Thread: OnLive!

OnLive!

Well I just checked out http://www.onlive.com/

Has anyone else seen this? I just signed up for beta and it looks great.
    You dont need any high end hardware to run games and there arent really any downloads I checked out how it works and so far i found:

* Connect to OnLive with your TV, PC or Mac and start a game
    * Your game runs in a state-of-the-art OnLive game server center
    * OnLive connects you to game servers through the Internet, instantly sending your controller actions upstream and the results back downstream at blinding fast speeds
    * Enjoy ultra high-performance gameplay on your TV or entry-level PC or Mac

Has anyone else signed up or know if beta is even going to start? I just thought Id post this because if this is a success it could bring a whole new gaming world to us.
    Leader of the new anti sig spamming club.

Looks interesting, I've also signed up for the beta

It's going to flop, I don't think enough people have the type of internet service for it to be any good.

Either that or the graphics will be stifled and it'll look like crap.

If you're going to game at home, you've got a desktop and install the games.

Gaming on the run? Either you have an average laptop you install the game and play it at average quality..or you have a good laptop that you can play at good quality...why would I play average/crappy quality games (streamed) when I can play better with the laptop I'd connect with.

Arguably maybe this is nice for schools in a computer lab...

But any serious gamer who wants to play would just buy a laptop..seriously, who doesn't own a laptop these days?

It's a nice concept, but our networks/access isn't near good enough for it - not to mention potential lag between input-processing-output. Get real.

Oh, and what if you don't have internet? IE: On the bus..guess you're SOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Corazu View Post
    It's going to flop, I don't think enough people have the type of internet service for it to be any good.

Gaming on the run? Either you have an average laptop you install the game and play it at average quality..or you have a good laptop that you can play at good quality...why would I play average/crappy quality games (streamed) when I can play better with the laptop I'd connect with.

But any serious gamer who wants to play would just buy a laptop..seriously, who doesn't own a laptop these days?

It's a nice concept, but our networks/access isn't near good enough for it - not to mention potential lag between input-processing-output. Get real.

they did a small beta and they reccomend a 5+mbit connection for quality and they did people with low end 2006 or less computers and the grahpics looked like a game on maxed with almost no stutter. the better the grahpics the better your connection needs to be. I think it was intended for people with low end computers and the people who have small hds. think about never having to redownload a game or losing a cd though? Some people wont like it but for the 20% or more that will use it its amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by darkeden View Post
    they did a small beta and they reccomend a 5+mbit connection for quality and they did people with low end 2006 or less computers and the grahpics looked like a game on maxed with almost no stutter. the better the grahpics the better your connection needs to be. I think it was intended for people with low end computers and the people who have small hds. think about never having to redownload a game or losing a cd though? Some people wont like it but for the 20% or more that will use it its amazing.
    Hard drives are so cheap though..

I could buy a 1TB drive just for games and it'd be cheaper...like 90$..how much will this cost? It'll probably be somewhere in the neighbourhood of 24-30$ a month..3 months and I've saved money.

Seriously I don't think this has a place, cloud computing is starting - but we're not at that level of technology yet.

Maybe it's just my opinion though, I don't see how this could be useful - but, in Canada internet is still expensive and not as accessible, so maybe it's feasible in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Corazu View Post

You're SOL playing PS3 and XBOX360 in any bus I've ridden in as well.....

It seems like an interesting idea, I would signup but it's for US residents only

Quote Originally Posted by frankiee View Post
    It seems like an interesting idea, I would signup but it's for US residents only
    have a dedicated server in america? proxy it?

Quote Originally Posted by AquariusADMIN View Post
    You're SOL playing PS3 and XBOX360 in any bus I've ridden in as well.....
    That's what a Ben Heck mod is for >.<

You somewhat have a point..I guess as an emulator it might be decent, we'll have to see.