Moving blog / resetting host config

Please bear with me I can't really do a short version:

BACKGROUND

For many years the website I co-developed and maintain has been running on what was originally a friend's web server. His business took off and the web server has been running in the backroom ever since, but with no 'support'.

I've since decided to do things properly and find a paid-for-host to run the new website on. I'm building a new website using wordpress, which was initially developed using some space on another server (for an unrelated site).

I need to move this half developed wordpress blog across to my new purpose hosting account.
    (maybe it's worth noting I'm relatively new to 'blogs' / wordpress, webhosts etc, but well experienced in general computer techy things and config files, but still novice with Apache)

Following this guide...

www . bloganything . net/775/how-to-move-your-wordpress-blog-to-a-new-web-hosting

...I backed up my database and content, installed wordpress on my new server, and FTP'd the files.

PROBLEM

I ran into problems at step 5 I couldn't get my database to connect. Having spent an evening messing about with this to no avail, I've decided to start from scratch.

Thing is, the domain constantly looks for a database to connect to, rather than just displaying an index page. My plan was to display a temporary 'website closed' index.html page in the root, whist I configure WP in the background.

QUERY

So given that the domain won't display the index page without first looking for a database (and displaying an 'Error connecting to Database' message), how can I reset my account (and .htaccess?) back to default so it doesn't look for databases upon landing on the domain root. I've tried renaming my .htaccess, but this makes no difference.

For the moment I've re-directed my domain somewhere else, which holds a temporary index page.

"So given that the domain won't display the index page without first looking for a database (and displaying an 'Error connecting to Database' message), how can I reset my account (and .htaccess?) back to default so it doesn't look for databases upon landing on the domain root. I've tried renaming my .htaccess, but this makes no difference."
    Renaming your .htaccess would make it as if there is no .htaccess file which is what you want. However it seems it's probably more of a configuration issue. Unless your username is exactly the same you're unlikely to be able to just upload and 'go'.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply -

OLD ISSUE RESOLVED:

I've just removed the redirect on the domain, to find that i no longer get the 'database error' message, and my temp index page displays!

The first step I tried previous to today, was moving the wordpress files into a different directory. It didn't seem to have an effect. I then chose to delete the wordpress files from the server, which at the time had no effect.

I wonder if it was just a case of the DNS updating over time...

NEW ISSUE TO FIX:

Anyway now that my webspace seems to be 'back to normal' I shall attempt another transfer of the blog.

As you may have read, the main problem is connecting to the database.

I have my suspicions that the problem lies with the naming conventions, and the fact that the prefix is different:

Previous (working) installation

dbname: host1_xxxxx
    user: host1_xxxx
    pass: password

New (non working) installation

dbname: host2_xxxxx
    user: host2_xxxx
    pass: password

wp-config.php

I'm using the new installation login, but it can't connect. Will the db be tied to the original prefix (host1_)? If so, I can't create the same prefix on the new host, as mysql adds a default prefix of 'host2_'...

(I might try this locally using xampp, see if it works...)

You're seriously over-complicating this... Won't your host help you move over?
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/