hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Web Hosting : I am leaving a DreamHost nightmare..

Forum Jump

I am leaving a DreamHost nightmare..

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2009, 04:37 AM

I am leaving a DreamHost nightmare..

Hello all, new to this forum, old to forums generally and blogs

I need your advice.

I have a shared hosting plan in Dreamhost since 2 months (prepaid one year services with a promo last April).

Recently i decided to run 2 sites with Pligg. (name of the sites availabla to who want to learn).

For start Dreamhost promised one click install but there were problems with one click and I had to install Pligg manually.

My sites run for 10 days now and I have a lot of problems with the server connection and when they are up, the sites are very slow.

In these 10 days i have already contacted the support 6 times! They have responded to every email saying "we are sorry, the servers were loaded, fixed" or "there was an abusive user in the server" etc.

They are very gentle but i don't really care because my sites are down and when i try to connect and refresh them, in most cases they are either too slow, or down. When i mean slow it takes 40 seconds or more to connect.

My 2 sites (startups) are going really bad because no user is waiting for 40 seconds to see a site or comes back if the site down. Last Friday I was in an advertising office to promote them and when i said the manager to see the site, he replied "site is down".

Please help me, should i keep up communicating with support asking to fix the problems every time the server is down or too slow? (that means at least once every 2 days). Should i change hosting services?

My confidence to Dreamhost is lost, it's the first time I use an Interantion Hosting Provider, i used to host my sites on Greek Services like TopHost where everything was ok. I think i made a huge mistake with Dreamhost because of a promo code they offered.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2009, 04:40 AM
Junior Guru

Have you tried asking for a refund? Not sure how long their refund policy is? If they don't give you your refund and don't resolve the issue I recommend finding a new host.

Old 07-06-2009, 04:42 AM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by simosmm View Post
Hello all, new to this forum, old to forums generally and blogs

I need your advice.

I have a shared hosting plan in Dreamhost since 2 months (prepaid one year services with a promo last April).

Recently i decided to run 2 sites with Pligg. (name of the sites availabla to who want to learn).

For start Dreamhost promised one click install but there were problems with one click and I had to install Pligg manually.

My sites run for 10 days now and I have a lot of problems with the server connection and when they are up, the sites are very slow.

In these 10 days i have already contacted the support 6 times! They have responded to every email saying "we are sorry, the servers were loaded, fixed" or "there was an abusive user in the server" etc.

They are very gentle but i don't really care because my sites are down and when i try to connect and refresh them, in most cases they are either too slow, or down. When i mean slow it takes 40 seconds or more to connect.

My 2 sites (startups) are going really bad because no user is waiting for 40 seconds to see a site or comes back if the site down. Last Friday I was in an advertising office to promote them and when i said the manager to see the site, he replied "site is down".

Please help me, should i keep up communicating with support asking to fix the problems every time the server is down or too slow? (that means at least once every 2 days). Should i change hosting services?

My confidence to Dreamhost is lost, it's the first time I use an Interantion Hosting Provider, i used to host my sites on Greek Services like TopHost where everything was ok. I think i made a huge mistake with Dreamhost because of a promo code they offered.

Thanks in advance!
Had personal accounts with Dreamhost for 5 yrs. Never had problems, I'd recommend contacting their support. Uptime with them recently has been 100% for the past 5 months. They are rock solid.

Support is usually very helpful, I'd request to see if they can move you to another server or the DreamhostPS.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2009, 04:43 AM

refund? I lost the one month, I signed in in April and I started using their services in May (10 days ago). Moreover it's not the money (i only paid 9 dolars for a year)

I want to learn from exprerienced users in this forum if Dreamhost worth the pain (and i am the unlucky one, and soon they will not have any more problems) or i should take my sites and run to another hosting service...

Old 07-06-2009, 04:43 AM
rogue element

Doesn't sound like DreamHost has gotten any better since I left them a few years ago. DreamHost is good for non-critical sites, but if you're expecting sites to be up reliably, or expecting fast support response times when they aren't, and depending on this for your business image -- then you are with the wrong host.

Old 07-06-2009, 04:46 AM
Web Hosting Master

I know if I was with a host and my website was taken 40 sec's to load I would leave them.I would ask them for a refund then find another good host maybe read reviews on here.

Best of Luck!

Old 07-06-2009, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serverorigin View Post
Had personal accounts with Dreamhost for 5 yrs. Never had problems, I'd recommend contacting their support. Uptime with them recently has been 100% for the past 5 months. They are rock solid.

Support is usually very helpful, I'd request to see if they can move you to another server or the DreamhostPS.
Thank you! I will ask for another server in my next communication (today i already contacted them because me sites are down.. again!)

Old 07-06-2009, 04:58 AM
Junior Guru

Simonsmm, possibly take a look at some sort of vps, if you plan on running social networks or any type of community shared hosting generally isn't the best environment to grow a large community, if your looking to keep it small though shared hosting should be ok. I keep pushing slicehost and linode lately, they offer a decent vps and a decent amount of bandwidth and the best part is you can optimize it yourself by configuring every aspect of your LAMP stack, if you have the time this may be the best route for you. Otherwise try lookign for some other shared hosts.

Old 07-06-2009, 05:05 AM

thanks! the sites are only 10 days, my plans are to stay to shared for 6 months and then, when they will grow up then go to a VPS solution. Buth right now, they are almost always down so they can't grow up!

Right now it's Monday morning in Greece, everybody is in the net, my ads are running but the sites are still down!

Old 07-06-2009, 05:15 AM
WHT Addict

If you are running a crucial business and cannot afford down time, i wonder, why you have been continuing with them for more then a month ?

Changing a hosting provider only take 24 hrs. ( the time need to resolve name servers of your domain)......

Hosting over 85,000+ websites across 100+ countries!

Old 07-06-2009, 05:17 AM

you are right! i though Dreamhost was a good company and problems would stop....

Old 07-06-2009, 05:32 AM
Web Hosting Master

That's the problem when people judge a website by reputation instead of what they have to offer.

I was once like that until i found a relatively unknown host provider "Quality host". Their services are invaluable and top notch and the irony of it is that their prices are cheap. I wrote something about them on my blog.

Old 07-06-2009, 05:37 AM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by simosmm View Post
refund? I lost the one month, I signed in in April and I started using their services in May (10 days ago). Moreover it's not the money (i only paid 9 dolars for a year)

I want to learn from exprerienced users in this forum if Dreamhost worth the pain (and i am the unlucky one, and soon they will not have any more problems) or i should take my sites and run to another hosting service...
You only paid $9 for a year that not alot of money for a year. I would say to you,you get what you pay for. Just maybe that why you are not getting a good service.

Last edited by Ninjapanther-Greg; 07-06-2009 at 05:42 AM.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:32 AM

maybe you should stay with them as they have good reviews just ask to change server of something like that?

Old 07-06-2009, 06:40 AM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Well you could try to ask to be transferred to another server. When the problems keep coming, or they refuse to transfer you. You could always say to go to another host and ask for a refund.

If it is crucial your site is online and you have to much downtime whit a hoster you better can go to another hosting or ask if they can support better uptimes.

Some hosters like me have different price classes and uptimes. How cheaper you have your package how more risk on downtime you take. However downtime need to be always to be kept at a minimum.