Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Dedicated server under $50/month?

Hey guys.

First of all, I recently found out about this forum and I'm already starting to love it. Second, I'm posting from an iPhone, and the quality of the mobile version of the forum is amazing.

With that out of the way, let's get to the thread subject:

I'm looking for a dedicated server, but I'm on a really tight budget, so I'm looking for something that's under $50 per month.
    A P4 with 512 MB RAM will do. As for disk space, I'm probably looking at something in the 80GB range.

I know it's tough to get a dedi for this price, but I'm hoping you guys can help me out. Thanks!

www.corenetworks.net - They offer a Dual Core / 512MB RAM / 80GB HD for $30. They also have great support and great features.

if you're willing to go a little bit higher I've seen some atom servers for under $60

That looks amazing! Can anyone back this up?
    (Replying might fail in the mobile version; I'm talking about corenetworks)

Corenetworks.net + 1

If you have interest in Atom, take a look at interserver.com

There is gogax offering some clearance servers. They promise instant setup. Unfortunately they require 30 days notice before you cancel. If that is something you can live with then try their site http://www.gogax.com/servers/clearance.php

Some providers are even offering core2 duos for around 75 but you need to search through a lot of posts in the offers section to find them - http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36

Wow, both Corenetworks and Interserver are damn incredible.
    Thanks guys! If anyone has more suggestions I'm still here. But damn those are some great deals.

Quote Originally Posted by vladh View Post
    Hey guys.

First of all, I recently found out about this forum and I'm already starting to love it. Second, I'm posting from an iPhone, and the quality of the mobile version of the forum is amazing.

With that out of the way, let's get to the thread subject:

I'm looking for a dedicated server, but I'm on a really tight budget, so I'm looking for something that's under $50 per month.
    A P4 with 512 MB RAM will do. As for disk space, I'm probably looking at something in the 80GB range.

I know it's tough to get a dedi for this price, but I'm hoping you guys can help me out. Thanks!
    JoesDatacenter.com
    Great guys, great place to get a dedi.
    This is the best signature in the world....Tribute!
    (It is not the best signature in the world, no. This is just a tribute)

I've had fantastic luck with CoreNetworks, search my other posts. I still have the server there, and I'm still having the same experience.
    I used to run the oldest commercial Mumble host.

that's kind of a tight budget, you should look after a VPS/RPS provider, which may give you more value for your money then a low end dedicated server with old hardware (P4 ? that's a Dinosaur)

interserver.net - the atom server is a great little workhorse
    Nothing here right now.

interserver
    joes datacenter
    tranxactglobal
    corenetworks

i would suggest emailing volumedrive.com to find out what specials they have.

kimsufi.co.uk

You will get more performance / bang for your buck out of a VPS then you will a lower end dedicated server that costs $50 or less. Such "cheaper" dedicated servers usually do not even hold up when in comparison to a VPS, which can be picked up for even cheaper then 50$, much cheaper. VPS nodes on the other hand usually utilize RAID10, many gigs of ECC, and dual quard core xeon platforms. A little Atom server, although a "workhorse", gets stomped on.

Go the route of VPS and I doubt you will be disappointed.

CoreNetworks get a vote from me, along with BURST/Nocster

It is very hard to find a dedicated server for that kind of price. Even if I found a provider with that kind of price, I would be wary of their services and would do lots of reputation checks.

As the previous poster said, getting a VPS would be better and you get more bang for your buck that way. Sure, you might get less storage, but that's a VPS for you. VPSes use much more powerful proccessors than <$50 dedicated servers. This means that there will be faster proccessing times for scripts such as PHP. A VPS is really a lot like a dedicated server. Hosting control panels such as cPanel and DirectAdmin can be installed on a VPS. The VPS can do most tasks that a dedicated server can do, at a lower price tag.

However, the disadvantage of the VPS is that your space is much more restricted by the provider. But that's something you have to live with.
    bikster.com - Quality Hosting. Affordable Prices.
    Providing premium quality shared and reseller cPanel/WHM hosting at low prices!
    Reseller cPanel/WHM hosting solutions that you can afford

Quote Originally Posted by bikster View Post
    It is very hard to find a dedicated server for that kind of price. Even if I found a provider with that kind of price, I would be wary of their services and would do lots of reputation checks.

As the previous poster said, getting a VPS would be better and you get more bang for your buck that way. Sure, you might get less storage, but that's a VPS for you. VPSes use much more powerful proccessors than <$50 dedicated servers. This means that there will be faster proccessing times for scripts such as PHP. A VPS is really a lot like a dedicated server. Hosting control panels such as cPanel and DirectAdmin can be installed on a VPS. The VPS can do most tasks that a dedicated server can do, at a lower price tag.

