Hybrid View

Question Spain dedicated server with 30-50Tb traffic?

Hi!

I'm looking for a dedicated server in Spain. Must have good connectivity to Telefonica. Any pointers to good providers with reasonable prices appreciated.

I'm not very picky about the server hardware, I'm more concerned with good network connectivity and reasonable prices. Below is a typical setup I use, but I'm flexible.
    Intel Quad core 2 Ghz or faster
    8 Gb RAM
    2x1Tb HDD
    1 Gbps uplink

I would prefer to spend under 1000 - 1500 euros per month. Traffic billing either by volume transferred or 95th percentile according to usage. I need to be able to burst to a minimum of 200 Mbps.

P.S. Since I've seen a lot of requests from shady characters, I might just add that this is for web hosting for a EU corporate client. All legit stuff. I need to offload some traffic local to Spain for a better end user experience.

- Zed

I think you can get a good quote from NFSI.pt, they're a DC from Portugal and a very good one.

They should have a great connectivity to Telefonica.

Their email is: sales@nfsi.pt

Regards,
    Miguel
    Senior System Administrator / DevOp - LinkedIn / MailChannels Director of Sales, Europe
    MyW - Shared/Reseller Hosting & Server Management (cPanel/DA/Virtualization Servers)

didnt the op said he want a server from Spain and not from Portugal?

Quote Originally Posted by Maikon View Post
    didnt the op said he want a server from Spain and not from Portugal?
    Jep. Furthermore I actually have a quote from NFSI. Their Madrid datacenter doesn't seem to be online yet, despite claims that it would come online in April. NFSI also isn't directly connected to Telefonica, but transits through Deutche Telecom, which results in round trip times of 71 msec.

- Zed

Quote Originally Posted by zeduser View Post
    Jep. Furthermore I actually have a quote from NFSI. Their Madrid datacenter doesn't seem to be online yet, despite claims that it would come online in April. NFSI also isn't directly connected to Telefonica, but transits through Deutche Telecom, which results in round trip times of 71 msec.

- Zed

Told you about NFSI because I thought it was ok since they have direct peerings to Spain.

Yes, that is also true, NFSI now owns a DC in Madrid.
    Senior System Administrator / DevOp - LinkedIn / MailChannels Director of Sales, Europe
    MyW - Shared/Reseller Hosting & Server Management (cPanel/DA/Virtualization Servers)

Quote Originally Posted by MrGeneral View Post
    Told you about NFSI because I thought it was ok since they have direct peerings to Spain.
    Neither their website or looking glass confirms this.

Quote Originally Posted by MrGeneral View Post
    Yes, that is also true, NFSI now owns a DC in Madrid.
    Good for them. However, when quoted they explicitly told me that they would not be directly connecting to Telefonica. I hope they are doing better in Madrid than in Lisboa, because their connectivity through DTAG to Telefonica is a joke.

- Zed

Neither their website or looking glass confirms this.

Good for them. However, when quoted they explicitly told me that they would not be directly connecting to Telefonica. I hope they are doing better in Madrid than in Lisboa, because their connectivity through DTAG to Telefonica is a joke.

- Zed

We, Portugal, have connections to Madrid.
    Direct connections, everyone has to pass by them.

Regarding Lisboa connectivity: its good, I don't have any problems tho. But if isnt enough for you... keep searching. Best luck for you.

I'd say, email them asking about the Madrid Datacenter.

Hi!

I'm looking for a dedicated server in Spain. Must have good connectivity to Telefonica. Any pointers to good providers with reasonable prices appreciated.

I'm not very picky about the server hardware, I'm more concerned with good network connectivity and reasonable prices. Below is a typical setup I use, but I'm flexible.
    Intel Quad core 2 Ghz or faster
    8 Gb RAM
    2x1Tb HDD
    1 Gbps uplink

I would prefer to spend under 1000 - 1500 euros per month. Traffic billing either by volume transferred or 95th percentile according to usage. I need to be able to burst to a minimum of 200 Mbps.

P.S. Since I've seen a lot of requests from shady characters, I might just add that this is for web hosting for a EU corporate client. All legit stuff. I need to offload some traffic local to Spain for a better end user experience.

- Zed
    Softlayer peers w/ Telefonica, they are in the US though. I would test speeds to Spain from Softlayer servers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Wall View Post
    Softlayer peers w/ Telefonica, they are in the US though. I would test speeds to Spain from Softlayer servers.
    Well, duh. Lots of people peer with Telefonica, but means jack sh*t if they are not in Spain!

- Zed

Well, duh. Lots of people peer with Telefonica, but means jack sh*t if they are not in Spain!

- Zed
    1) Softlayer has one of the BEST Network's
    2) Softlayer Peer's with Telefonica
    3) People use their servers, even if their main audience isn't in the US

1) You can't beat physics even with the best network - round trip time from Softlayer to Telefonica 100+ ms.
    2) Already been covered.
    3) Each to their own. If you can live with the god awful latency, more power to you.

