Which is better? DirectAdmin or cPanel

Hi all,

I think there has been many debates regarding this issue already, but not to what i want. I'd like to know which hosting control panel option is better for the following configuration:

512MB RAM Dedicated
    0MB Burstable RAM (No burst RAM)
    60GB Disk Space
    600GB Bandwidth

This vps is running about 10 websites which of 3 sites generates about 150 hits/visits per day COMBINED.

Currently my provider is offering me cPanel for free with my package, but it's using about 400MB of RAM almost all the time.

Now my VPS comes real close to the MAX capacity about 3 times a day, but yesterday it had stayed on the Yellow Zone for 5hrs and about 2 days ago it had hit the Yellow Zone atleast 20 times but they're for short periods.

So now they're suggesting me to go for a RAM upgrade to avoid this. But I can't afford to go more than what i pay now for the moment.

So i'm open to suggestions and my clients don't mind what Control Panel they use as most of them don't even access the control panel.

Thanks in advance fellas.

CPanel is using more resources than DA but you can simply disable some that you do not need. Just make sure you optimize your VPS properly to use less ram.
    Specially 4 You
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

well, I think i have done them. Mailman, spamassasin, like stuff r not running. BG process killer is active. using dovecot/pure-ftpd instead of others.

Did a little bit of more but can't remember them now.

DA is very lightweight on resources compared to cPanel, so if you only have 512mb of RAM to work with and your clients don't care about what control panel they have then I would definitely go with DA.
    cPanelDesigns - High Quality & Mobile Ready cPanel Themes

DA is lightweight, works well and also its cheap.
    But personally I love cPanel so if I have the budget for a project I always use it.
    - Buying up websites, side-projects and companies - PM Me! -

DA all the way!

DirectAdmin does everything cPanel can do and it does it faster, smarter, and more stable.

DirectAdmin is the way to go and especially on a VPS. cPanel is ridiculous as far as being full of fluff and being a resource hog.

DirectAdmin is much more streamlined, can be custom skinned, and overall has more stable releases.
    FiberPeer.Com | | REAL DDoS Protection | Cloud Hosting | VPS | Dedicated Servers | High Bandwidth Hosting | 1Gbps-10Gbps Unmetered
    FiberPeer DDoS Mitigation | ethProxy Upgraded! | 14-Years Experience | Emergency 24/7 Support
    Visit us @ www.fiberpeer.com

I should also add... The day cPanel dies for good will be one of the greatest days of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by subigo View Post
    I should also add... The day cPanel dies for good will be one of the greatest days of my life.
    rofl wouldn't hurt my feelings either.

Our DirectAdmin servers NEVER have a problem. cPanel is constantly requiring some kind of tweaking. Especially after updates. (At least on FreeBSD)

Directadmin is seamless, when it updates, you never notice
    FiberPeer.Com | | REAL DDoS Protection | Cloud Hosting | VPS | Dedicated Servers | High Bandwidth Hosting | 1Gbps-10Gbps Unmetered
    FiberPeer DDoS Mitigation | ethProxy Upgraded! | 14-Years Experience | Emergency 24/7 Support

Quote Originally Posted by agnivo007 View Post
    DA all the way!
    cPanel is more professional and the GUI is better.
    Low Cost Storage VPS plans at webprovps.com
    VPS Price Match Guarantee on: All our range of DDOS protected XEN HVM VPS
    == Contact us for any online solution development or managed / unmanaged vps hosting ==

Quote Originally Posted by net View Post
    CPanel is using more resources than DA but you can simply disable some that you do not need. Just make sure you optimize your VPS properly to use less ram.
    And what is the best way to optimize? Easy! NO CONTROL PANEL.

Learn how the software your server runs works (httpd, mta, ftpd, sqld, etc) or hire someone to configure it for you - if you did that you could host all the stuff you need in nearly HALF the resources.

It's a higher upfront cost, but it is well worth it!
    RAM Host -- Premium & Budget Linux Hosting From The USA & EU
    █ Featuring Powerful cPanel CloudLinux Shared Hosting
    █ & Cheap Premium Virtual Dedicated Servers
    Follow us on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by ramnet View Post
    And what is the best way to optimize? Easy! NO CONTROL PANEL.

