VPS Noob needs to run windows programs on a server

Hey guys. Ok heres the thing, im living in Australia (yes i know there is a forum dedicated to AUS, but i thought id get a quicker response here plus i want overseas hosting, they seem cheaper and better)

Because my ISP gives me a 20GB monthly download limit until they slow my connection down, i need to run my programs that eat up lots of bandwidth on a server.

All i need to run is SEnuke and Link Who%e (bad name i know) In case you dont know, these programs run on windows and they sign up to web2.0 accounts and submit my content on them. Its not Blackhat, they just make my job of promotion as an Internet Marketer a lot easier.

I first looked into Dedicated Servers, but soon found out that they seem to have WAY more stuff than i need.

All i need is a small HD with a lot of monthly bandwidth. Thats why i looked at VPS.

So im still not exactly sure but, Can i run windows programs that run on Windows XP on VPS?

I seem to be finding a lot of VPS hosting that have the operating system Windows 2003 Standard, Does that mean the programs i use that are running on XP WILL NOT RUN on VPS hosting with this?

One company i have found is this::: ww w.netrack servers.c om/hostingsolutions-vps-servers.html

Does this seem like it will do the job i need? Are they trusted?

Can you recommend other VPS that will meet my needs?

Thank you for your time in reading this
    Last edited by oni3350; 07-07-2009 at 12:36 PM.

I think Windows 2008 Hyper-V support XP but I could be wrong. Also not sure about the SPLA licensing with this. Windows 2003 / 2008 though should run your XP programs just fine. How much bandwidth were you actually after?

in most cases your winxp programs will run fine on a windows vps (as long as the application does not need more resources then your VPS can provide).

If i were you I would search the VPS offers section and look for an offer there that meets your requirements.

I need about 100-300GB a month, i think that should be ok.

Can anyone recommend any good VPS where they have a small HD and a lot of bandwidth?

try www.esited.com

I just posted a review about them earlier on my Windows VPS
    VPS User

Quote Originally Posted by oni3350 View Post
    I need about 100-300GB a month, i think that should be ok.

Can anyone recommend any good VPS where they have a small HD and a lot of bandwidth?
    I'd suggest you to get in touch with your prospective provider and see if they can develop a custom configuration for your requirement. Most providers will be willing to do this. BTW, what is your budget for this requirement?
    ██ SoftSys Hosting ██ - 14 Years In Business - 24/7 In-House Support - Enterprise Class Replicated Cloud Servers For HA

Cloud Hosting With Anti-Malware, IDS/IPS, WAF & Litespeed - Windows 2019 Shared Hosting w/ Plesk

I agree with Rick, any Xen host that does windows should already have XP sitting around.
    Technically, it installs and runs just like Server 2K3. But, your programs should also run on 2K3. Looking at the requirements should tell you quickly.
    This is the best signature in the world....Tribute!
    (It is not the best signature in the world, no. This is just a tribute)

Well ive been looking around and getting more familiar with VPS. My budget is around $30-$40 a month. And ive already seen packages with a bandwidth of 1TB a month really cheap. directspace.net do windows VPS upon request for 24.95 with 1TB a month.

Quote Originally Posted by SoftsysHosting-Rick View Post
    I'd suggest you to get in touch with your prospective provider and see if they can develop a custom configuration for your requirement. Most providers will be willing to do this. BTW, what is your budget for this requirement?
    Are you talking about my internet service provider?
    would they really do that? hmmmm

I think he's referring to any host that you have been looking at to do Windows VPS hosting.
    Most will do something customer for you.
    This is the best signature in the world....Tribute!
    (It is not the best signature in the world, no. This is just a tribute)

Quote Originally Posted by mugo View Post
    I think he's referring to any host that you have been looking at to do Windows VPS hosting.
    Most will do something customer for you.
    Exactly - you should be speaking to your web hosting from whom you are planning to buy Windows VPS. Also, I'd recommend you to do your own research by browsing through reviews of your prospective VPS provide so that you do not end up with someone who is operating with a bad reputation in industry.
    ██ SoftSys Hosting ██ - 14 Years In Business - 24/7 In-House Support - Enterprise Class Replicated Cloud Servers For HA

Cloud Hosting With Anti-Malware, IDS/IPS, WAF & Litespeed - Windows 2019 Shared Hosting w/ Plesk

Yer thanks for the tips guys, its either going to be directspace.net , vpsland.com or esited.com havent decided yet.

Was talking to live support on directspace.net untill it cut out.....

I'd recommend SolarVPS, they have Windows VPS's in both the US & UK that should fit your budget / requirements.

Been with them myself for around six months, no complaints so far.

Quote Originally Posted by RandomLittleHost View Post
    I'd recommend SolarVPS, they have Windows VPS's in both the US & UK that should fit your budget / requirements.

Been with them myself for around six months, no complaints so far.
    Damn these guys look ok as well. There are sooo many to choose from, i dont know which one im gonna go with.

Does this one allow programs like ******, and other tools that help to build backlinks to websites.... These tools can be looked upon as blackhat.

Also whats the difference between managed and unmanaged VPS hosting?

Greetings, onl3350. Solar VPS will not allow ****** on our network due to the fact that it does, essentially, spam forums.

In our eyes, spam is spam, no matter what format is used. We would have to field complaints about this, which would result in possible suspension/termination of services.

The last thing that we want to have to work through is getting our IPs delisted from any blacklisting, as that would affect other customers, as well.

You will probably run into this very issue, no matter which hosting provider you utilize.

Best wishes in your hosting search.
    Doug Hazard - "retired" Web Hosting Master
    * Full Stack (Web/WP) Dev for The Catholic Diocese of Richmond (160+ sites)
    * Sports Photographer, Media Personality and CFB Historian
    * Tech Admin for several Sports Networks/Sites