Need some advice for dedicated server

Hey, all,

I am needing some advice on what to get for my first dedicated server. As it stands now, I'm on a shared plan that is finally taking it's toll on me with a server that is way too busy for it's own good (it's on webhostingpad). The tech support there is great, but the VPS solution and the business of the shared server no longer suit my needs.

So here's the deal...

For $69/month, I can get:

- 320GB HD Space (SATA2)
    - 3,000GB Bandwidth
    - 2.4GHz Celeron E processor
    - 1GB RAM

With the above server, I can get the following bandwidth plans:

3,000GB on 10Mbps port - $0/month
    3,000GB on 100Mbps port - $10/month
    UNMETERED on 10Mbps port - $0/month <-- yes, free.

Now, here are my primary questions:

I currently run about 19-35GB/month in transferred files.

Which bandwidth plan should I go with?

If I can get a free upgrade on the CPU, HD, or RAM, which one is most important to upgrade of the three given the above specs?

A question that doesn't necessarily pertain to the above server:

Is IDE a huge disadvantage compared to SATA2 when it comes to a server, or would a 160GB SATA be just as good as 2 x 80GB IDE's?

Thanks for the help, guys!

Attached is an image of my Bits/sec utilized on my current shared host.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bw-skywest1-2009.png  

Quote Originally Posted by CameronB View Post
    3,000GB on 10Mbps port - $0/month
    3,000GB on 100Mbps port - $10/month
    UNMETERED on 10Mbps port - $0/month <-- yes, free.
    This doesn't look a tad fishy to you?
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

Hi, Mike,

It's part of a promotion. The normal unmetered cost without the promotion code is $80/month. There are several other plans after that from 20Mbps-100Mbps unmetered, but they range from $299-1,649/month.

Just the same as above, with the promotion comes metered at 3,000GB instead of 1,500GB/month should you not choose unmetered.
    Last edited by CameronB; 07-10-2009 at 01:53 AM.

IDE would be a huge disadvantage, and for the amount of transfer you are doing monthly I seriously doubt you have outlived virtual private servers, perhaps the cheap ones.
    478east
    High Bandwidth Servers
    Custom Hosting Solutions

I would grab a virtual private server(vps) from either jaguarpc or wiredtree, they are both great companies and they are fully managed that way they do (almost) everything for you.

Quote Originally Posted by cristibighea View Post
    IDE would be a huge disadvantage, and for the amount of transfer you are doing monthly I seriously doubt you have outlived virtual private servers, perhaps the cheap ones.
    Crist,

Precisely the problem. A cheap provider on a 3mbps port over a shared network with bigger file transfers showed dismal performance for what I needed to offer to my customers. When even two people tried to download a file the performance was terrible. In fact, so much so that I dumped the VPS use and kept with the shared hosting for file transfers. I'm no longer interested in a VPS solution at all, so I'd like to focus now on the dedicated server solution.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronB View Post
    Crist,

Precisely the problem. A cheap provider on a 3mbps port over a shared network with bigger file transfers showed dismal performance for what I needed to offer to my customers. When even two people tried to download a file the performance was terrible. In fact, so much so that I dumped the VPS use and kept with the shared hosting for file transfers. I'm no longer interested in a VPS solution at all, so I'd like to focus now on the dedicated server solution.
    If you go with a reputable provider, like the ones I posted above, I doubt you would have those problems.

I agree with Jacob, you should look for a premium VPS provider instead of getting a cheaper server with a Celeron processor.
    478east
    High Bandwidth Servers
    Custom Hosting Solutions

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Wall View Post
    I would grab a virtual private server(vps) from either jaguarpc or wiredtree, they are both great companies and they are fully managed that way they do (almost) everything for you.
    Jacob,

Thanks for the suggestions. As just stated in my latest reply (I know you didn't see it since you replied before me), I'd like to stick to a dedicated solution. Within the next few months I will be seeing rapid growth on my website due to a major increase in products offered (98% of them are downloadable), and we anticipate a huge traffic increase to come with it. The stats from above are current, though only showing a minimal amount of products offered compared to what we're expanding to in the not-too-distant future.

Quote Originally Posted by cristibighea View Post
    I agree with Jacob, you should look for a premium VPS provider instead of getting a cheaper server with a Celeron processor.
    Crist,

As noted above, I can get a free CPU upgrade should it be desired with an additional promotion. That would put me at a Pentium E dual core, or for an additional $5 after the upgrade (normally $15), I can go for a Core2 Duo 2.0 GHz.

I understand you guys suggesting VPS's, and I would probably do the same, however, with the expected growth (and some huge file sizes) I'd like to focus on the dedicated solution right now.

I am certainly not new to the administrative side to servers, nor to computers in general. I am plenty proficient with SSH, however, I'm not so proficient for server specs when it comes to dedicated and what is needed. It would be MUCH appreciated if opinions could be given regarding the original post and specs specified above.

I really appreciate the help!

network speed | bandwidth | cpu | ram

Which bandwidth plan should I go with?
    => 3,000GB bandwidth on 10Mbps port - $0/month is more than enough for your requirements for transferring files of 19-35GB / Month.

If I can get a free upgrade on the CPU, HD, or RAM, which one is most important to upgrade of the three given the above specs?
    => RAM upgrade would be more beneficial for you as that would increase performance of the server.

Is IDE a huge disadvantage compared to SATA2 when it comes to a server, or would a 160GB SATA be just as good as 2 x 80GB IDE's?
    => If you do not have much data then you should go for 2 x 80GB instead of 160GB SATA. You can set mirroring/RAID on these drives so the data is copied on the secondary drive online everytime it is updated.

If the primary drive gets corrupted, your process won't stop as it would keep on going from the secondary drive.

Nelesh,

Thanks for the reply. Does anyone else have any input by chance?

cristibighea,

I see Celerons in quite a few places, but your comment regarding them makes it seem as if they are somewhat insufficient for a reasonable server setup. Is this a correct assumption?

Thanks for the help, guys!

Celeron Processor

It depends on the database you have on the server. If your database is large I suggest you to go for Dual Quad Core or Core 2 Duo processor's.

This is because if in future you wish to upgrade a high configuration server and transfer data, there might be a chance that the data does not get completely migrated and you have issues to face.

Precaution is better than cure !

for better result and performance choose UNMETERED on 10Mbps then upgrade your RAM ...