaleinternet.net
    Kansas City Internet eXchange - http://www.kcix.net

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    USA / UK
    Posts
    4,553
    Quote Originally Posted by getinspace View Post
    Anyone who has a dedicated server and wants the best of the best need to have the following:

    n+1 Compliant Data Center
    Tier 1 Bandwidth (Sorry Cogent)
    Top Level support by real people when needed.
    yes - and you'll pay an arm and a leg for that.

    WII isn't the best of the best, they are the best of the cheap

    But seriously, they have Level 3 too, and their new datacenter in Oak Towers looks very impressive (I've never been in person but their website does a good job showcasing it), and their support people are very good and very helpful 99% of the time (I haven't found the 1% yet but I'm sure it exists).

    Quote Originally Posted by getinspace View Post
    I know when I started out in the business it was so cool to be able to talk to a person that knew exactly what the issue was and could resolve it.
    Also to have the comfort of knowing that an issue is being taken care of and your not left out in the cold.
    WII Does This! That's why they are so great!

    ---

    Quote Originally Posted by WII-Aaron View Post
    Actually we really don't look at your bandwidth at all.
    We look at your pps.
    Packets per second - usually a reliable measure of "attack traffic" unless you're using 2 boxes to mirror each other as an delayed alternative to raid 1.

    Running rsync over 100mbps burst is not one of the smartest things I've done - thousands of little checksum diff packets going across sets off many alarms - esp on a high number random port.

    Quote Originally Posted by WII-Aaron View Post
    In this case we unplug immediately simply because you're attacking someone and if someone were attacking you believe me, you'd want them unplugged asap.

    We then reboot the server so the script stops and give you some time to fix the issue. If you can't fix the issue we'll reload the box.
    Yes that is perfectly reasonable (from your vantage point it looked like I was attacking someone when in reality I was basically attacking myself - (there's no way you could've known that though) - I'm just happy that you guys were as helpful as you were.

    Quote Originally Posted by WII-Aaron View Post
    We've never reloaded a box without giving the customer time to get their data off.
    That's very good to know

  32. #32
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    1,138
    I never heard alot about this particularly company (positive or negative) but I'm glad to see positive reviews. Nothing is more refreshing then a web hosting business providing quality service to all customers. Keep us posted!
    We develop brand identity for the web.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Services ~ Custom Web Design, Branding & Identity, Development, Hosting & more!
    Portfolio ~ Websites, User Interfaces, Widgets & more!

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    USA / UK
    Posts
    4,553
    Just a quick update:

    This is now my 3rd month with them and I am still very satisfied with their service.

    The only complaint I have is it takes them forever to update SWIP (IP sub-deligation) - a month after I asked my IP's still say they belong to the likes of "Qin Ping" and other ususual things - it may be an ARIN issue though - I have no idea how long such things normally take so....

  34. #34
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Ashburn VA, San Diego CA
    Posts
    4,571
    Quote Originally Posted by ramnet View Post
    Just a quick update:

    This is now my 3rd month with them and I am still very satisfied with their service.

    The only complaint I have is it takes them forever to update SWIP (IP sub-deligation) - a month after I asked my IP's still say they belong to the likes of "Qin Ping" and other ususual things - it may be an ARIN issue though - I have no idea how long such things normally take so....
    It's not an ARIN issue. All they have to do is send ARIN an email and an automated system updates the SWIP within minutes.
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | Fully Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters

  35. #35
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    USA / UK
    Posts
    4,553
    Quote Originally Posted by FastServ View Post
    It's not an ARIN issue. All they have to do is send ARIN an email and an automated system updates the SWIP within minutes.
    I contacted WII again about it and here's the response:
    Code:
    I will get with ARIN and make sure these are processed today.
    
    You will see a $20 credit on your next invoice for the delay.
    
    Thank you.
    Can't ask for much more than that

    These people are good!

  36. #36
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Support Ticket Near You!
    Posts
    1,106
    Wow - they never credited me.

    I was a very loyal customer to them.

    I can say I waited much longer than a few weeks too - for everything.

    I guess they didn't like me.
    HostGuard.net - VPS Control Panel
    Automating and monitoring your hosting business.

  37. #37
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    North Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    2,565
    Quote Originally Posted by Katatonic View Post
    Wow - they never credited me.

    I was a very loyal customer to them.

    I can say I waited much longer than a few weeks too - for everything.

    I guess they didn't like me.
    We love you Richard. It's a new policy. It comes out of Rebecca's paycheck if she doesn't get them processed faster.
    Aaron Wendel
    Wholesale Internet, Inc. - http://www.wholesaleinternet.net
    Kansas City Internet eXchange - http://www.kcix.net

  38. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by WII-Aaron View Post
    Actually we really don't look at your bandwidth at all. We look at your pps. If it hits 50-100K then chances are you've been compromised.

    In this case we unplug immediately simply because you're attacking someone and if someone were attacking you believe me, you'd want them unplugged asap.

    We then reboot the server so the script stops and give you some time to fix the issue. If you can't fix the issue we'll reload the box. We've never reloaded a box without giving the customer time to get thier data off.
    How are pps measure? if its not speed, Kind of new in this stuff, just wondering how it would work.

  39. #39
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    USA / UK
    Posts
    4,553
    Quote Originally Posted by t0mka View Post
    How are pps measure? if its not speed, Kind of new in this stuff, just wondering how it would work.
    measuring pps is done the same way you measure bytes.

    you can use a nice utility called iptraf to look at the current speed and pps on eth0 - very handy to make sure you stay under the limit.

    i did a little test and if i push out enough packets to saturate 100 mbps that are mostly at the MTU (1500) then it uses about 14,000 pps.

    normal traffic is usually less than the MTU though in many cases though.

    ---

    by the way, ordered server number 8 yesterday - still very pleased with the service. they have the swips mostly sorted out now (all except one) too.

  40. #40
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    USA / UK
    Posts
    4,553
    well server number 8 came up 10 minutes ago which is record time for anything I order from WII (~40 hours from order to setup as opposed to the usual 3 day wait I'm used too).

    Unfortunately they put the wrong OS on it

    It seems new setups are the weak point of WII - once they get the box up it's smooth sailing, but it's difficult for them to get that box up just right

    I'm still happy though

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. WholesaleInternet - Ongoing Review
    By subigo in forum Dedicated Server
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 06-24-2010, 01:42 AM
  2. Wholesaleinternet Review (4 Months Review)
    By mtechmedia in forum Dedicated Server
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-14-2008, 03:10 AM
  3. 22 Months at Wholesaleinternet Review
    By boonchuan in forum Web Hosting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-04-2007, 12:06 PM
  4. 18th month review of Wholesaleinternet
    By boonchuan in forum Dedicated Server
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-28-2005, 11:15 PM
  5. 5 Month review on Wholesaleinternet
    By boonchuan in forum Dedicated Server
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-08-2004, 07:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •