* any hosting suggestions for me?

I've been researching web hosting companies for about a week, and came across this forum. I'm very impressed - what a helpful site for newbies like me! I'd like to ask if you have any suggestions as to which webhosting companies to consider.

I'm looking to host three websites:

1. I already designed using iWeb
    2. want to start a Wordpress blog (to replace my current Blogger blog)
    3. want to start a photo blog, probably also using Wordpress
    4. (to be added down the road) want to be able to sell hand-crafted items (need a shopping card/Paypal/etc.)

I don't expect to need a ton of disk space or bandwidth...just as long as I have enough room for my photos (1 gig or 2 would make me feel comfortable). I'd like to go as cheaply as possible, but still have reliable uptime and decent customer support (I'm a fan of live chat). I'm hoping to spend under $40/year, if possible. I'd like to be able to pay using PayPal.

At first I was thinking of going with JustHost or HostGator, but now I'm thinking I'd rather go with a smaller company. After poking around in this forum, I'm now considering HawkHost, PowerMonster, and JunaWeb. What do you think? Any other suggestions for me?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by JOY0704 View Post
    I've been researching web hosting companies for about a week, and came across this forum. I'm very impressed - what a helpful site for newbies like me! I'd like to ask if you have any suggestions as to which webhosting companies to consider.

I'm looking to host three websites:

1. I already designed using iWeb
    2. want to start a Wordpress blog (to replace my current Blogger blog)
    3. want to start a photo blog, probably also using Wordpress
    4. (to be added down the road) want to be able to sell hand-crafted items (need a shopping card/Paypal/etc.)

I don't expect to need a ton of disk space or bandwidth...just as long as I have enough room for my photos (1 gig or 2 would make me feel comfortable). I'd like to go as cheaply as possible, but still have reliable uptime and decent customer support (I'm a fan of live chat). I'm hoping to spend under $40/year, if possible. I'd like to be able to pay using PayPal.

At first I was thinking of going with JustHost or HostGator, but now I'm thinking I'd rather go with a smaller company. After poking around in this forum, I'm now considering HawkHost, PowerMonster, and JunaWeb. What do you think? Any other suggestions for me?

Thanks for your help in advance.
    Your requirements are not a problem for most web hosts.

I'd like to go as cheaply as possible, but still have reliable uptime and decent customer support (I'm a fan of live chat). I'm hoping to spend under $40/year, if possible. I'd like to be able to pay using PayPal.

It's really not possible to go for a really cheap option and have reliable uptime and decent customer support. If it were everyone would be using the cheapest hosts possible.

$40/year may be possible but for that price you’re likely to have allot of issues. If you want a great service you should be looking more at $7-$10 a month.

Also you say you would rather go for a smaller company. Why? It's not a bad thing it's just a lot different from most people looking for hosting.

If your budget were more like $7/month I would recommend HostGator. Amazing is the only way to describe them.
    Zomex ~ Templates & services for web hosting resellers since 2009!
    #1 Responsive whmcs templates | WHMCS | Wordpress | HTML5 | Settings area
    █ Hire us for responsive whmcs integration - enhance your website using the new "Six" template!

Even if you increased your budget by a couple of dollars a month you can find a more solid hosting solution. Search WHT for the companies you are interested in for user feedback. No matter who the host is there will be both positive and negative feedback but you should get a decent overview.
    Review Hell - Brutally Honest Web Hosting Reviews
    Helpful Web Hosting Advice
    Web Hosting Guide - Easy to Understand For Newbies

I don't know whether 40$/year is a good price or not. But as it is an annual payment and your requirements are not huge it can be feasible. You can check that with hosts. I don't think you have to raise 7-10 dollars for that specs. Just go through the shared hosting offer section and check the offers there. Short list some hosts, search for reviews on them. You can select your provider by your own research. If you need some direct feed back you can ask here. Also check with the host about your requirements and budget. Best of luck.

There are shopping cart plug-ins for WordPress with PayPal integration, so no problem there. iHubNet-Matt had good advice. Call the providers on your short list - it'll give you an instant perception of their ability to support you.
    ProlimeHost- Dedicated Server Hosting & KVM SSD VPS
    Three Datacenter Locations: Los Angeles, Denver & Singapore
    SuperMicro Hardware | Multiple Bandwidth Providers | 24/7 On Site Engineers

I'd say raise your annual payment by a few dollars (10-15) or simply pay monthly if you cannot afford a higher upfront cost right now. Most hosting providers support Paypal. Most hosting providers also support Gallery scripts as well as Wordpress. I'd HIGHLY avoid staying away from JustHost. If you ask why I say this, read up on them here on this forum. They are PROs at marketing and not so PRO on hosting.

