Gallery site - 100 or 1000Mbps Uplink - your suggestions?

Hello people of WHT!

I would need your professional advise, please...

I am running an adult picture gallery on a dedicated machine. The site has always between 20 and 100 visitors online and these visitors view images of about 500 KB each.

Even though the server itself should be fast enough to handle his job without any problem, I wonder if it would make sense to switch from my 100 Mbps Uplink to a 1000 Mbps one in terms of speed for the single visitor.

What would you, based on your experience, think? I really have think twice about that decision because my site is non-commercial and I do not earn a single penny with it.

Thank you very much for your opinions in advance & best regards!

Bengu

P.S: The current server is a Core2Quad 2.83Ghz, 8 GB RAM, 2x500 GB, Hardware Raid 1

Whats your highest peak right now in regards to bandwidth?

How much bandwidth have you purchased? Is this a 95'th percentile setup, or a pre set amount..i.e 3,000GB / month etc etc?

In my personal opinion you should stick with 100mbps. The images aren't a very big file size and your port shouldn't get full even at peak hours.

You should only upgrade to 1000mbps once you notice the site to load slower.
    Tailored VPS offers fully customizable VPS Hosting
    Powered by OpenVZ | Servers located in the USA | 99.9% Uptime

At this point something in 1 gbps uplink range may not be worth the extra cost to upgrade to. 100 mbps is pretty hard to max out even for most large sites, so you should be good for a good amount of time. When you notice images loading slower, and the site in general loading slower that may be a good indication that you should upgrade.
    Jeremy Miller - Account Executive
    SingleHop Inc. - Dedicated Servers Exclusive Specials - www.singlehop.com/jeremymiller
    Phone: 1-866-817-2811 ext. 103

When considering a larger uplink for your server, the first thing you need to do is look at your current bandwidth usage. (If you don't have access to any bandwidth utilization graphs then that is the *first* thing you need to look into getting.) If you are not peaking at over 80Mbit/sec with occasional spikes to over 95Mbit/sec (and a steady growth trend in your bandwidth usage) then in most cases a gigabit connection is probably not going to benefit you. The bits don't go faster just because you are on a gigabit uplink, you can just move more of them at a time.

As you are not making any money from you project, stick to the plan you already have.

If your visitors start complaining, you can think.

Thank you all for your appreciated advice - It helped me a lot concerning by decision!

My highest bandwidth peak the last month was around 80 Mbps. Average is around 40 Mbps. So I guess you are right with your opinion to wait until I upgrade!

Again, thank you and best regards
    Bengu

Stick with it until your site actually needs the upgrade..if it can cope ok for the time being then carry on with it !

As others have said youre not making money off it, wait until the end when its absolutely needed.
    ReliableServers.com
    Dedicated Servers | Colocation | Cloud Servers | CDN
    1000 Gbps Network | New Jersey DataCenter
    973-849-0535

Quote Originally Posted by bengu View Post
    Hello people of WHT!

I would need your professional advise, please...

I am running an adult picture gallery on a dedicated machine. The site has always between 20 and 100 visitors online and these visitors view images of about 500 KB each.

Even though the server itself should be fast enough to handle his job without any problem, I wonder if it would make sense to switch from my 100 Mbps Uplink to a 1000 Mbps one in terms of speed for the single visitor.

What would you, based on your experience, think? I really have think twice about that decision because my site is non-commercial and I do not earn a single penny with it.

Thank you very much for your opinions in advance & best regards!

Bengu

P.S: The current server is a Core2Quad 2.83Ghz, 8 GB RAM, 2x500 GB, Hardware Raid 1
    You should be fine on a 100Mbps, unless you really want to spend hte extra money on a 1000Mbps port.

Talking Recommending OVH 200Mbit connections

bengu, i am running lookpic.com and serving over 950k images, having over 600 request/second.

I am using 500Mbit bandwidth but still i need more bandwidth.

Problem is not with your server specs, problem is bandwidth !

image serving servers really need bandwidth.
    Optimize your webserver, i highly recommend you to use lighttpd as webserver and optimize it correctly and get a real 250-500Mbit bandwidth, you will be fine on a cheap server specs but you really need a good bandwidth ( not shared ).

I recommend you to get OVH server, they are giving 200Mbit connection on a gig port, you can handle 350-400 request/second without any issue (You can push 21-22Megabyte/s easily ).

Good Luck
    www.oooServer.com
    Russia - Moscow Based Datacenter : Dedicated Servers / Co-location