Experience : Moving from Pair Networks to WiredTree

I’ve been a big fan of Pair Networks (Linky to 2005 review) and had chosen them, in fact, based on webhostingtalk's reviews. Pair network’s uptime & stellar support levels kept me as their customer for nearly 5 years (end 2004 – 2009). They have supported www.Team-BHP.com’s growth from a small 500 member forum to one with 50,000 members today.

However, and unfortunately, Pair Networks hasn’t kept their hardware up with the times. Their current server offerings are simply too outdated for the premium pricing. C’mon, Core2Duo E6700 + 6 GB RAM + single 7,200 rpm hard-disk for $800 monthly? To their credit, as a long term customer, they did offer me a discount on the QS-5, but we quickly outgrew that as well . I’d say Pair is still a good choice for shared hosting, maybe even entry level dedicated boxes, but their high-end dedicated server offerings need a massive overhaul. I am pretty sure that Team-BHP wasn't the only website which outgrew them. Hopefully the management brings in new hardware and takes Pair back to the top.

This is when a Senior Vbulletin official recommended WiredTree to me. I came back to webhostingtalk and searched for some more WT reviews. After seeing a ton of positive comments, especially from senior webhostingtalk members, I started visiting WiredTree's website to price-compare different configs.

I dashed off an email to Zac, stating my requirements and received a prompt reply. His quote was straight-forward and included the discounts currently being offered on this forum. I zeroed in on Dual Xeons, 16 GB of RAM and 4x147 GB 15k hard disks.

www.Team-BHP.com is not simply a forum. We have several softwares installed (vbull, subdreamer etc. etc.) and most sections hold a sizeable database. Further, some of them are customised as well. I’m not exactly a techie and had made it clear to WiredTree that any migrations would be entirely handled by them. We agreed on a reasonable migration charge (since Pair doesn't have CPanel).

Special mention to Joe Doss for his exemplary handling of my migration. This is the kind of a guy who makes a company great. Joe led the show on Team-BHP’s migration, kept me updated of the progress at each stage and, on one occasion, even replied from his house late at night to my NOT-so-urgent query. Expectly, there were about 10 – 12 bugs that cropped up (different paths, tables gone corrupt etc.), yet Joe & his excellent team handled all of them with precision. No problem that was solved by them at the first shot has reappeared. Team-BHP's running like a well-oiled website at the moment.

What I like about WiredTree:

• Outstanding support: Quick response, first-attempt resolution and a friendly tone that seems to communicate “Please take our help, it’s what we are here for”. Crystal clear direct approach (no beating around the bush). A very motivated bunch of fellas.
    • Reasonable pricing (more so with the current offers).
    • Fast network. Pages loading quickly from our end in India.
    • Emails : Less spam. I’ve complained before on Pair’s handling of spam (in my '05 review). My 5 different email accounts would get about 40 – 50 spam mails coming through on a daily basis. With wiredtree, its down to 5% or less of that.
    • CPanel : Simply put, I can't figure why any web hosting organisation (including Pair) won't use it. Amazing server management software.
    • Scalability : V. IMP considering that we outgrew our previous host + moving home is not something one looks forward to. WT seems to have a long list of upgrades to keep up with our potential growth (SSD's, litespeed etc. etc.).

Wishlist : One central login to manage everything to do with my WT account. Right now, there is grove, WHM and Cpanel. I don't see the point of 3, when 1 could do the job. No biggie though.

That’s pretty much my initial impression with WiredTree and I do intend to update this review on a periodic basis (to help others who are considering). Am not one to change my hosts too often, as long as the network, reliability, uptime & support are strong. If the early days are anything to go by, Team-BHP’s gonna stick it out with WiredTree for a long time.

Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by RushabhParekh; 07-04-2009 at 11:23 AM.

Great to hear your experiances, do keep us posted if anything changes to the better or worse.

Glad to hear everything's working out with WiredTree.

