EuroVPS, reliable? maybe moving from PowerVPS

I'd like to hear some feedback about them. I have been with PowerVPS for a few years now, still very happy with them, can't really beat their support and reliability, but I feel their prices/resources aren't up to date and we are badly in need of some power, yet still not that much to justify moving to a dedicated. I was checking EuroVPS (checked them also when I chose pvps years ago).

So far.. I emailed them yesterday with a few questions. An auto-generated ticket arrived ~10 hours later. After ~24 hours I still don't have a response. PMing them in these forums hasn't worked either (ok that part's acceptable). So I wonder, how good will they be when I need support seeing this slow response, not a good impression to start with PowerVPS does live up to its awesome support claims, they reply very quick and usually fix my problems very fast, so I am not really sure whether moving is worth it.

What do you think?

http://www.powervps.com/cpanel-vps.php

http://www.eurovps.com/vps_hosting/l...ps_servers.asp
    Dreaming Host - Web Hosting made easy and affordable.

I would avoid EUROVPS. Too much attitude and very poor customer care.

If you're happy with PowerVPS, why not ask them what they can do for you, especially if you've been with them for a few years?

It pains me when people just up and leave a provider that they like when the issue is only a configuration issue. Not a very good reason to leave a provider that you're fond of, especially when you're happy with their support and quality of services.
    Doug Hazard - "retired" Web Hosting Master
    * Full Stack (Web/WP) Dev for The Catholic Diocese of Richmond (160+ sites)
    * Sports Photographer, Media Personality and CFB Historian
    * Tech Admin for several Sports Networks/Sites

It's mostly.. we need more space/ram/cpu, and eurovps gives a lot more for about the same price (im always wary of too muany resources for cheap, but i dont think eurovps is up to that), and powervps highest plan is not good enough, but the next step, their dedicated xms are too expensive for what we currently need. They havent upgraded their plans for a very long time.

Are you looking for a Europe based vps? Also, are you looking for a managed or unmanaged solution?

You should be careful and not to get fished by any offerings that are under the average for the market. Since if you run a VPs you know that this is serious business, very far from shared overselling hosting. What kind of virtualization technology do you use?
    HostColor.com Edge Infrastructure - US Dedicated Servers & Europe Dedicated Hostingsince 2000
    In 50 U.S. Edge Data Centers & 80 POPs worldwide
    24/7 Support ★★ Support Tickets - LiveChat - Phone

I agree with Douglas, once you find a great provider you should try to stick with them if at all possible. Having said that I do know both sides of this b/c I've been with some awesome providers but (even after being with them for more then a year) they were very strict about their pricing and would not work with me (which is absolutely fine, it's their call) so I had to move on in order to meet my needs and my budget.

I would work with PowerVPS (I've had good interactions with them in the past). IMHO their Basic VPS is well priced but the price jumps from there are a bit high (despite generous bandwidth) when you take into account the current offerings.

Dreaminghost I would take a look at Futurehosting or SolarVPS both have offerings in Europe. Good luck!

PowerVPS is very expensive for starter package for middle VPS package I can get own dedicated server in USA.
    Explore our outstanding VPS choices tailored to your budget, and we welcome reasonable offers.
    VPS Price Match Guarantee on: All our range of DDOS protected XEN HVM VPS
    == Contact us for any online solution development or managed / unmanaged vps hosting ==

I would move if I was happy with my current provider, you should try contacting your current provider and try to get a better deal.
    Psychz Networks - Dedicated Servers, Co-location | PhotonVPS - SSD Cloud | YardVPS - Storage VPS
    True Layer 7 DDoS Mitigation | BGP Optimized by Noction Intelligent Routing | Asia-Pacific Low Latency Routes
    6 Continents - 14 Cities - LAX, DAL, CHI, ASH, LON, AMS, JNB, TPE, TKY, BOM, GRU, BCN, SIN, SYD, ICN, MOS

i would recommend EuroVPS, they are just GREAT!!!,
    support is awesome, i contacted them few times at the middle at the night and i had responce in like 15-20 mins, before that i had VPS with keyweb and i had downtime everyday, i am 27 days with Eurovps and uptime 100% very fast network (LEASEWEB), did i already say they are great ? i am just so happy with them that can't put it into words.

I'm with EuroVPS for almost a year.
    I can say that the support is absolutely great. I opened 49 support tickets for problems or things I needed to configure. They responded mostly within a few minutes. If the things were a little bit more delicate they had to look deeper into it. But almost everyting was solved within 24 hours.