- Zed

1) You can't beat physics even with the best network - round trip time from Softlayer to Telefonica 100+ ms.
    2) [strike]Already been covered.[/strike] Appears to be transiting through AT&T, despite claims of direct peering.
    3) Each to their own. If you can live with the god awful latency, more power to you.

- Zed

Not sure about any DC's in Spain. What about OVH? They are somewhat geographically close and am sure that can meet your bandwidth needs. Just a suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by volumedrive View Post
    Not sure about any DC's in Spain. What about OVH? They are somewhat geographically close and am sure that can meet your bandwidth needs. Just a suggestion
    OVH are not serious.

Greetings,

Quote Originally Posted by fvillalba View Post
    OVH are not serious.

Greetings,
    We have no personal experience with them, so can't comment... but why are they not serious? Please enlighten us.

We have no personal experience with them, so can't comment... but why are they not serious? Please enlighten us.
    BAD Support

BAD Network

Not sure about any DC's in Spain. What about OVH? They are somewhat geographically close and am sure that can meet your bandwidth needs.
    As far as I can tell OVH only has a datacenter in northern France, which is not close to Spain. - Zed

Looks like traceroute NL - Telefonica is ~ 36 ms before it hits the telefonica network.
    (Telefonica wholesale). Thats pretty good.

Telefonica's link on AMS-IX is congested, so if you would consider a NL provider for your needs. i would suggest one that connects trough a carrier like Telia. Not one that peers directly with Telefonica on the AMS-IX.
    Swiftway.net Your Business deserves our Quality - Experts on Hand since 2005. Europe & US locations, we operate our own network AS35017 Support response time <15 minutes 24/7
    Introducing our new Entry level server line ! Support response time <15 minutes 24/7. Technology Fast 50 & Fast 500 award winning for multiple years, Your Business deserves Swiftway Quality.

Quote Originally Posted by swiftnoc View Post
    Looks like traceroute NL - Telefonica is ~ 36 ms before it hits the telefonica network.
    (Telefonica wholesale). Thats pretty good.
    36 ms is quite a lot considering the alternatives in Spain. Was this for some network in particular or just a general observation?

Quote Originally Posted by swiftnoc View Post
    Telefonica's link on AMS-IX is congested, so if you would consider a NL provider for your needs. i would suggest one that connects trough a carrier like Telia. Not one that peers directly with Telefonica on the AMS-IX.
    I'm not really looking for NL providers, but thanks for the heads up.

- Zed

Unless you're doing latency sensitive stuff, which doesn't seem to be the case, you should be testing download speeds, not ping times.
    478east
    High Bandwidth Servers
    Custom Hosting Solutions

Quote Originally Posted by cristibighea View Post
    Unless you're doing latency sensitive stuff, which doesn't seem to be the case, you should be testing download speeds, not ping times.
    I'm quite sure you are aware that the user experience and the throughput of a web site is a function of both latency and bandwidth. Furthermore in the real world, when you need to sort out connectivity problems it helps to be directly connected and being able to talk to all parties involved. That's totally impossible if you are transiting N networks to reach your customers thousands of miles away.

- Zed

We're not talking about thousands of miles here; even though I don't like the setup of OVH I think it's the best price you're going to get and it should give you great speed. Just do some tests, as 36 milliseconds is nothing. I'm seeing on a home connection from Eastern Europe to Chicago 1,5MB/s, and that's several thousand miles.
    478east
    High Bandwidth Servers
    Custom Hosting Solutions

We're not talking about thousands of miles here; even though I don't like the setup of OVH I think it's the best price you're going to get and it should give you great speed.
    From OVH's datacenter to Madrid it is about 1500 km, further if you want to reach end users in the provinces and even further if following how traffic is routed, which seems to go through London and Paris at times to/from OVH. It all adds up.

Just do some tests, as 36 milliseconds is nothing. I'm seeing on a home connection from Eastern Europe to Chicago 1,5MB/s, and that's several thousand miles.
    Peak values are not mean values. A good writeup why latency matters:
    http://glinden.blogspot.com/2006/11/...at-web-20.html

From OVH's datacenter to Madrid it is about 1500 km, further if you want to reach end users in the provinces and even further if following how traffic is routed, which seems to go through London and Paris at times to/from OVH. It all adds up.
    The DataCenter OVH is located in France, Paris, no Espaņa, Madrid.

OVH servers have IP's Spanish, but are geographically located in Paris.

Sorry for my English.

Greetings,

The speed is constant throughout the day on that specific test; anyway, I'm still recommending you do more download tests from various providers around Europe to see which will work best if you're going for something affordable, otherwise there are plenty of DCs in Spain, but it will cost you quite a bit.
    478east
    High Bandwidth Servers
    Custom Hosting Solutions