However, the disadvantage of the VPS is that your space is much more restricted by the provider. But that's something you have to live with.
    Really doesnt matter of the price, if you are warry about a company selling $50 dedi you should also be warry of a company selling a $400 dedi.

Also the poster may also want "full" access to a box unlike a vps where you will not have "full" access.

Quote Originally Posted by DerekRDenholm View Post
    Really doesnt matter of the price, if you are warry about a company selling $50 dedi you should also be warry of a company selling a $400 dedi.

Also the poster may also want "full" access to a box unlike a vps where you will not have "full" access.
    What do you mean it doesn't really matter about the price? A company selling a dedicated server under $50, unless its specifications are low or it is part of a promo, is probably underpricing the server and as such might not be able to meet the full operating costs.

Furthermore, you generally get more bang for your buck with a VPS.

Quote Originally Posted by bikster View Post
    What do you mean it doesn't really matter about the price? A company selling a dedicated server under $50, unless its specifications are low or it is part of a promo, is probably underpricing the server and as such might not be able to meet the full operating costs.
    Which is wrong, I'm sure corenetworks / joes data center as well as a few others named are doing very very well and have a great niche going. So saying dedicated servers under $50 you should be warry of is a gerneal statement and makes your point moot.

I can tell you that Joe's is great, and is one of the most stable datacenters I host out of.
    He indeed has a niche, and is filling it very well.
    This is the best signature in the world....Tribute!
    (It is not the best signature in the world, no. This is just a tribute)

Quote Originally Posted by DerekRDenholm View Post
    Which is wrong, I'm sure corenetworks / joes data center as well as a few others named are doing very very well and have a great niche going. So saying dedicated servers under $50 you should be warry of is a gerneal statement and makes your point moot.
    Yes, what I said is a general statement. Like everything, there are exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by vladh View Post
    That looks amazing! Can anyone back this up?
    (Replying might fail in the mobile version; I'm talking about corenetworks)
    i can back Corenetworks. Been with them since Feb 2007 on the budget server. Got it when it was $24 and still paying the same. If you want cpanel it will cost extra $25. there network is very stable, fast support and they own all servers and datacenter. in that time the only time the server went down was when i crashed it

Comes with free remote Power access and also free ip KVM access

They only do unmanaged so not for beginners (i am still battling a bit)
    Want a eBook Cover Action Scripts CLICK HERE

You guys are great, thanks for the suggestions.

As for VPS vs dedi...

VPS:
    + More processing power
    - Less storage
    - You don't really have full control of the server.

Dedi:
    + Full control of the server
    + More storage
    - Less processing power
    - Questionable?

To be honest an Atom with 1GB RAM or even a Celeron with 512 MB RAM are more than enough for me. I doubt I would ever get that to 100% load.

Also:
    Interserver has a server listed as

VPS Buster Dedicated Server

Atom Dual-Core 1.6Ghz
    1GB Ram 800mhz
    250GB Hard Drive
    Dedicated Server
    2000GB Transfer
    5 IPS
    100MB Port
    Unmanaged Support
    $39 per month!

VPS Dedicated Server? That doesn't sound right
    Last edited by vladh; 07-12-2009 at 05:59 AM.

Hahaha

Hello,
    It is a full dedicated server.

Our name for it has been "vps buster" as in now a VPS is not needed (it busts vps's).
    Best Regards,

John Quaglieri
    InterServer, Inc

Edit:

I think I'm going for the Interserver.
    Here's a comparison:

CoreNetworks:
    - Dual Core Celeron, 1.6GHz
    - 512MB RAM
    - 80 GB HDD
    - 1TB BW
    - 10 Mbps
    - $35/month ($30 / month + $69 setup fee)

InterServer:
    - Dual Core Atom, 1.6GHz
    - 1GB RAM
    - 250 GB HDD
    - 2TB BW
    - 100 Mbps
    - $39/month

So CoreNetworks has got 10Mbps and InterServer has got 100Mbps.
    100Mbps with CoreNetworks is an extra $10/month
    So:

CN:
    -Celeron, 512MB, 80GB, 1TB BW, 100Mbps -- $45/month

IS:
    -Atom, 1GB, 250GB, 2TB BW, 100Mbps -- $40/month

I think you can see which one is better.
    Does anyone have any experience with InterServer?
    Last edited by vladh; 07-12-2009 at 08:40 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast