Favorite web design books?

So I've been doing the webhosting thing for about 8 years now, but every time a client needs a design, I have to go to a third party. I'm looking to get into the web design world, or at least start reading now in hopes of being "decent" at it in a few years.

I searched wht for "web design book" in quotes, and the latest entry was from 2003. So I'm wondering if you have any favorite "new age" books. I'm looking for books that cover all aspects of design and coding. Not just books on coding, or just books on how to make things look pretty in photoshop, but books on the entire process of going from no site at all, to a finished product all coded. I'm fine with dumping money into multiple books though, if there aren't any that "cover it all".

Looking forward to your opinions! Thanks!
    Imeanwebhosting.com - Shared cpanel hosting, 99.9% uptime.
    10 min average ticket responses, softaculous, rvsitebuilder, and more!
    Reliable, affordable shared hosting. I Mean Web Hosting!

A big favorite of mine is "html, xhtml and css" by Elizabeth Castro, cheap on Amazon. It is really well organized, has a screen shot of how each bit of code looks in a browser, and it doesn't assume that the reader knows anything at all to start with.

When I first started, my first stumper was 'how do you get the html you have on notepad to show up as a web page?' That turned out to be really difficult and it took a few days to find out because everyone assumes you know that. (not that I spent days doing nothing else but looking for that info) After I got her book I checked just out of curiosity and sure enough she covers that.

I also like CSS Mastery by Andy Budd. I have seen it recommended as a geek reference book, but it is all presented simply and clearly. (Good man!)

Edit: The first one has been around for awhile, but haven't seen anything in it that doesn't apply anymore.
    That was a lot of typing. I'm going to run back to the office, slam the door, and pour a double brandy.

Microwave popcorn in a brown paper bag. It's cheaper, healthier, and it tastes better.

I like using the Sitpoint range of books.

I have the sample chapters for most (out of curiosity) and have purchased 3 of them (2 design, 1 programming) and find them very useful.

http://www.sitepoint.com/books/

Excellent suggestions both of you. Thanks!!!
    Imeanwebhosting.com - Shared cpanel hosting, 99.9% uptime.
    10 min average ticket responses, softaculous, rvsitebuilder, and more!
    Reliable, affordable shared hosting. I Mean Web Hosting!