Just out of curiosity, any reason why you didn't go with a company that has servers located in India, based on your demographic of mostly Indian users?

A very nicely written review. regarding your suggestion of single login. while it might be looking good for server with 1or 2 users. but its essential to have different login in case of multiple users.

btw, I am member of your forum as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ankit View Post
    Just out of curiosity, any reason why you didn't go with a company that has servers located in India, based on your demographic of mostly Indian users?
    Cost Cost Cost!
    The Cost of bandwidth in India is exorbitant. so its cost-effect to host sites in US as its dirt cheap compared to Asia.

Speaking for pair - there will be updates to the hardware lineup, but not until we put the finishing touches on our customized FreeBSD 7.2 build, which will better support the newest hardware. Of course, our dedicated servers are fully-managed, fully-warrantied, top to bottom, no questions asked, with 24x7 phone support - you know all that, but it's naturally a factor in pricing, as we plan to stay in business another 13.5 years after this first 13.5 years

CPanel makes an attractive-looking product. Under the hood, we don't like how it works, and we find there is very little if importance, if not nothing, that cannot be accomplished as easily or better in our proprietary Account Control Center.

Thanks,
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Ankit View Post
    Cost of bandwidth and lack of consistent support. I've burnt my fingers with a local hosting provider or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary4gar View Post
    btw, I am member of your forum as well.
    It's a small online world indeed. What's your Team-BHP handle?

Quote Originally Posted by sigma View Post
    you know all that, but it's naturally a factor in pricing, as we plan to stay in business another

13.5 years after this first 13.5 years
    You can say that again. Your service + network kept us loyal for 5 years and, as I stated, I remain a fan of Pair. Have already emailed my suggestions to your management (and Ryan), so won't go indepth here. But in my books, Pair's high end server hardware needs to be upgraded on a more consistent basis for its high-end (premium paying) customers. It's been what...18 months (or is it 12?) since you last updated your QS4 - QS5 hardware specs? 15K discs, RAID options, SSD's etc. etc. are sign of the times, and a premium service provider MUST provide the same (or more). I'm a car guy so excuse the automotive analogy : Can Toyota offer a 400 BHP car and Mercedes only 200? Or, can Honda offer airbags as stock, while BMW wont, even on its top end car? I sincerely hope Pair takes this suggestion seriously and that we can cross paths in the future for my other websites.

CPanel makes an attractive-looking product. Under the hood, we don't like how it works
    I'm not a technie so I cannot comment on the under-the-hood workings(others may chip in). As an end user, and based on first impression, I much prefer CPanel as it gives me far more functionality. Plus, moving from a CPanel host to another is a lot simpler.

Quote Originally Posted by RushabhParekh View Post

It's a small online world indeed. What's your Team-BHP handle?
    Its same, gary4gar

I'm not a technie so I cannot comment on the under-the-hood workings(others may chip in). As an end user, and based on first impression, I much prefer CPanel as it gives me far more functionality. Plus, moving from a CPanel host to another is a lot simpler.
    The thing with Cpanel is its not flexible. It comes with its own package versions and everything related to system is controlled by Cpanel. There is no room for customization, like if I want to replace default web server from apache to something light and fast like lighttpd. I can't do it, It would break cpanel as apache is literally fused into cpanel.

From User perspective; Cpanel is like a iPhone, everybody wants one

Thanks a Lot for the detailed review. It helps a Lot for people like us.

You have a Fantastic Site, BTW. GoodLuck With ur new Host.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary4gar View Post
    Its same, gary4gar
    Aha, the Chevy guy!

It comes with its own package versions and everything related to system is controlled by Cpanel. There is no room for customization, like if I want to replace default web server from apache to something light and fast like lighttpd. I can't do it, It would break cpanel as apache is literally fused into cpanel.
    If that's the primary reason, then I have no cause of complaint. I'd only want my forum to run on a well-tuned Apache. An expert is currently on just this job.

