Thread: New Host Help

New Host Help

I am currently with JustHost and I really regret signing up. I've been with them a month and am now experiencing my second downtime in two weeks the first lasted 3 days.

Now the server is rejectng my log in and my site has a cpanel/apache thing all over it. I've had enough. I have contacted JustHost and I am still waiting to hear back 2 hours later.

I know the usual questions are what do I need. Well, I honeslty am not sure about space and such. I am using the website for my online business which hsn't gone live because I am still trying to figure out all the code and things with Cubecart.

My ecommerce site would not be huge to start I am only selling a few things, but I would need it not to crash constantly, I will also need GREAT and fast support. I've been looking into Hostgator, but honestly I am so nervous, I don't know if they are just another JustHost with shoddy support, hosting and shady advertising.

Any help appreciated!

thats a pretty big company and a 3 day outage is a very long time...too long imo.

what kind of space and bandwidth are you using? or how much do you remember using before all the problem? you could just look around the offers section and see what looks good for you.

Don't be fooled by Unlimited space and bandwidth offers - that's just overselling and you are bound to get disappointed if your site gets too big. although Hostgator is known for having good support - you could give them a try if you want but it is up to you.

For a new site your needs would be minimal, I suggest just giving HostGator a shot and then upgrading or moving later on as needed once you have a little better idea of what you're trying to accomplish and what you need to accomplish it.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

oh and do you think DreamHost would be ok. I see that they are offering a year f service for $9.24

Quote Originally Posted by babypip View Post
    oh and do you think DreamHost would be ok. I see that they are offering a year f service for $9.24
    That's less than a $1 per month - it will likely work just don't expect the world for less than $1/month.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    That's less than a $1 per month - it will likely work just don't expect the world for less than $1/month.
    I would also say the same here. Whatever you pay is always what you get in return.

If you do try them let us know how it goes!
    ~ Abby

Quote Originally Posted by njoker555 View Post
    thats a pretty big company and a 3 day outage is a very long time...too long imo.

what kind of space and bandwidth are you using? or how much do you remember using before all the problem? you could just look around the offers section and see what looks good for you.

Don't be fooled by Unlimited space and bandwidth offers - that's just overselling and you are bound to get disappointed if your site gets too big. although Hostgator is known for having good support - you could give them a try if you want but it is up to you.
    I've come to understand unlimited isn't so, but at the sametime, I don't think I am using that much. to be honest, I have no idea how much I was using before. My site wasn't live, I was still playing with layout, and I cannot even log on right now to check my past usage.

Could you direct me to the offers page? I can't seem to find it from the main forums page. Thanks!

Also, it seems that dreamhost is a doing a promotion, so I was wondering if their service had been good in the past. If so it might be worth checking out for $10.

I just got a short message from Justhost 2.5 hours later, it will be several hours to fix as their drive is down again. Any ideas of when I should change over? Should I wait until my site is fixed (I have a recent backup) or can I do it now while their servers are down.

you can move now if you want but it is up to you - you can wait and give them another shot and hope for the best or find another host since you have a recent backup. I can only advise that you go with your guts here.

Dreamhost is *always* doing the $10 promotion - there's nothing new about that. JustHost uses cPanel where as DreamHost uses a proprietary control panel so moving to/from Dreamhost isn't going to be as easy as it would be to move to/from another cPanel host.

You can change hosts at any time as long as you have a backup - make sure it is a FULL BACKUP and not just a "home directory" backup.

And here is the shared hosting offers section:
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4

Thanks everyone! As you can tell is so new to me, I truly appreciate all of your help. I've given JustHost two chances, that is enough. I am not looking forward to trying to get my money back, from what I've read it seems like they have a habit of not responding to/ignoring cancellation emails.

I will check the offers page, thanks!

as as everyone else says, check around to see who is going to be here a while and who is a fly by night company who is looking to make a buck and then disappear.
    Hostcrate.com - Shoutcast Streams & Web Hosting
    █ Custom Streams Available - Contact me - We're in Second Life Too!
    Real Quality - Real Support - Real Affordable since 2008!

3 days downtime, I would definitley be shopping for another hosting services. But i guess that me considering my company is based off of it. But my advice would be to start looking now

If your needs are small, do yourself a favor, and avoid to get unlimited space/bandwidth packages (there's not such thing, and any host offering you that is lying to you to get you as a customer) or huge packages for the prices of a 6-pack beer, you wont be able to use them anyway, since probably the host have strict rules on where will cancel/suspend your account once you start to not become profitable to them.

Search a reasonable priced package according to your REAL needs. There many good hosts out there, is just a matter of search for it instead of pick the bigger package for the less money.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

A small VPS should suit your needs. Also, VPS are cost effective so you should not have a problem with the monthly price. Just make sure you choose a reputable host. You should make a list and ask us what we think about them. You will find a better host that way.
    RomesBlog - Dividend Investing, Financial News, Personal Portfolio and More.
    X - Follow me on X.