It's really rare that they still not responded to you're email. Before I singed up I sent them a dozen of mails and they answered always very fast (within a few hours).

I'm on a managed Plesk server.

Eurovps is very reliable. Been with them for over three years, excellent hosting and they respond very quickly to tickets. I suggest you try to contact them again.
    Koroush Ghazi
    Owner/Author
    TweakGuides.com
    Currently Hosted by: EuroVPS

Thumbs down

Hi, thanks for your comments.

Gotta say I'm extremelly dissapointed with EuroVPS so far, really bad impression. After it took some days to give me a trial (that's ok), it only lasted for 2 days. Cpanel/WHM wasn't accessible so all I could test was the HSP panel.. so couldn't really trial anything. I contacted them about it: more than 24 hours passed without a reply, and few hours later my trial was over and the vps terminated. Then another few hours after that, I got an email, an automated reply assigning me a ticket id etc for the whm problem.

Am I too demanding or am I right to feel so dissapointed?

What kind of support can I expect, when I see such horrible attention towards the possibility of gaining a potential solid customer that's sticked with a provider for years and was looking into paying them for the highest vps plan they have on offer?

I'm curious to know - did you contact PowerVPS and discuss if they could do anything to help retain your custom? As others have already mentioned, it seems unfortunate to leave a provider you're otherwise happy with in any event, but to do so without even granting PowerVPS the opportunity to help you would be a huge disappointment for them.

As providers we all hate to lose a valued customer of course, but there's absolutely nothing worse than losing someone you were powerless to help because you were unaware of their issue. Obviously depending on what that issue is you might say it's fair enough - the provider should have known about it and may be your exact reason to leave - but I don't think that's the case in this example, and there are many others like it.

I have no experience with EuroVPS for obvious reasons, but purely on the basis of your comments I cannot imagine what would compel you to make a purchase from them? Although it's true that sales and support teams may work differently (e.g. sales may be understaffed or something like that), it's fair to say that you ought to expect a decent level of pre-sales service from any company who are serious about having you as a customer.

On a side-note, are you certain that these apparent email delays you're seeing aren't caused by your side? E.g. could your own mail server be choking up meaning that your emails aren't reaching them for a long time (and/or their replies aren't reaching you for a long time)?
    UK, Chicago, & Singapore Fully Managed Plesk VPS
    UK, Arizona & Singapore Jelastic Java, PHP & Ruby PaaS

Comprehensive SLAs, backups, full SSD, rebootless kernel updates.
    Experienced managed hosting provider since 2001. True 24x7 Support & Server Management

Hi, I haven't contacted PowerVPS about it, but was gonna do so in the event I'd decide to leave, see if they can come up with something. I remember some threads in their forums with people suggesting disk space increases like they did for windows plans, but they were always met with "we'll look into it in the future, adding disk space costs xx etc", so I'm not sure anything can be done about it; that was quite a long time ago and there have been no changes in their vps plans. The other higher VPS plan they have isn't a huge upgrade, and it's a lot more expensive. Comparing it with what EuroVPS provides, there's quite a difference. But even then, I will stay with pvps if I can't have the same kind of support.

I know it's sorta unfair towards them after providing an awesome service for years, but I need to look into what best suits my business growth as well.

Regarding the emails, I used gmail. The setup emails came in time, so I don't think there's a reason for their other emails to have such a delay. Even after the delay, when I do get an automated ticket response, it still takes them quite some time.

Today I received an email from them again, saying they'll setup another trial VPS, so we'll see.

I'm not sure what the problem is, I also find it odd they aren't taking it more seriously as they have quite some reputation. (they actually are the only provider I'd look into for switching).

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    If you're happy with PowerVPS, why not ask them what they can do for you, especially if you've been with them for a few years?

It pains me when people just up and leave a provider that they like when the issue is only a configuration issue. Not a very good reason to leave a provider that you're fond of, especially when you're happy with their support and quality of services.
    100% agree. No doubt PowerVPS will price match any upgrades required.

Unhappy

Without doubt, PowerVPS costs much more than other VPS providers. Why? I'm their client for more than 3 years, lately, I ask for 4GB extra disk space, it cost me 10 $/month. Amazing! Now I have to pay $44.5+10 one month for my VPS. It's not efficiency for the payment. So I asked for newer plan, more disk space, huge bandwidth than mine (150GB to 1000GB), ram up to 512mb (384mb now), etc., unfortunately, they said.