There is a very nice shopping cart for websites that use PayPal payments - ShopCMS. It is a good idea to use it. if you want to start photo blog you can try Zenphoto gallery. It is easy to integrate it with WordPress.
    Host Color Cloud Servers & Dedicated Hosting & European Infrastructure Hosting
    U.S. Data center 90 miles from Chicago
    Network ★ AS46873 Level 3, Cogent, Hurricane Electric, Retn.net, Midwest Peering
    24/7 Support 1-574-367-2393; Skype: HostColor

Quote Originally Posted by iHubNet-Matt View Post
    I don't know whether 40$/year is a good price or not. But as it is an annual payment and your requirements are not huge it can be feasible. You can check that with hosts. I don't think you have to raise 7-10 dollars for that specs. Just go through the shared hosting offer section and check the offers there. Short list some hosts, search for reviews on them. You can select your provider by your own research. If you need some direct feed back you can ask here. Also check with the host about your requirements and budget. Best of luck.
    I didn't mean for the specs, I mean for the better customer support/uptime and speed.
    █ Hire us for responsive whmcs integration - enhance your website using the new "Six" template!

Quote Originally Posted by HostColor View Post
    There is a very nice shopping cart for websites that use PayPal payments - ShopCMS. It is a good idea to use it. if you want to start photo blog you can try Zenphoto gallery. It is easy to integrate it with WordPress.
    Great, thank you so much for these suggestions. I will check them out.

The reason I was thinking about choosing a smaller company was because I was hoping they would have better customer service. I mean, all I want is a few simple, basic websites - I don't think I would be very high on a large company's priority list if my sites start having problems! And I'm no guru when it comes to websites. I might have to ask some questions if I start having problems. Would a smaller company be more likely to take the time to help me out? (even if I ask stupid questions?)

But a few of you seem to be HostGator fans....I will look at them again.

Quote Originally Posted by sequencehosting View Post
    I didn't mean for the specs, I mean for the better customer support/uptime and speed.
    Yes in that case also I will stick with my opinion. He definitely will get a better customer support/uptime and speed for a price less than you specified with his specs. And his requirements are also important here. He says he does not need tons of space and bandwidth and 1-2 GB disk space is enough for the time being. I am also talking about a reliable provider ,not a cheap one with horrible support.

Hi Joy, do you have any idea on the amount of traffic your site will recieve? The reason I ask is wordpress can be an intensive application and the amount of traffic (if high) could comsume a fair amount of resources so you would want to find a reliable company with expereince. Although they tend to be a little more the $40/year.
    Last edited by CoishAssociates; 07-07-2009 at 04:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CoishAssociates View Post
    Hi Joy, do you have any idea on the amount of traffic your site will recieve? The reason I ask is wordpress can be an intensive application and the amount of traffic (if high) could comsume a fair amount of resources so you would want to find a reliable company with expereince. Although they tend to be a little more the $40/year.
    My photo blog is pretty much just for family and friends....I'll probably get less than 5 visits a day. The other blog will start out small, but hopefully get a good following eventually...maybe 50 or 100 visits a day? I'm not really sure. I don't think I'll be getting much traffic for a while.

I think I'm going to give HawkHost a try. They seem to have fairly good reviews, and they have a plan that's small enough (and affordable enough) for me. I'll be back to let you know how things go.

Quote Originally Posted by iHubNet-Matt View Post
    Yes in that case also I will stick with my opinion. He definitely will get a better customer support/uptime and speed for a price less than you specified with his specs. And his requirements are also important here. He says he does not need tons of space and bandwidth and 1-2 GB disk space is enough for the time being. I am also talking about a reliable provider ,not a cheap one with horrible support.
    Then we are agreed. Great advice.

-

Well done for finding a host, good luck and let us know how it goes

Quote Originally Posted by JOY0704 View Post
    My photo blog is pretty much just for family and friends....I'll probably get less than 5 visits a day. The other blog will start out small, but hopefully get a good following eventually...maybe 50 or 100 visits a day? I'm not really sure. I don't think I'll be getting much traffic for a while.

I think I'm going to give HawkHost a try. They seem to have fairly good reviews, and they have a plan that's small enough (and affordable enough) for me. I'll be back to let you know how things go.
    Great! I hope your hosting experience with us is a great one.

Quote Originally Posted by layeronline View Post
    Make sure the webhost is ok with photo hosting.

We have no issue with users hosting photo's
    Tony B. - Chief Executive Officer
    Hawk Host Inc. Proudly serving websites since 2004
    Quality Shared and VPS Hosting
    PHP 5.3.x & PHP 5.4.x & PHP 5.5.X & PHP 5.6.X & PHP 7.0.X Support!