What to do when this happens?

I have a dedicated server with this company, currently paying aprox. $500 per month.

I decided to move on to another less and smaller server, I asked for a quote on monday July 6th and I accepted the new price of $200 per month for a smaller server with less BW. So basically, I'm going to cancel the current server of $500 and move my sites to a new smaller server that costs $200, because I don't need that much BW and powerful "xeon" server specs anymore.

My current server expires on July 10th (today), so after that I must pay again for this server of $500.

That's why I asked on monday for the new server, to have time to do the migration and don't fall in due date.

Now the sales guy didn't cancel my old invoice and it's friday and he added a new invoice in addition to the old invoice.

I sent tickets to fix that all day, but he didn't answer...

I guess now they are going to wait and don't answer, with the pretext that we are now in weekend..

What can I do if on monday they want me to pay for the old server?? I mean, it expired today friday... But considering the sales guys strategies from the past, I see what is coming... Obviously I'm not going to pay 500 bucks for 2 days of use of an old server, when I asked 5 days prior it expired, to move on to another server...

I'm not naming the company YET.. but it's a big hosting company from Los Angeles (part of another big company of LA with a dif. name), and I have seen many of it's employers/owners/whatever posting in this forum...

So, If you read this, you know who I am...

Can't believe they are so cheap man.. We are talking about a small server here.. It should not be a big deal at all...

Even though the service has been acceptable.. the sales/admin, has been always a pain in the ass, always...
    Last edited by BloggerDude; 07-11-2009 at 12:14 AM.

If you have your backups already, and you don't mind turning off your server, you might want to do that in case they might try to say you've been using your server in order to bill you for the next month too.

Ideally you would have wanted everything to be arranged so there are no problems and so that everyone is on the same page.
    478east
    High Bandwidth Servers
    Custom Hosting Solutions

Looks like you can't say much positive about them, why even stay with them?
    If you have taken another server with them and also cancelled that other one a few days before the due date, I'm sure they could work something out.

Whether or not they want to do it is up to them to decide. I hope you can arrange something with them. Good luck.
    www.InstantDedicated.com - Online in no time
    Dedicated Servers in [EU] Netherlands with DAILY support, also on weekends
    DDOS Protected network - 100% Money Back if it doesn't work for you
    Streaming / IPTV allowed | Up to 10 Gbit ports | 100% Network Uptime

I dont think they would want to lose a customer, but to be safe make a backup.

Quote Originally Posted by ServerBoost View Post
    Looks like you can't say much positive about them, why even stay with them?
    If you have taken another server with them and also cancelled that other one a few days before the due date, I'm sure they could work something out.

Whether or not they want to do it is up to them to decide. I hope you can arrange something with them. Good luck.
    Agreed. If they do refuse and try to charge you the $500 I would drop them and shout your experience from the mountaintops making sure it costs them ten to a hundred times that $500. If they do it don't be afraid to name names. That is how these companies learn,

I wouldn't host with people who act like unethical used car salesmen either.

Five days is theoretically enough but you still cut t a little close. I would allow at least ten days just to be sure next time.

Some companies do have a 30 day notice period on dedicated servers.

Better make sure of this before naming and shaming them. If they have such a policy, it should be in their terms and conditions and definitely something you should check before you sign up for any servers.

On the other hand, if they do have this policy, it would have been simple decency to let you know before setting up a new server. That way you could give your notice and only have the new server end of your next cycle.
    The most effective way to host your site