VPSspeed Initial Review

Hello All,
    I thought I would share my experience with VPSspeed since I didn't see much info about them on the boards. I have been with them for a little over two weeks now. I was a refugee from the VASERV disaster a while back where I lost it all (thank goodness for my daily off-site rsync backup!).

I had been with VASERV for over a year when the data loss/hacking occurred and quite frankly I was very happy with them. So it was with great regret as I waited for them to rebuild a VPS for me and after 3 days of being down I finally said enough is enough and jumped ship. I went to the offers section and did some trolling.

I have had VPSes at several major providers (VASERV, the old Zone.net, and several smaller companies) so I pretty much know what to expect and how to get around my server. My requirements were a good amount of bw/ram, raid, and Dallas as a data center. I found VPSspeed and honestly was a little skeptical because I hadn't heard much about them. They had a 20% off promotion going so I got the 'Mach-5' plan and figured I would give them a go. I figured the worst that could happen was $40 down the drain.

The VPS was setup to spec and within 12 hours I was online and I started poking around. I noticed that the disk space was incorrect as well as there was a problem with the available iptables modules for the firewall I wanted to install. Having had various trouble with other providers support in the past I was like 'Here we go' and sent in a ticket. Within 20 mins Rick (the owner) replied and corrected the issue within 30 mins. I felt better and had renewed my hope for keeping the box.

I began migrating data and installing software and I was pleasantly surprised by the performance. I am not one for benchmarking boxes but I have had enough of them that I can tell from console the snappy ones and this was fast. Disk IO was great and CPU was plentiful when compiling. I got everything installed and working with no other issues, pointed dns that way and went to browse my site.

The site is a graphic heavy gallery2 install with about 6000 pics. The site was more responsive than I have had on some dedicated servers! I was very pleased with download speeds on large files as well as latency and page load times. All of my 20 image gallery pages loaded in less than half a second a piece! That is very good for my software.

It was about then I got the itch to see about dedicated server offerings because I have a bad habit of always looking for a better deal. I found one in Dallas and setup the new dedi the same as I had the VPS. The VPS performed better and had better routing/network! This was the last confirmation I needed and I plan to be with VPSspeed for the foreseeable future. Great job Rick and VPSSpeed.

This is the website I have hosted with them http://thefamilygarrison.com

I thought, in the interest of full disclosure, that there is a request for unbiased reviews on the vpsspeed.com blog. This has not impacted my review but it didn't feel right not to mention it!

Great, its nice to see you happy with your new host. Keep us updated in about another 6 month's how ever i browsed your site and it didnt respond quite to well while trying to play a video it actually just crashed. Possibly it's just me but maybe someone else can try to play a video.
    〓〓 RackNerd LLC - Introducing Infrastructure Stability
    〓〓 Dedicated Servers, Private Cloud, DRaaS, Colocation, VPS, DDoS Mitigation, Shared & Reseller Hosting
    〓〓 www.linkedin.com/in/dustincisneros/
    〓〓 My fancy email dustin@racknerd.com

Quote Originally Posted by semoweb View Post
    Great, its nice to see you happy with your new host. Keep us updated in about another 6 month's how ever i browsed your site and it didnt respond quite to well while trying to play a video it actually just crashed. Possibly it's just me but maybe someone else can try to play a video.
    Just visited it and had no trouble playing videos!? Do you have quicktime installed as they are quicktime embedded vids? I am using firefox 3 (latest)?

I appreciate the feedback :-)

edit: just tried in ie and it worked as well?

I tried it seems no issues , Normal speed . No crashing here

Thanks for your detailed review mate. To appreciate ones great service is always a good thing. Keep us posted again and hope your experience stays the same in future also.