Exclamation Lxlabs made a "formal" statement about the future of hypervm and kloxo.

From their forum: http://forum.lxlabs.com/index.php?t=...=12609&start=0 Brijesh (Ligesh's cousin) made the formal announcement a couple of hours ago about the future of hypervm/kloxo today. It sounds like they tried to sell/transfer the software but there were no takers. He's laid-out the proposal for taking hypervm and kloxo opensource but the time-lines they are talking; I don't know if there will be any users left by then. I'm not sure if I'm willing to wait.
    Last edited by ldl; 07-07-2009 at 07:54 PM.

Thanks for the update ldl.
    █ Wafer VPS
    US North Carolina Based
    Self-Managed OpenVZ VPS Hosting
    Check out our offers!

Thanks for the update, 2 years is a fairly long time.
    Psychz Networks - Dedicated Servers, Co-location | PhotonVPS - SSD Cloud | YardVPS - Storage VPS
    True Layer 7 DDoS Mitigation | BGP Optimized by Noction Intelligent Routing | Asia-Pacific Low Latency Routes
    6 Continents - 14 Cities - LAX, DAL, CHI, ASH, LON, AMS, JNB, TPE, TKY, BOM, GRU, BCN, SIN, SYD, ICN, MOS

2 years is a long time, but from what I understood it's a worst case scenario, it only limits that: within 1 year it must have a new name and domain and that within 2 years it MUST be completely Open Source. It doesn't limit how quick it can be done, only how slow.

Anyway I wish good luck to the project if it goes forward.

I think they should just open source it and be done with it.

There are so many companies working on internal CPs that could just as well fork a new version based of Kloxo and spare themselves a lot of trouble. I don't think he has the notion of just how many people out here are capable of taking Kloxo and making something of it.

He must think he's protecting Kloxo users, but I think he will end up protecting them less.

You release some source, you expose it to the world, and yes, it will be vulnerable, for a while, until the entire community picks it up and makes it into something stable, and there are plenty of competent people who are able and willing to do just that. But if you hide it, and just show it to a select few, the source will leak out eventually, exposing the clients anyway, but now only a select few are available to solve it's problems.

GPL it, or even better, BSD it!
    █ Wafer VPS
    US North Carolina Based
    Check out our offers!

Quote Originally Posted by WaferVPS View Post
    I think they should just open source it and be done with it.

There are so many companies working on internal CPs that could just as well fork a new version based of Kloxo and spare themselves a lot of trouble. I don't think he has the notion of just how many people out here are capable of taking Kloxo and making something of it.

He must think he's protecting Kloxo users, but I think he will end up protecting them less.

You release some source, you expose it to the world, and yes, it will be vulnerable, for a while, until the entire community picks it up and makes it into something stable, and there are plenty of competent people who are able and willing to do just that. But if you hide it, and just show it to a select few, the source will leak out eventually, exposing the clients anyway, but now only a select few are available to solve it's problems.

GPL it, or even better, BSD it!
    BSD it? Hopefully not. I know, as a coder myself, that I would expect someone using my code to at least give back their bug fixes and improvements. It's only right considering they got my work for free. GPL > BSD.
    Cpanel/WHM • PHP • Perl • Ruby • Full Time Support
    LCWSoft - Canada web hosting (based in Newfoundland) since 2007
    Servers based in the US and Canada (Uptime Report)

Quote Originally Posted by larwilliams View Post
    BSD it? Hopefully not. I know, as a coder myself, that I would expect someone using my code to at least give back their bug fixes and improvements. It's only right considering they got my work for free. GPL > BSD.
    Let's not hijack this thread into a GPL vs BSD battle please.
    The reason I mentioned the BSD is that many lxlabs clients are companies that would be interested in developing their own CP, having the flexibility to create a closed source CP is something I believe most would be interested in.
    █ Wafer VPS
    US North Carolina Based
    Check out our offers!

I bailed long ago on HyperVM and after reading that I'm glad I did. I'd suggest you guys check out vePortal, we've migrated to it and it's solid. It has multiple developers and the updates are happening quite often.

Quote Originally Posted by WaferVPS View Post
    Let's not hijack this thread into a GPL vs BSD battle please.
    The reason I mentioned the BSD is that many lxlabs clients are companies that would be interested in developing their own CP, having the flexibility to create a closed source CP is something I believe most would be interested in.
    And that is EXACTLY what they do not want.

Having one company profit from the work that Ligesh did and gain an unfair advantage is not something I feel he would have wanted. Any license which allows people to enhance it but then not put their enhancements back into the community is counter productive for open source and the intentions of the initial developer and the people left managing this in my opinion.

2 years is nothing. Some of the posters sound like my teenage kids.
    CloudNexus Technology Services
    Managed Services

Quote Originally Posted by Coolraul View Post
    And that is EXACTLY what they do not want.

Having one company profit from the work that Ligesh did and gain an unfair advantage is not something I feel he would have wanted. Any license which allows people to enhance it but then not put their enhancements back into the community is counter productive for open source and the intentions of the initial developer and the people left managing this in my opinion.

2 years is nothing. Some of the posters sound like my teenage kids.
    Being able to use the code in a closed source project, particularly BSD licensed code, and being able to gain unfair advantage is not at all related, after all the code would be available to everyone, and only those who mold it into something useful again would have any advantage, and a deserved one at that.

Let's also remember that the first thing that Brijesh wants to achieve is to help Ligesh's clients.
    █ Wafer VPS
    US North Carolina Based
    Check out our offers!

Open source is the best way to drive productivity. Nothing beats community involvement.

The more people that use it, the more that will contribute.

Sure there are those that use it and don't put back in, but there are always more contributing to the development.

Besides, if anything, those people that simply use it and don't code anything etc contribute when they pick up errors and ask for fixes - indirectly debugging the software for others to work on so it all works out in the end.
    HostGuard.net - VPS Control Panel
    Automating and monitoring your hosting business.

Under GPL people would still be able to have their own private forks, they just can't redistribute/sell the code.
    Matt Ayres - togglebox.com
    Linux and Windows Cloud Virtual Datacenters powered by Onapp / Xen
    Instant Setup, Instant Scalability, Full Lifecycle Hosting Solutions

www.togglebox.com

Quote Originally Posted by PhotonVPS-Jim View Post
    Thanks for the update, 2 years is a fairly long time.
    Yes 2 years is very long. I am thinking that most of the hosts that used to use HyperVM have switched to a different more stable and secure control panel.

By 2 years there will be no one using HyperVM.
    Tailored VPS offers fully customizable VPS Hosting