No. of Webservers in the WORLD

Well I was searching for a survey done on the Webhosting industry and I couldnt find any article on the Number of SERVERS (NOT just webhosts) in the world.
    My inner sense says anywhere between 200000 - 500000 servers worldwide.
    I could be completely wrong.

Do you guys know or have links to articles on such kind of surveys

Regards,
    Alons
    Softaculous - Auto Installer for cPanel, Direct Admin, InterWorx, Plesk, H-Sphere
    The only Auto Installer that installs 260+ scripts. Install in just ONE STEP!
    Virtualizor - VPS Control Panel supporting OpenVZ, Xen, KVM and has 60+ OS Templates
    Webuzo - Softaculous for the Cloud i.e. Softaculous Standalone

Are you talking about servers just used by hosting companies or all the servers total?

Only hosting companies!
    Softaculous - Auto Installer for cPanel, Direct Admin, InterWorx, Plesk, H-Sphere
    Virtualizor - VPS Control Panel supporting OpenVZ, Xen, KVM and has 60+ OS Templates

Considering the number of datacenters and how large some of them are, I would think that it would be closer to 500,000 servers.

Someone I just talked to says 10,00,000 (One Million)
    But thats his estimate.
    Is there no survey on this ?

http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/a...t-web-servers/ is the best
    Thanks

But freakos there are so many servers out there!

Definitely in the tens of millions. The number of reported servers is likely only a small fraction of what is out there. As a host myself, I do not feel the need to report how many servers we use, and I would figure the majority of companies do not either.
    Cpanel/WHM PHP Perl Ruby Full Time Support
    LCWSoft - Canada web hosting (based in Newfoundland) since 2007
    Servers based in the US and Canada (Uptime Report)

Quote Originally Posted by larwilliams View Post
    Definitely in the tens of millions. The number of reported servers is likely only a small fraction of what is out there. As a host myself, I do not feel the need to report how many servers we use, and I would figure the majority of companies do not either.
    True, but you have to consider all of the huge companies that like to boast about it

Its really a bib big industry running into Billions and mostly concentrated in the US

Quote Originally Posted by alons View Post
    Its really a bib big industry running into Billions and mostly concentrated in the US
    I think "billions" is exaggerating, given that there's only around 2.1 billion IP addresses in the IPv4 system.

Now factor in how many are unused (it's what, 10% ARIN says?), how many are used for end-users, how many for routers, etc.

Then factor in single servers having at least 5 IPs on average.
    I used to run the oldest commercial Mumble host.

I meant billions of $$$$$
    And not billions of servers!

Anyways its all set to increase as other countries develop and would require hosting

Quote Originally Posted by alons View Post
    I meant billions of $$$$$
    And not billions of servers!

Anyways its all set to increase as other countries develop and would require hosting
    Other countries don't have to "develop" for there to be more servers located in them. All that has to happen is that a few datacenters have to decide to branch out their technology and centers to those countries.

Blessen Cherian
    Follow me on twitter.com/blessenonly
    Over a decade plus in the Hosting Industry

Quote Originally Posted by blessen View Post
    Very informational. How did you find that? I searched Google and never saw that link as a result...

Top 5 posters here have really bad english. Just for there information. I would not be scared to say atleast 10,000,000 million servers I mean that is really hard to answer, I suppose one way of finding out would be to contact all the WEBHOST's in the world and ask them, However I could be wrong with the VPS market now big people and hosts for the cheaper solution.
    Automated, Secure & Low Cost cPanel Backups (on the cloud)
    For Users & Web Hosting Providers - User Backups

I recently came across a survey, which says number of domains registered per day is close to 75000. Calculate the number of servers required to host these domains.
    Premium Hosting with Disaster Recovery, Enterprise mail and Video hosting
    Hexahost
    http://hexahost.com
    Hosting Simplified

This netcraft survey will help you.

http://news.netcraft.com/archives/20...er_survey.html
    Premium Hosting with Disaster Recovery, Enterprise mail and Video hosting
    Hexahost
    http://hexahost.com
    Hosting Simplified

Thank you very informative, But i just think there are many more those aren't accounted for.

Binoy

I can't believe how many hosts and servers there are out there. There's so much competition, no wonder some find it difficult to decide which host to go with.

Quote Originally Posted by Syfonic View Post
    Very informational. How did you find that? I searched Google and never saw that link as a result...
    Thanks. I am a person who keeps a watch on most happenings in the Hosting industry. Hence I was aware of these websites like netcraft etc.

Apart from all that, I earn my living from this industry and hence I should be knowing all this, right?
    Blessen Cherian
    Follow me on twitter.com/blessenonly
    Over a decade plus in the Hosting Industry