Thumbs down My experience with Edgehost

I just ended my relationship with Edgehost and I thought I'd let everybody know my experience with them. First, the good:

1. Alec (phpcoder) is great. He (she?) always answered my questions quickly and professionally. He is a credit to the company and is probably one of the main factors in their customer retention.

2. Their service, when it's up, is good. No problems with speed.

3. They offer a lot of features for a low price. They even upgraded my account to a reseller for free.

4. Their support via support tickets is good as long as you are asking simple questions (how do I set this up, can you give me this feature, etc). However, their support on more critical issues is not as good (see below).

5. They did give me a refund when I canceled my account even after the 15 day trial period was over because of the excess downtime.

Now, the bad:

In the 1.5 months my site was down al least 4 or 5 times. Each time it was a down time of hours. At least twice it was all day. The reasons they provided were always reasons beyond their control (router went bad, then the backup router went bad, then some power switch went bad, then the backup power switch went bad, etc). However, they were getting hit with a lot of these "bad luck" problems in a very short period of time.

I also have a unique perspective on one of the down all day outages. Everybody's site was down for more than 10 hours. Multiple support tickets by myself and others were submitted very early in the morning (8:30 AM). After about an hour I got a reply that the servers would be up shortly. We did not get any other responses all day. Around 5:00 PM I notice Kelsey (the top tech guy I think) get on AIM and I ask him when the servers will be up. He didn't even know they were down. After I told him that we were told hours ago they would be up shortly, he says, "Oh yeah. I got an email about that. Give me a minute." 20 minutes later everything is running.

The fact that he got everything working right away was great. The fact that Edgehost relies on this guy checking his email (no phone call, no page, no nothing) and nobody follows up when everything is down all day is a joke. It's like they didn't even care. After I learned about this I started searching for a new host.

So the bottom line is I switched. I'm glad I did because just a few days ago they were down for another 2 hours, but I wasn't cause I got a new host.

I can understand if you have a run of bad luck with hardware, but when every piece of backup hardware you have goes down you got problems. When your tech support people are not notified of critical down time for 10 hours and nobody follows up you got problems.

I would not recommend this host to anybody. I know they have attractive prices, but look around a bit. I found a better deal somewhere else anyway and I have not had a minute of downtime since.

Buyer beware.

Where did you go?

Hi,

When I was with them they had a few problems but not to bad. They had great support, Alec was always on top of any problems I wouldhave and if he wasn't then it was whoever answered the support tickets.

I liked my stay with them...sorry to hear of your troubles.
    Cory Cone
    www.XstreamHost.com

Re: My experience with Edgehost

Originally posted by Mystere
    Around 5:00 PM I notice Kelsey (the top tech guy I think) get on AIM and I ask him when the servers will be up. He didn't even know they were down. After I told him that we were told hours ago they would be up shortly, he says, "Oh yeah. I got an email about that. Give me a minute." 20 minutes later everything is running.
    Whoa... thats incredible

Originally posted by menyak
    Where did you go?
    I went with dialuphost.com So far no down time at all and I was set up without a hitch. They also responded to support tickets right away. (Had a few questions after I signed up)
    Last edited by Chicken; 11-09-2002 at 12:00 PM.

Kelsey is the owner, not the top tech guy.

Originally posted by Derek
    Kelsey is the owner, not the top tech guy.
    As long as he has staff to do the technical support for him, he should be fine.
    Matt De Leon
    GreekComm - http://www.greekcomm.com/
    Online Community for Greek Fraternities and Sororities.

Edgehost can be the best only if they move to some quality servers maybe fastservers.net. looking at the fact that most of the people including me cancelled the stay at edgehost due to technical problems. their customer support has nothing wrong with it. Alac is doing a good job. but obviously most people move to edgehost cuz of their low prices but u get what u pay for.
    { if Need Graphic Design? then Ask Graphics }
    @ http://www.askgraphics.com

Originally posted by AmericanD
    their customer support has nothing wrong with it.
    I don't know if I can agree with that. Their customer support sent an email to the guy in charge about an outage, and then took a coffee break for the next 10 hours. Nobody saw that email until I actually sent an IM to the guy in charge. Nobody noticed or cared that the server was still down after 10 hours and made a phone call, a page, or whatever. If I was running an ISP I would make sure that a technical guy is always reachable, especially when you know that you have had multiple hardware failures in the recent past.

Their customer support is great if you need to know how to set up your email or add a sub domain. But when the "you know what" hit the fan, they flopped.

Originally posted by Mystere

I went with dialuphost.com So far no down time at all and I was set up without a hitch. They also responded to support tickets right away. (Had a few questions after I signed up)
    Sorry to hear of your troubles.
    Last edited by Chicken; 11-09-2002 at 12:00 PM.
    Laurence Flynn @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACK ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability

Originally posted by NexDog

Sorry to see your commision link to your new host too.
    Yeah, that's extremely decieving. Is there a rule against such things?

<<MOD NOTE: Yes and user has been warned>>
    Last edited by Chicken; 11-09-2002 at 12:01 PM.
    YourCheapHost.com - Low cost multi domain hosting solutions. [Legal adult content friendly]
    Reliable web site hosting is our motto. We have Alertra stats to back that up.
    Proven provider of high quality shared and reseller accounts since 2002.

Originally posted by net-trend
    Participants may not use the Forum to direct others to any pages which they have a commercial interest in, these include commission or referral hyperlinks.
    Yes there is...

Greg Moore
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

Mystere -

Something I would've thought is that the owner would not have been the one to correct the servers - instead, the tech folks would've been spending a few hours doing that.

Perhaps you are quite mistaken to think that the owner suddenly rushed out on his hands and knees with spanner in hands. More likely, he phoned someone like Alec, asked what was going on, to be told the job was almost finished.

Mystere, What is your site url I would like to see what type of speed you are getting over there at dial up host..

Originally posted by AmericanD
    Edgehost can be the best only if they move to some quality servers maybe fastservers.net. looking at the fact that most of the people including me cancelled the stay at edgehost due to technical problems.
    The servers are great, the big problem was just the network. Now we have that under control

Originally posted by net-trend

<<MOD NOTE: Yes and user has been warned>>
    Sorry about that. Didn't know that was against the rules. Somebody asked who I went with so I used that link. Won't happen again.

Hate to do this but guess what - down again today. This can't be doing their business any good... why the hell can't they sort it.
    My Reviews of 30+ Hosts
    Can Also Be Seen On My Page at TekSalon

The Meatrix: Welcome to the real world

I have had many pleasant experiences with Alec....never hosted by him, but I have had some nice conversations Would love to do some design work for him (free of course )
    Lead Designer @ SingleHop

JenniH,

Please email me so that we can move you to a new server. We have let all clients know on AMD3 that it is a piece of $h** server and we want to put you on one of our own servers at our new NOC ASAP.

Thanks,
    Alec

From what I understand in my conversation's with Kelsey, he owns the servers and is just coloing them to a DC.

Yes,

We have 1 server (amd3) at () and all of our new servers are at eXchange Colo where we have a guy working.

So we want to move everybody, and strongly suggest they do