Need your opinions and advice

Hi. Me and a friend of mine is starting a tube site soon. We expect it to become pretty popular after some time, as my friend have good contacts in the niche.
    However, i found a few companies, and i dunno which vps/company i should go with. So i need your advice. Remember, its for a tube site.

I would also like to mention that beside the companies and plans below, i considered dmehosting, but i would like to hear your experiences with them (also the others, but i seen 1 bad review of dme).

1st: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=873412 - Goodealhosting
    Theres not much reviews around for this company, but they have good specs. I need alot of bandwidth and space, and at least 512mb ram.

2nd: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=873457
    These have good space and ram, and good price. I have seen few reviews.
    However, bandwidth is a little low, and no moneyback guarantee.

3rd: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=871569
    Package 3, a little more expensive (not much) but it have nice bandwidth and space and ram.

4th: http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=1406327
    From digitalpoint. Webhosts there sometimes disapear fast, but still.
    Its cheaper, but with less space (dunno if its enough), and not very much bandwidth.

When you say "tube" sites I am assuming it is a video sharing/streaming website. One thing you must remember before you make your decision, that for this kind of website I/O bottleneck is there if it is not at least with RAID-10 with at least 4 HDD. The more HDD with RAID-10 its better. So look for RAID-10 space not just RAID-1 . RAID-1 is not good for video streaming.

Video encoding eats up lots of RAM and CPU power . You need to see these two thing as well as you expect the site to grow faster.

There are quite few reputable providers for your requirement , please make a search in the offer section to find more about it.
    Last edited by Odisha-Hosting; 07-08-2009 at 12:29 PM. Reason: addtional suggestion
    Managed Virtuozzo VPS | Reseller Hosting
    http://www.odishahosting.com [ USA Datacenter]
    http://www.odishahosting.in [ INDIA Datacetner]
    [email protected] | 1-732-253-0169 ( sales)

Quote Originally Posted by Odisha-Hosting View Post
    When you say "tube" sites I am assuming it is a video sharing/streaming website. One thing you must remember before you make your decision, that for this kind of website I/O bottleneck is there if it is not at least with RAID-10 with at least 4 HDD. The more HDD with RAID-10 its better. So look for RAID-10 space not just RAID-1 . RAID-1 is not good for video streaming.

Video encoding eats up lots of RAM and CPU power. You need to see these two thing as well as you expect the site to grow faster.
    but is such plan possible within my budget (floating around 20$)??

For a video streaming site, particularly one that aims to become popular, your main problem will be bandwidth. You should choose a provider that supplies good quality bandwidth, lets you use as much bandwidth as possible and for as little as possible.

Unfortunately, for this, you can't just rely on what they tell you on an ad. The amount of bandwidth providers show on an ad, is not the amount of bandwidth they expect you to use, the bandwidth on the ad is basically the most you can use, but they generally expect you to use a lot less. So if you use too much too often you'll become a bad client, and they'll come up with an excuse to get ride of you, something as simple as one of your users uploading some copyrighted content without your approval might get you banned.

So make sure you contact the companies directly, explain what you need and ask them if they can consistently provide the amount of bandwidth you require without problems. You'll probably be quoted a price a little higher then what showed on the ad, but it's better that then losing connectivity when you're already serving users, and it's always nice to give your provider a little heads up.

Good luck blomstervand!
    █ Wafer VPS
    US North Carolina Based
    Self-Managed OpenVZ VPS Hosting
    Check out our offers!

I think you need to reconsider your budget . Imho video streaming website requires good spec vps at least with 512MB or 1GB RAM to begin with and then you can scale as per your need.
    Managed Virtuozzo VPS | Reseller Hosting
    http://www.odishahosting.com [ USA Datacenter]
    http://www.odishahosting.in [ INDIA Datacetner]
    [email protected] | 1-732-253-0169 ( sales)

I wouldn't say you could easily achieve your goal of creating a popular "tube" site, the keyword being "popular", with such a restricted budget.

Still you could try a mixed approach. Instead of hosting all the content yourself, you could have a mix of "tube" sites hosting part of your content, and the rest you could host yourself. This would be a problem because the ads on part of the content would be from other sites, but you'd be able to adapt your expenses to your budget.
    █ Wafer VPS
    US North Carolina Based
    Self-Managed OpenVZ VPS Hosting
    Check out our offers!

Quote Originally Posted by WaferVPS View Post
    For a video streaming site, particularly one that aims to become popular, your main problem will be bandwidth. You should choose a provider that supplies good quality bandwidth, lets you use as much bandwidth as possible and for as little as possible.

Unfortunately, for this, you can't just rely on what they tell you on an ad. The amount of bandwidth providers show on an ad, is not the amount of bandwidth they expect you to use, the bandwidth on the ad is basically the most you can use, but they generally expect you to use a lot less. So if you use too much too often you'll become a bad client, and they'll come up with an excuse to get ride of you, something as simple as one of your users uploading some copyrighted content without your approval might get you banned.

So make sure you contact the companies directly, explain what you need and ask them if they can consistently provide the amount of bandwidth you require without problems. You'll probably be quoted a price a little higher then what showed on the ad, but it's better that then losing connectivity when you're already serving users, and it's always nice to give your provider a little heads up.

Good luck blomstervand!
    Yes, but the reason we start with a vps and not a dedicated, is because it wont get instant popular. We wanna start slow, beta testing our site and stuff. Then when we get popular, we hope we can earn a little through ads, and pocket out ourselves and buy a dedicated, and then get alot of visitors.

But we will use vps untill we begin to have lots of visitors and such, as we dont have much funds to begin with.

You may loose out on business and growth if your vps fails to live up as you grow. Also migrations can take long + downtime so you should plan in advance or at least size up your expected concurrent users . Ideally dedicated servers are better suited for streaming. IF your VPS gets hit remember the drives are also servicing other VPS customers and not just you . In case of a dedicated server they just service you.
    WEBWERKS.IN
    India Based
    Colocation, Dedicated Servers, VPS and Webhosting
    High Speed Network. High Speed Ports. ISO 9001 and 27001 Certified India Datacenter - Need an Affordable India Based Hosting Solution?

ahhh $20/mo is on the low end of budget VPS, let alone of you are doing a video sharing/streaming site. This sort of thing is much more resource intensive then a low volume wordpress blog (for ex).

You are also picking hosts that seem to have very few reviews and normally there is a reason for that (You should find some reviews for Buzz Servers they have been active on these forums for a bit). I can't speak to any on your list since I've never used them or know of anyone that has.

I myself would stick with one of the established quality hosts but for $20/mo what do you have to lose? If you can't afford to spend a little extra to try out a few hosts (at these prices) then you really need to re-think your biz plan/budget.

Just an aside but that is one A M A Z I N G offer from advantagecom.net. $21/mo for 1024MB ram, 100GB Disk and 20MB unmetered bandwidth? Wonder how long that will last.