"Our systems are completely separate, unfortunately. If you were to upgrade to our newer plans, you'd be purchasing a new VPS, then migrating to the new system. We can certainly assist with the migration as cPanel has a built in migration tool that should help with the transition.

You'd have new IP's, have to reregister any nameservers at the registrar, and be utilizing the resources of our newer plans vice what you're using now."

What can I say for such a inconvenience? So I give up this inconvenient upgrade, and decide looking for another cheaper and reliable VPS provider. Can any VPS user here recommend some other reliable VPS providers to me? Thank you very much.

Sounds like you are still on the old plans before they began using HSPC. I had to migrate too last year, was painful but the new server was much better. Once you are in the HSPC plans you can upgrade to higher plans or dedicated without having to do all that again.

EuroVPS gave me a new trial but it's not working somehow, looking into it today.

I do not understand why I should give a provider a chance to compete with better alternative providers I might find? (except for migration surely) If the current provider is not following up the competition and current market trends, it is definitely not the customers responsibility to "alert" the provider about their old pricing and configurations.

In my opinion it is always the providers responsibility to take care of their customers, to make sure that services provided are what the customer needs and should their be any changes in the customer usage habits or market trends, suggest alternatives as well.

It is far too often that the providers just expect that "once customer - always a customer" and tend to forget that the hosting business is a service business as well. You have to aquire new customers, but you need to take care of the old customers as well!!

This my opinion is about hosting providers in general and NOT about powerVPS nor EuroVPS specifically.

I certainly understand your point and I agree with it to some extent, but I think this depends on the circumstances quite a lot.

If you're perfectly happy with everything your provider does but want a different price and/or more resources then I don't see how your current provider could know this if you don't tell them?

This is a different scenario to if you find a "better" product elsewhere, though it's worth considering that it may be a case of the "grass greener on the other side" as clearly some providers market their products better than others; and anyone knows it's easy to make promises but much harder to keep them

So yes, if you find a genuinely better product then it's absolutely your prerogative as the customer to shift your business to a different provider. In that case it would be courteous to your provider to leave a note to let them know what they did to upset you (an inferior product compared to X in this case), but whether or not you exhibit that level of courtesy to your previous provider will depend on your own choice and I guess the relationship you had with them.

Quote Originally Posted by eComNow View Post
    It is far too often that the providers just expect that "once customer - always a customer" and tend to forget that the hosting business is a service business as well. You have to aquire new customers, but you need to take care of the old customers as well!!
    I couldn't agree more about this point though. In fairness there is a lot more to taking care of existing customers than the product specifications and pricing, but certainly the concept of taking care of your existing customers is very important because they are far more important to you as a company than any new customer you may hope to acquire: they put you where you are today.
    UK, Chicago, & Singapore Fully Managed Plesk VPS
    UK, Arizona & Singapore Jelastic Java, PHP & Ruby PaaS

Comprehensive SLAs, backups, full SSD, rebootless kernel updates.
    Experienced managed hosting provider since 2001. True 24x7 Support & Server Management

Maybe this is a bit side track from the title, but thank you for the provider input Damien.

I believe that providers expect customers to read their blog, be twit with their twitter entries and face with their facebook far too much. There is a plethora of studies and books about customer satisfaction and how to gain it.

Just as an example, by Fred Reichheld: The Ultimate Question, the Howard Business School press.

1) How likely are you to refer us to your friends and colleagues? (0 to 10)
    2) Can we follow up with you regarding your answer to question #1. (yes or no)

This questionnaire 4 times a year does not do any harm and gives a provider great input on customer overall customer satisfaction

VPS trials are a very "unsafe" (for lack of a better word) endeavor these days, due to fraud and spammers/torrents/warez, so it might be in your best interests to simply buy a VPS for one months (just a low-end package, for testing) use an extra domain, and really test it out for 20+ days. Most hosts are reluctant to give a lot of support to somebody that's not even paying them. Years ago, I contacted EuroVPS for a demo, and they gave me a couple days worth. Based off that, I signed up for a month, and tried it some more. At worst, I'd lose maybe $30-40. It worked great, and within another month or two, I was fully moved.

I don't think it's smart to try a service for just a few days, and then commit to moving important sites over right away. Invest $30-40 extra one month for your own safety.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||