UK Broadband Services...

Can anybody recommend any pretty good internet broadband services within the United Kingdom?

I'm currently with Freeserver, but seriously need to upgrade.. I download alot, and my brothers an online-game-aholic We're connected to the net at 45kbps, and it really really sucks.

I'm thinking of upgrading for Christmas and want to look into some places, so if you've had any good epxirances with broadband services in the UK let me know! I want details on connection speed, their support, and their monthly price! (And off course their website address.)

-Darren
    Thanks in Advance

telewest 1mbps, if they are in your area get them.

Nah I live in Northern Ireland which is outside their area.

I live 1/2 mile out the area

I just moved upto Aberdeen so no broadband at all Can you get ADSL in your area? I think it's 512kbps which isn't that bad at all.
    Ionplex.com - high quality web solutions

Does anybody have Freeserve or BT boardband? Any expirances

Originally posted by SplashHost.com
    telewest 1mbps, if they are in your area get them.
    Yeah, Telewest's 1Mbit service is great
    Originally posted by SplashHost.com
    I live 1/2 mile out the area
    You could always go and get a couple of wireless cards and connect into my connection or get a few miles of CAT5
    Originally posted by Axel Teflon
    Does anybody have Freeserve or BT boardband? Any expirances
    Whether you get BT or Freeserve, BT will still need to do the ADSL conversion on your local exchange. You can find out if that has been done by going to the BTOpenworld website. However from my experience of using BTInternet (now Openworld) I wouldn't recommend them. I haven't heard their broadband service is much of an improvement. I got cut off their BTOpenworld Anytime package because "I used the internet to much" and was "monopolising resources for other users"

You may also want to looking into Satellite Broadband, however the installation cost and latency is quite high - although that was when I looked last year. It may well have improved price wise since then. I believe our friends at BT offer a satellite service.

You can find more Broadband information at: http://www.broadband4britain.co.uk/
    Last edited by Rochen; 11-09-2002 at 12:46 PM.
    Chris Adams - CEO - Rochen Ltd. - chris (at) rochen (dot) com

Now offering both US & UK premium business hosting, reseller hosting and managed virtualized services.
    rochen.com | rochen.co.uk | blog.rochen.com | forums.rochen.com | Twitter: @rochenhost

I have used BT Broadband for about 2 years now - for the 1st year it was diabolical and I was always complaining. Have to say that for the last 9-12 months the network seems to have stabilised and problems are now very few and far between.

Hi Axel,

I also live in Northern Ireland.

I use www.freedom2surf.net for my ADSL connection @ 512k.

They activated me in 3 days and have been extrememly stable and fast since I signed up.

I definetly recommend them! and they are only 22.50 per month!
    http://www.STX-Hosting.com
    .:: Professional Web-Hosting ::.
    .:: Top Dedicated Support !!! ::.
    .:: [email protected] ::.

I got cut off their BTOpenworld Anytime package because "I used the internet to much" and was "monopolising resources for other users"
    WOW! Funny you should say that because thats the excat reason I got chucked from BT. I was usoing their free unlimited off peak service. They banned/blcoked me after they said I was blocking the server for staying on the internet for 16 hours.

And they advertise UNLIMITED Off Peak time on their commerical.

However, when I phoned them up and asked them if I could connect on Broadband turning a blank eye to my problem, they babbled on about how past expirances wouldn't matter. (However, if I went back to BT, they could only get me get the broadband service, not the anytime or a lower package.) BT is useless but I was told their broadband is good.

Anyway, thanks STX-Hosting for the link, I'll look into it.

I want broadband but BT wont enable the local exchange

I heard freeserve ADSL is pretty good, if you go with BT, make sure you take their 'do it yourself' or something alike package, or you'll be waiting quite a bit of time for someone to come around to set you up, etc.. where as the 'do it yourself' package you do it yourself and all bt have to do is activate your account, and even bt can do that within 3 days or so.

Actually, freeserve's lead time is 10 days.
    http://www.STX-Hosting.com
    .:: Professional Web-Hosting ::.
    .:: Top Dedicated Support !!! ::.
    .:: [email protected] ::.

I would also highly recommend Nildram. I believe the link to their broadband service is:

http://www.getadsl.co.uk/

Have used them both at work and at home for over 2 years now.

In that period I havent seen any problems that were not the result of a BT exchange upgrade - which roughly translates as

"were going to poke about in the exchanges trying to make things better, we havent actually got a clue what were doing and you can expect days of downtime as a result".

Anyway, the customer support is top notch, when the support guys say they will call you back, they actually do - always pinch myself when that happens

Thanks guys.

Zen ADSL is good. I know quite a few people using them and there one of the better providers out there. Will even give you up to 8ips if you needed them
    www.zenadsl.co.uk

Splashhost, ever thought of getting Satellite Internet? In scotland there are more providers due to most compaines testing it there, either way i know quite a few satellite providers that are around the same price as normal ADSL

Regards
    Ben

Sat cons are ok for normal surfing and downloading, but as soon as you want to do something that needs low latency (read online gaming) your screwed

The 2s+ ping just can't hack it in online games

Very true, but better than nothing

Regards
    Ben

and, Satelite broadband has a tednency (is that how you spell it) to be knocked down in bad weather...