Very confused over a very basic question!

Hello guys, I am starting to design my e-commerce website at the moment and have a question that hopefully one of you guys can shed some light on - I'm using Dreamweaver and currently learning it, i am very competent with computing and will learn quickly, but don't understand one VERY basic thing that embarrasses me to ask, but can't find the answer anywhere.

When designing the website, should I create the website in a normal HTML page using css? I've looked at the source of some e-commerce websites and they seem to have php and javascript pages which has made me unsure of what to do.

example of some code i found:
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="/styles/2009_all.php" />
    <script type="text/javascript" src="/js/2009_all.php" language="JavaScript"></script>

All i want to make is an e-commerce website with css, so will have shopping cart and the such. So how exactly should it all be made? I know some shopping carts use php, so can i make html websites and a php shopping cart? or do i make every page using php? Basically i'm aiming to have something similar to and

Slightly confused, please help
    thanks in advance

Open two pages in dreamweaver. The first page would be named index.html (or something like that). The second page would be named main.css (or whatever you desire).

If you make your design in photoshop first (assuming you will be using graphics and such), it will be much easier when it comes to doing the css and placing the graphics.

In index.html you would want to code up your page so that it is functional. main.css would basically follow your <div> tags and add color, borders, graphics, etc. to your index.html page.

The code <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="/styles/2009_all.php" /> basically tells you where the style sheet is located so that the html page can reference it.

I hope this helps! I'll keep watching this thread for any additional questions or clarifications.