* I have two hosts where should I put what

I've setup personal sites in the past but now I want to setup a community with multiple wordpress installations, a forum, and elgg.

The issue is I have two hosts dreamhost and godaddy (don't ask why it is a long weird story). I started creating the wordpress sites on godaddy but now I wonder if they might be better on dreamhost.

I checked with gdy support and they said they charge $150 for retrieving data and that I can only host one site (multiple subdomains and domain names are ok).

The only time I had a problem with dreamhost is when my personal site went down. There was an option to click a button to recover it from what must have been an automatic backup. It took three days but they did recover everything.

I know I can host multiple sites on dreamhost but I will need to install elgg manually. I also have a domain name for my elgg community so should I host it as it's own domain, a subdomain, or a subfolder of the original wordpress blog?

I'm also unsure about how much traffic I will get. There is a similar but smaller site for my industry that I think gets around 500 hits a day.

When you say they charge for "Retrieving Data" what does that mean? As in restoring a backup?

Quote Originally Posted by NXH-Mark View Post
    When you say they charge for "Retrieving Data" what does that mean? As in restoring a backup?
    Here is the information they sent me

1. If you have accidentally deleted files from your hosting account, then we can restore files via the following process:

In order to successfully restore your hosting account we will need the following information. Note: We can only restore hosting accounts within 30 days of cancellation.

It is very important that you purchase and set up a new service, so that your content has somewhere to be restored to.

1. We need to know the date / time we should restore the information from.
    2. What to restore: The entire site, a specific directory, a database, a file, etc.
    3. Where to restore the information to.
    4. Please clearly state that you accept the Restore fee of $150.00 and provide us with the last 4 digits of the payment method on file that you wish for us to use for this charge.
    5. Tell us if we have permission to OVERWRITE any existing data with recovered data? (If not, please tell us where to restore the information to.)
    6. If you are going to need a database restored please specify the name of the previous database and the name of the new database where we will restore content to. Please provide permission to overwrite the content of that database.

Quote Originally Posted by MelRidger View Post
    Here is the information they sent me
    Yeah that would be for restoring a backup, you can keep your own backups however. I'm assuming you're using cPanel, you can use the backup wizard to download your website to your local system.

Panel

They have their own panel. I'm looking for a backup option but haven't found it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by MelRidger View Post
    They have their own panel. I'm looking for a backup option but haven't found it yet.
    Well it's up to you which option you go for, I personally would go for someone who doesn't charge me $150 just for getting some files back.

I personally feel, normally hosting providers will charge you a fee to backup your data. If you can perform this backup manually from your end, it will be good. You normally can back up using your control panel or manually download through FTP.

If you have accidentally deleted your files at your hosting space like ur provider said, then need their assistance to retrieve the backup.

By the way, what control panel that you are using right now?

Wow, $150 to restore a backup. It might take them 10 minutes.

That's some mark up there!

Damn, $150 ? Gosh ,my hosting prov. restoring backups for free. Go to dreamhost I say. Also 500 a day is not such a big number, any shared hosting plan for about $10-15 will fit your needs.

Good luck!

Yup i totally agree there, unless everything including your backup was wiped and there using special software and a special setup to retrive old servrer data then i cant see why charging so much, most providers offer knowledge base on how to keep and store and restor backups, id deffinatly check into that, also yes a shared hosting plan would deffinatly suit your needs prices can vary but id also say a hosting plan anywhere from 5-15 $ would deffinatly be able to withstand your needs good luck.
    http://www.caperhosting.net - web/shells/ircd/shoutcast hosting!
    Live Chat sales/support on website
    WHMCS billing system and client login
    CaperHosting.net We care about everyone!

You can zip (archive) any files/folders you want via the File Manager feature. You can then download them to your own PC.

You can go to phpmyadmin and create mysql database backups.

The only time I had a problem with dreamhost is when my personal site went down. There was an option to click a button to recover it from what must have been an automatic backup. It took three days but they did recover everything.
    Why was the site down? In most cases that is due to server related issues, not missing files etc. so a "restore"/"recover" is usually not needed.