Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs up vePortal (openvz control panel) - Two Thumbs Up

Over the past week I've tried out a half dozen OpenVZ control panels in a mad rush to find a HyperVM replacement. After trialing what seems like an endless amount of panels, I've settled on vePortal: http://www.veportal.com

If you've tried it in the past (like over two days ago), give it another try. The latest version is fantastic and the install was flawless on CentOS 64-bit.

The main reason I'm using it: My clients. I let a few beta members test out all of the potential panels and the majority of them all asked me to go with vePortal.

The Pros:

- It's stable and doesn't use much in terms of resources.
    - It can be integrated with WHMCS (haven't tried it yet).
    - Lots of updates and features.
    - About the easiest panel (with the exception of WebVZ) to install.
    - It's insanely cheap right now. Only $5 until July 14th.
    - Glow (the developer) is easy to contact. He's happy to work on feature requests for you.
    - More than one developer. Not a one man show.

The Cons:

- It's a single server panel. However, I don't really see this as a con, as I like having all of my nodes completely separate from each other.
    - It could use better monitoring (for containers)... but this is being worked on.
    - A file manager for clients would be nice at some point in the future.
    - The developer has a bad reputation, but he actually brought it up to me. I've talked to him in detail and he is honestly devoted to vePortal.

So that's it, out of all the new HyperVM alternatives popping up, I think this is going to be the one to beat in the future. I've already decided that all of my future nodes will be running it.

And I should state that I was in no way compensated for this review. I'm doing it to help spread the word. I'd really like to see it do well, because I'm banking on it from here on out. But don't take my word for it, go get a trial license so you can test it now, that way you can jump on the $5/month deal before the 14th.

If anyone has any questions about the install or anything, let me know.

We're also testing out this panel on a node, we'll see how it goes but there are still several other panels awaiting release which are also looking like good candidates.
    Shared Hosting / Reseller Hosting / Email Hosting
    Dedicated Servers / Unmetered Servers / Linux & Windows VPS
    DME Hosting, LLC [http://www.dmehosting.com]

Quote Originally Posted by nexbyte View Post
    We're also testing out this panel on a node, we'll see how it goes but there are still several other panels awaiting release which are also looking like good candidates.
    Within the next 2 months, I think there will be at least 10-15 good VPS panels out for Linux VPS's.

I dont find the 5bucks deal - where is it please?

Edit: never mind.. im blind
    Last edited by xpservices; 07-08-2009 at 05:51 PM.

I just wanted to follow up on this thread to let people know that I haven't had any issues with vePortal at all. In fact, I've had a lot of questions for them lately and I don't think I've had to wait more than a few hours for a personal response from them... which is more than I can say for a few of the new panels out there, who I e-mailed days/weeks ago and still haven't heard back.

Their website appears to have some serious issues at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Neosurge View Post
    Their website appears to have some serious issues at this time.
    Care to explain? It looks fine on my end besides a few design issues.

http://www.veportal.com/

Am I looking at the same thing? It's showing a directory index.

Looks like it's back.

- The developer has a bad reputation, but he actually brought it up to me. I've talked to him in detail and he is honestly devoted to vePortal.
    Care you expand on this as I'm interested. We were considering vePortal, however this is a major concern as we don't want another HyperVM fiasco.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason_Slominski View Post
    Care you expand on this as I'm interested. We were considering vePortal, however this is a major concern as we don't want another HyperVM fiasco.
    I would be very hesitant with any of these new control panels coming out. Any of them could become the next HyperVM fiasco. The best sollution would be to just come up with your own or go with a really reputable provider (Virtuozzo).

Quote Originally Posted by Matt - HostPenguin View Post
    I would be very hesitant with any of these new control panels coming out. Any of them could become the next HyperVM fiasco. The best sollution would be to just come up with your own or go with a really reputable provider (Virtuozzo).
    well you'll see a lot of people come out trying to replace the cheap hypervm and virtuozzo doesn't fall into the budget of most people although I agree, it's reputable and I haven't heard any nasty things about the software. Even tried out the trial myself at home pretty nice.

We use VEPortal.

We are helping them fix a lot of bugs and add new features. They seem to be developing a long nicely albeit not as fast as we'd like.

It doesn't matter what software you use as long as you have your own internal security measures. We're experienced in security matters, and secure software development etc.

While we're still testing, it does look solid thus far. It is only $5 per month. Easily removed and swapped to another panel worst case scenario. They give out free trial licenses too.

