VPS without control panel

Hi,

Is there anyone here who doesn't install any control panel in their VPS. Do you think it is still better if you do not install any control panel if you already know how to manage your server without it?

Thanks
    Learning...

If you have only 1 to 5 domains to host, then no need.

If you are selling hosting, then I recommend a control panel for easy task.
    Specially 4 You
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

Quote Originally Posted by jamjam View Post
    Hi,

Is there anyone here who doesn't install any control panel in their VPS. Do you think it is still better if you do not install any control panel if you already know how to manage your server without it?

Thanks
    As a user I prefer a non-managed vps with no control panel because it cuts costs. Of course, I can do that because I have the technical knowledge to do everything myself. Not everybody would agree with me, but for those that do, leave the option open.

Well, I'd say a control panel is a must, but it's not the case of "just any panel will work" either. Using a control panel for simply everyday tasks is much much quicker and easier (adding new DNS zones manually for example is a real PitA).

I really like cPanel and its easy-to-use setup. I've tried webmin (as I was pretty familiar with it), but simple tasks take more effort than necessary with it.

I prefer paying $10/12/15 per month, which will save me hours of manual work.

Quote Originally Posted by pitagora View Post
    As a user I prefer a non-managed vps with no control panel because it cuts costs. Of course, I can do that because I have the technical knowledge to do everything myself. Not everybody would agree with me, but for those that do, leave the option open.
    I agree with you. I think control panel should only be installed if you dont know how to configure your server manually or you're going to offer hosting account or if you will host more than 5 or 10 sites in your vps. Besides You can also save that extra ram that your panel will use.
    Learning...

You can always uninstall a CP so it shouldn't really be a big deal.

The only time that a control panel is need if your going to have users that don't know ssh or you want to lock them out (shared hosting accounts)
    Or you personally like them...
    Otherwise save the money and have a more secure ssh setup.
    - Buying up websites, side-projects and companies - PM Me! -

Quote Originally Posted by Ultima VPS View Post
    You can always uninstall a CP so it shouldn't really be a big deal.
    Unless the OS is Windows then uninstalling a control panel is pretty much impossible. Especially cPanel. You'd be better off rebuilding the system.
    FiberPeer.Com | | REAL DDoS Protection | Cloud Hosting | VPS | Dedicated Servers | High Bandwidth Hosting | 1Gbps-10Gbps Unmetered
    FiberPeer DDoS Mitigation | ethProxy Upgraded! | 14-Years Experience | Emergency 24/7 Support
    Visit us @ www.fiberpeer.com

Quote Originally Posted by net View Post
    If you have only 1 to 5 domains to host, then no need.

If you are selling hosting, then I recommend a control panel for easy task.
    The number of domains matters not; the decision use a control panel should be based on the skill level of the server admin.

solutions like mod_vhost_alias for apache and simple-vhost for lighttpd make it very easy to add more domains to a server without manually setting up each one - not that manually setting up each one isn't easy enough.

Of course, I personally hate control panels (unless I wrote it myself .
    RAM Host -- Premium & Budget Linux Hosting From The USA & EU
    █ Featuring Powerful cPanel CloudLinux Shared Hosting
    █ & Cheap Premium Virtual Dedicated Servers
    Follow us on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by jamjam View Post
    Hi,

Thanks
    I have VPSes with ServInt with and without control panels. For hosts where I think I may need to let a less-experienced person admin them, or where I'll host lots of domains and standard Web packages, I go with the CP. For my own infrastructure and simple hosting, I use a VPS without it- don't see the point of the overhead if it isn't necessary, or where I'll be running something the CP doesn't usually do well- like I prefer Postfix over Exim for my mail servers and NSD over BIND for authoritative DNS- so no CP on the servers that run those services.

Paul

I don't use control panels either. The only task I don't really like doing is hosting email, which as of now none of my clients have requested. The other tasks like apache, mysql, dns, etc, I just do myself. It make take a little more time. However, I don't have many clients at the moment, so I'm sure if I were to grow I'd probably want to put a control panel in place, depending on how complex the requirements were of the client.