Learn how the software your server runs works (httpd, mta, ftpd, sqld, etc) or hire someone to configure it for you - if you did that you could host all the stuff you need in nearly HALF the resources.

It's a higher upfront cost, but it is well worth it!
    If he's a hosting provider, most consumers require a control panel.

If you don't think those using the server will mind using DA, then I'd suggest using it - it's incredibly easy to use, so I think that should work in your favour. Given it's low resource usage, I would recommend it by far.

Best of luck!
    Theo Robertson | vividWire | Solid IT solutions for business
    vividWire VPS - Low-latency London, UK VPS based in Telehouse North, SSD RAID10 storage & KVM virtualisation
    vividWire Shared Hosting - Performance UK hosting with cPanel, CloudLinux, CloudFlare, 99.99% SLA

Quote Originally Posted by serverorigin View Post
    If he's a hosting provider, most consumers require a control panel.
    It depends who is target customer is.

Quote Originally Posted by gunemalli View Post
    This vps is running about 10 websites which of 3 sites generates about 150 hits/visits per day COMBINED.

<snip>

So i'm open to suggestions and my clients don't mind what Control Panel they use as most of them don't even access the control panel.
    this is the perfect scenario - hire a freelance server tech to configure a server just the way to want it - you pay them one time. Usually such people will tell you what they did (or it'll be obvious). You then backup that configuration and you are all set until you need to change something drastic - and how often does that really happen? never (and drastic doesn't mean adding new websites or email either).

We actually do this for free and our customers love it. If you aren't afraid to learn how it works then you should really consider something like this - the command line doesn't have to be scary you know.
    RAM Host -- Premium & Budget Linux Hosting From The USA & EU
    █ Featuring Powerful cPanel CloudLinux Shared Hosting
    █ & Cheap Premium Virtual Dedicated Servers
    Follow us on Twitter

Used both and as many others have said, DirectAdmin if you have a server that has limited resources. cPanel is bloated, but is a panel that a lot of people are used to having outside of the WHT community, so that is the only bad thing about using another panel other than cPanel.

another vote for DirectAdmin,
    cpanel is also good, but its MUCH slower then DirectAdmin.
    for a 512MB machine, DirectAdmin will be the best panel.
    beast5.com - Managed Hosting Solutions 2004 - 2016

I would recommend you to go for DA because of it's low resource usage and pricing compared to cPanel.

What is with all the DA fanboys here?

Cpanel absolutely owns all other control panels. If your worried about resources and don't want a control panel don't run one or use webmin.

I could not imagine a world without those amazing cpanel scripts. Easyapache is one of the greatest inventions ever, don't believe me try recompiling apache on your own, it's not for the novice.

Hi all, I'm really sorry for not being active on this thread. It's been a very busy day for me. So i was not able to participate here.

Well from the many reviews that I've read, many who have been working with DA actually have a great respect for it. And the reviews are promising. They all highlight the following key points:
    1) Low resource usage
    2) Much faster than cPanel
    3) Much more stable than cPanel
    4) Lower cost

The only downside i have heard/read about is that patches/updates are taking a long time to come. Maybe this is b'cos the product is stable or maybe other reasons. Also the support takes a bit of a time, but hey even the people in the cPanel forum doesn't know how to answer some questions of mine.

I have never used DA before, except on their site demo. I have used Kloxo and cPanel and I prefer Kloxo over cPanel. Kloxo is fast and less resource hungry and can be tweaked easily without going inside the shell.

@TheLamer: FYI webmin is not a hosting CP. It's a server management GUI meant for server admins. Virtualmin is their hosting cp produt and it's really hard for me to understand and configure.

Since Kloxo is not around for now, I think a switch to DA would be great. I will think on this and in the mean time give me some more ideas.

Thanks all for your kind response

Quote Originally Posted by TheLamer View Post
    What is with all the DA fanboys here?

Cpanel absolutely owns all other control panels. If your worried about resources and don't want a control panel don't run one or use webmin.

I could not imagine a world without those amazing cpanel scripts. Easyapache is one of the greatest inventions ever, don't believe me try recompiling apache on your own, it's not for the novice.
    You obviously haven't used the DirectAdmin Custombuild script.