The panel doesn't install on x86 systems, we have found out today. Support for that needs to be sorted IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzServers-J View Post
    The panel doesn't install on x86 systems, we have found out today. Support for that needs to be sorted IMHO.
    I assume you meant x86_64? We are testing it on a node which is x86 and it seems to be working ok.
    Shared Hosting / Reseller Hosting / Email Hosting
    Dedicated Servers / Unmetered Servers / Linux & Windows VPS
    DME Hosting, LLC [http://www.dmehosting.com]

I assume you meant x86_64? We are testing it on a node which is x86 and it seems to be working ok.
    Not working for us and vePortal have confirmed that their auto-installer doesn't work on it.

Yeah the auto-installer had some problems when we installed it too. We contacted them directly and got a pretty prompt reply with them willing to help though.

Yeah the auto-installer had some problems when we installed it too. We contacted them directly and got a pretty prompt reply with them willing to help though.
    I got next to no help, it was a simple "We have 22 other setups to do and cant be bothered to do the additional setup for you."

Hi,
    i have installed veportal 3 times on a x86_64 system with diferent set ups and the auto installer havent failed . it still have some minor bugs but it runs fine in a 64bit system.

We're running CentOS 64 on all of our production nodes and vePortal works fine on all of them. Only minor issues with the install (database related).

You may find that is VERY incorrect,
    You spoke to a member of the team about getting the system installed for you, They agreed todo it however a MANUAL OpenVZ Install takes a long time, Too long for us todo with our busy schedules.

We will always try if requested to install OpenVZ, Using our Fast & Auto Installer, If that fails its then down to the customer to sort that out.

vePortal is VERY MUCH compatable with x86 Systems. It's just the installer our staff uses is primarily built for i686/i386 setups.

Edit: Didn't realize there was more...

I got next to no help, it was a simple "We have 22 other setups to do and cant be bothered to do the additional setup for you."
    Your slander is getting rather tiring now Jason, The person you spoke with did NOT say he/we could not be bothered todo the setup for you. We have ALOT of installs to do yes, And therefore for that reason we DO NOT offer OpenVZ Installation if the system isn't compatible with the software we use to install it. I believe you should rectify your lies.

Just for the public's view,

Quote Originally Posted by Jason in an Email to vePortal
    vePortal [mailto:XXXXXXXX@veportal.com]
    Sent: 18 July 2009 19:53
    To: XXXXX@buzzservers.XXX
    Subject: Re: Install

I wish there was a way i could do an install for you, But its a lot longer process on X86 Systems to install OpenVZ so we don't do it, I've got about another 22 installs todo today for vePortal alone so i just don't have the time.

Maybe you could look around on the OpenVZ forums for an installer for x86 if you find one let me know and il run it.
    I'm sorry but i don't see anything wrong with that email!

Thankyou to everybody else for your comments Development is going strong, The new website will be up soon with the complete invoicing system and Version 1.5, INCLUSIVE OF CLUSTERING!!!
    Last edited by VW-Donna; 07-20-2009 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Rectifying Ignorance
    D.Woodvine

Quote Originally Posted by VW-Donna View Post
    You may find that is VERY incorrect,
    You spoke to a member of the team about getting the system installed for you, They agreed todo it however a MANUAL OpenVZ Install takes a long time, Too long for us todo with our busy schedules.

We will always try if requested to install OpenVZ, Using our Fast & Auto Installer, If that fails its then down to the customer to sort that out.

vePortal is VERY MUCH compatable with x86 Systems. It's just the installer our staff uses is primarily built for i686/i386 setups.

Edit: Didn't realize there was more...

Your slander is getting rather tiring now Jason, The person you spoke with did NOT say he/we could not be bothered todo the setup for you. We have ALOT of installs to do yes, And therefore for that reason we DO NOT offer OpenVZ Installation if the system isn't compatible with the software we use to install it. I believe you should rectify your lies.

Just for the public's view,

I'm sorry but i don't see anything wrong with that email!

Thankyou to everybody else for your comments Development is going strong, The new website will be up soon with the complete invoicing system and Version 1.5, INCLUSIVE OF CLUSTERING!!!
    I say:

I've got about another 22 installs todo today for vePortal alone so i just don't have the time.
    Pretty much sums up what I said before, which wasn't an exact quote. Out of interest, why are you prancing around as "Donna" when you are called Gavin?

J.S.

Incorrect, My name is indeed Donna, Donna Woodvine to be exact and Yes im both a personal and business friend of Gavin's
    D.Woodvine

Quote Originally Posted by VW-Donna View Post
    Incorrect, My name is indeed Donna, Donna Woodvine to be exact and Yes im both a personal and business friend of Gavin's
    So, this thread is unattended for a few days and then I happen to also get quoted on here and MSN also at the same time? Something fishy going on.

Want to see our Wedding Photo's?

I'm sorry Jason, Like i said Both Personal AND Business Relationship.
    D.Woodvine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast