3-month review on Helix-Servers

This is my review of Helix Servers. I was not paid to write this, I felt it be a nice feedback to this excellent provider.

In the three months I was hosted with them, support was excellent and quick. I was helped along most of the way since I was new to Plesk. And unlike other hosts, they didn't charge me when I asked questions! Their reliability and up-time were superb and astounded me. Overall, the performance of the hardware and staff were excellent. Cheap and reliable, you don't find those two words together with most hosts nowadays. << snipped >>

My ratings: (5-scale system)

Reliability: 5/5
    Performance: 4.5/5
    Support: 5/5
    Price: 5/5
    Misc/Other: 5/5

The reason for the performance being 4.5 is due to speed, it could have been a little fast. But not much to complain about.

If you have any questions about my review or comments, post below. I hope this helps some users choose a host that suits them.
    Last edited by Alex; 07-09-2009 at 11:56 PM.

Question?

4.5 due to the speed? Were you buying buying something that you did not get? (ie. Did you order a 100mb link, and only get 10mb?)

Thanks,

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Schmarvin View Post
    My ratings: (5-scale system)

Reliability: 5/5
    Performance: 4.5/5
    Support: 5/5
    Price: 5/5
    Misc/Other: 5/5

The reason for the performance being 4.5 is due to speed, it could have been a little fast. But not much to complain about.
    With regards to performance, your talking about the network, right?

This is what I'm wondering. The plan says 200GB bandwidth. I know there is 300GB to 1mb of bandwidth. Were you getting less than 125kb/sec download and upload on it?

Thanks,

~Michael

To answer everyone's question, yes it was the network speed. I was getting probably 5-10mbps on my downloads in ssh if that. But, I was informed that I was on a 100mbit burstable, so might've just been the mirrors yum was downloading from. But, I doubt it due to me being able to download the same things faster on my other VPS. But, I may have been on a 100mbit connection without knowing it, just didn't feel like it.

So you were getting more than the advertised speed?

I've noticed that 5-10mbps depending on the mirror is pretty decent. Then again depends on where the mirror is. Maybe other VPS has the mirror located in the same facility? Maybe the other VPS provider has their OWN mirror local on their own network?

Could this be a possibility? Did you check with Helix servers due to the "slow speeds"?

~Michael