Question Mcafee secured? worth it for a hosting site?

Ok, i have been talking to one of their sales reps for like 6 months now, haha, really dragging it out and i have also looked at alternatives for this. It will cost me less than the $959, not being too specific, i worked out a deal but its not much better, for the Mcafee secure tested daily thing. I think it might actually increase my convertion rate as it is currently only 1/150 unique views. Money is not a problem and i just want a few peoples opinions before i get it. And if it backfires i have a money back guarantee for 30 days....

Thanks for any help
    MarkusTenghamn.com - Web, Tech, Startups and More!
    Anveto.com - Design, Development, SEO, Analytics and more!

Meh, those sales people could sell ice to an eskimo!

I'd spend the $959 on advertising... you'll get MUCH better bang for your buck.

Give it a try though. Just make sure the 30 day guarantee is legit.

I agree, that kind of money would buy a good deal of advertising. If the 30 day deal is true, I would use it for a week or so and see what it does.

The secure seal isn't worth it. Customers will chose your hosting for other reasons regardless of a little free advertising for McAdfee

I agree that it's a complete waste of money. I don't think it should be a priority and therefore isn't worth spending amlost $1000 on. As others have said advertising would be a better use of the money.

I will try it for 30 days I will give my feedback here and let you guys know if it was worth it and if i will stick with it or if i will decide to put my money somewhere else. Thanks for your opinions though

Well in my opinion Mcafee sucks, we tried it in a lot of place and it slowed down the systems.
    IPStrada When uptime counts.
    Warren Buffet: Honesty is very expensive gift do not expect it from cheap people.

You can easily get a secure seal to show your customers for a much lesser price anyway.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by igxhost View Post
    You can easily get a secure seal to show your customers for a much lesser price anyway.

yea, so far there is no noticable difference

what would you guys suggest as another option for something like this?

Sorry to bump a 3 month old thread but seemed silly to make a new one.

How did this end up working out for you ? As we have been thinking of getting it as I see a good amount of other providers using it so why would they buy it if it was a complete waste ?

Your site looks like it is definately ready for something like this, but it didn't help much to be honest. If it $600 to $1000 per year is a lot of money for you, then it is not worth it. I would recommend going with something cheaper than mcafee though if you want to save some money, i don't think you will see much of a difference between the good ones that are out there.

Fair enough, price isn't really a concern but also don't want to blow money for something that is silly Can you only get it directly from mcafee ? if so how much were you able to push them down ?

Like i said if you want to spare a few hundred i would go with something other than mcafee, I forgot my exact price, but i believe it was in the mid $800's with a 30 day money back guarantee

I had one of their reps pester me for months, got them to about 350-400 a year and also a reseller/affiliate with a decent kickback (think it was bout 20%), was about to go with it but then needed the money for something else, told them that I couldnt afford it and they really started to pester me, so i threatened them with a restraining order to stop them calling me, which i had no intention at the time of following through with, but it worked.

Their sales guys are annoying, and plus they didnt seem to understand that being based in the UK our timezones were different, so was getting sales calls at like 9pm on a friday night, not amused at all.
    If you need help about anything to do with WHT, check out the Helpdesk

That's why you provide a cell # or work # and not a home #.

Anyhow, my sales guy seemed like a good guy. May go ahead with it if I can get them down to around 600USD for the year.

yea, that would be reasonable, i started negotiating at $1200, i dont know if we have the same package though? not that it matters. I forgot if they wanted to charge extra for the subdomain or not, what are they offering you now?

Its a great tool and i can guarantee they will find any vulnerabilities on your site, They put vulnerabilities in levels from 1 through 5. level 1 and level 2 are low security risks, but are worth taking a look at, i have had maybe 20 of the level 1 and 2 on my site and one level 3 that was quickly fixed. I try to fix all vulnerabilities and they give you details on how to fix it, but some of the level 1 and level 2 vulnerabilities have to be there if you want to send emails or run certain scripts.

You will also be listed on their site, not a great thing. Ask them to list you on their other directory under web hosting or web services, i believe there are two directories and one is a little more exclusive than the other.

It's like $900/yr for low hit/low traffic sites. higher hit/traffic sites are $1800/yr. They spent a month trying to sell it to me, I finally told them to go fly a kite.

Quote Originally Posted by hugemarkus View Post
    yea, that would be reasonable, i started negotiating at $1200, i dont know if we have the same package though? not that it matters. I forgot if they wanted to charge extra for the subdomain or not, what are they offering you now?

Its a great tool and i can guarantee they will find any vulnerabilities on your site, They put vulnerabilities in levels from 1 through 5. level 1 and level 2 are low security risks, but are worth taking a look at, i have had maybe 20 of the level 1 and 2 on my site and one level 3 that was quickly fixed. I try to fix all vulnerabilities and they give you details on how to fix it, but some of the level 1 and level 2 vulnerabilities have to be there if you want to send emails or run certain scripts.

You will also be listed on their site, not a great thing. Ask them to list you on their other directory under web hosting or web services, i believe there are two directories and one is a little more exclusive than the other.
    Yeah, other perks such as lower bounce rates / higher conversion rates etc and I mean they say they did reports and companies saw an increase from like 5% to 25% in conversion rates although who knows.

I mean if you are a company that is making money $50/ month shouldn't really be a concern.

The sales guy offered it to me for like ~$900 with free setup fee compared to the regular $100 setup fee and $1300 I will see if he can work with me on the pricing.