Blade Server Colo

heyas..

I am looking for a colo provider that offers colo space for a dell blade server. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

It's a dell 1855.
    7u
    208v 10-15Amp.

Less than 10 mbps at peak currently.

While I'd prefer to deal with a data center in Denver, I am not opposed to shipping it to a reputable dc.

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Netfiend View Post
    heyas..

I am looking for a colo provider that offers colo space for a dell blade server. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

It's a dell 1855.
    7u
    208v 10-15Amp.

Less than 10 mbps at peak currently.

While I'd prefer to deal with a data center in Denver, I am not opposed to shipping it to a reputable dc.

Thanks in advance.
    Is that 10-15amp with the blade enclosure totally full? Or will it be more down the road?
    AS395558

That's full. it's rated for 208v 30amp, but I have never seen it draw above 15amp and that was at powerup. It's currently racked and stacked in my garage on a 220/20amp feed.

In Denver, contact Mike at Handynetworks. Meanwhile I am not sure if they offer colo for blade servers, I know they are a good shop. I was with them for a while before.

Outside of Denver, I would highly recommend Netriver in Seattle area. I know they have some blade servers colo customers already, and cooling for blade is not an issue. Contact Adam Vierra over there.

Thanks much!

I have all 4 power supplies connected to a dell pdu plugged in to a single 220 feed currently. It's been running for a couple months that way without an issue.

4 separate feeds, one for each PS seems a bit overkill. Even for redundancy I would probably use 2 drops with 2 PS on each one.

Considering some of the quotes I have been getting are 800 a month just for a single power feed, I can't imagine even considering 4.

Keep in mind that as you drop from the 220/240 to 208 your amps will climb (more amps at lower volts). We have quite a few customers in our facility running these chassis (but nobody with more than 6 or 7 active blades it seems). I don't know anybody personally in Denver, but if you're looking around the country you'll find some colo providers will assist you with the shipping costs. Given the quotes you're seeing, I'd say it's possible to put you on 2 separate utility feeds for complete redundancy and still not approach half the cost you've mentioned as your "nightmare" quote. :0 Actually, we have some customers we do exactly that for.
    Chris Gebhardt
    VIRTBIZ Internet Services
    Web Hosting, Dallas Colocation, Dedicated Server
    virtbiz.com | ph (972)485-4125 | toll-free (866)485-4125

Hello Netfiend,

The DataCenter where we have all our servers (GIPNetworks - www.gipnetworks.com) have several blade servers in colocation (Dell, SuperMicro, IBM and HP).

I recomend you to contact Reyner (reyner@gipnetworks.com), GIPNetworks have a very good facility and the support is excelent.
    Jose David Bravo | jbravo[at]colombiahosting.com.co
    ColombiaHosting High Quality Hosting in Colombia
    www.colombiahosting.com.co

I'll second that,

Reyner does have a great facility and really does look out for the clients best interest.

Good evidence of how inefficient this industry is - only a few recommendations have been given. You guys have seen postings from Red Rock, why not mention them?

If you are looking for pure colo, here's our current list of retail facilities:

TW Telecom
    ViaWest
    Data102
    Springs Hosting
    TW Telecom
    Comfluent
    Fortrust
    Handy Networks
    HostMySite
    Internap Communications
    Level 3 Communications
    Qwest Communications
    Travelport
    ViaWest
    4dv.net
    Switch & Data
    XO Communications
    Red Rocks Data Center
    SunGard

Travelport provide retail-level services, but they are really targeting the 1000 SF (40 racks) and above client.

<<Snipped>>

Good luck.
    Last edited by anon-e-mouse; 07-09-2009 at 04:27 PM.

We (HostMySite / Hosting.com) don't have any active datacenters in Denver at this time - one is being built but won't be ready anytime in the immediate future.

FDCservers.net have a new datacenter in Denver.

I think it's best if you go for a local solution rather than rely on remote hands (or at least be able to attend in case of emergencies).
    HostGuard.net - VPS Control Panel
    Automating and monitoring your hosting business.

From what I understand, Data393 in Denver has a large percentage of blade deployments. They're part of some data center rollup group now, can't remember the name off hand.

We have all of our stuff at Red Rocks Data Center (we rent half a building from them, they have two, one very large one and one small one, we are in the small one) and have been very happy with them ever since the move from Chicago. Not sure what they would charge for your requirements. You can find contact information on their WHT profile, http://www.webhostingtalk.com/member.php?u=304968, ask for Tom, Brandon or Kris, they are excellent.

As far as facilities are concerned, the place is like a concrete bunker that is very well hidden. It was built by NASA in the 1970s? and renovated to a data center. If you want a place that is very hard to find (good for security), this is the data center. Generator + UPS backup for the whole facility plus backups for those as well. Never have had any downtime since switching with them. On a side note, it is a very interesting place because of it's history beginning with NASA. Definitely highly recommended.

Handy Networks is also nice, we toured their facility before the move from Chicago but the match just wasn't right. They are in the Qwest building off 16th and California.

Comfluent is also a great facility, they are located at mile zero, lots and lots of internet providers to choose from. Ask for Alf.

I would recommend touring all the facilities mentioned above. Not all matches are the same so you may want to investigate just for yourself.

@lockbull: Data393 is now Latisys. (Never toured their facility)

Quote Originally Posted by lockbull View Post
    From what I understand, Data393 in Denver has a large percentage of blade deployments. They're part of some data center rollup group now, can't remember the name off hand.

Data393 is now called Latisys: http://www.latisys.com/
    Travis T | VP
    Data102
    - Colorado Springs' Public Datacenter
    Virtual Private Servers | Colocation | VoIP Hosted Handsets | Email Firewalls | And More

www.Data102.com | Speed Test | 719-387-0000 | 888-328-2012 | Call us Today!