Quote Originally Posted by raja314 View Post
    Thanks a Lot for the detailed review. It helps a Lot for people like us.
    I'll keep updating this thread periodically with my experiences.

You have a Fantastic Site
    Hey thanks! If you are a petrolhead, you MUST come by. I insist

Thanks for the review Rushabh! I'm glad we could be of assistance and that the migration and optimization went smoothly!
    Zac Cogswell
    WiredTree Fully Managed VPS and Dedicated Hosting | Average Helpdesk Response <15 Minutes, 24x7 Instant Phone Support
    Follow us on Twitter: @WiredTree | Like us on Facebook: facebook.com/WiredTree
    zac @ wiredtree.com | toll-free: 1.866.523.8733 local: +1.312.447.0510

*5 month update*

In a nutshell, all I can say is I am glad I chose wiredtree.

- Wiredtree's support continues to impress. Not only did I have several tickets during the initial time of migration (expected) that were handled well, but more recently (last week), we were hit by the infamous "centino" vulnerability. WiredTree's team literally bent over backward in cleaning up my server and implementing some additional steps for security. What was impressive is that, they even performed some cleanup / security work outside of their usual scope of server administration, pro-actively and without any additional $$$ charges. Their quality of support & turnaround time stays positive.

- Uptime : In the last 5 months, my website has been down for only 2 hours in the afternoon (Indian time). This was when they were upgrading their infrastructure (IIRC, the routers).

It's tough enough to find a reliable host with competitive pricing, a solid network and super support. Wiredtree gives me all three, their friendly attitude is a bonus!

*Gives a virtual pat on the back to Joe, Chris, Hristos, Jack, James, Jeff, Matthew and Sebastian (especially!)*. Thanks for looking after us, guys.

I can second you. I had a very good time with them (WT) and just left because I could use a server paid by my company at another provider. I would go back to WT any time. Wonderful support and nice fine tuned hard/software.

Thanks for the review and the update mate. Hope your journey continue the same in future also. Keep us updated in regular intervals.

One Year Update

Its exactly a year since I moved over to WiredTree. As they say, there ain't no satisfied customer like the return customer. I have just placed an order for my 2nd server with them. Thanks for looking after us Zac, Joe & Gang.

Excellent review. WiredTree is definitely doing something right.

Thanks for posting the review for all of us. It's always nice to see well-written reviews with detail and no bashing.
    FiberPeer.Com | | REAL DDoS Protection | Cloud Hosting | VPS | Dedicated Servers | High Bandwidth Hosting | 1Gbps-10Gbps Unmetered
    FiberPeer DDoS Mitigation | ethProxy Upgraded! | 14-Years Experience | Emergency 24/7 Support
    Visit us @ www.fiberpeer.com

Thanks for coming back again and updating with your experience with them. I think they are keeping their good work by keeping you happy.

Yes WiredTree does gives you one of the best experience in terms of support and servers..

Setting up the second server for our website was no easy task. We've got a long list of softwares & thus, there was a fair amount of tweaking & fine-tuning involved.

I'm happy to state that WiredTree managed it exceedingly well. Both my servers are functioning smoothly, and all of the various sections perform just as intended. Couple of points:

Support response time: Remains F-A-S-T. Receiving a reply within 10 minutes (or less) is now taken for granted. More importantly, it's not a mere back & forth between us (or replying to support tickets for the sake of it). Issues are resolved equally fast. I'll go a step further and state their support in 2010 is better than it was in 2009. Good to see they are managing expansion well.

Scalability: WiredTree's packages are competitively priced. Scalability should be affordable (as your website grows). I'm paying a reasonable price for two high-end servers, one of which is running Intel SSDs!

No upselling: I was keen on an upgrade to 1000Mbps Public + Private lines. WiredTree categorically informed me that I wouldn't benefit from this upgrade at all. Saves me monthly $$$.

What would make me happier: Better pricing on their R1soft backup solutions. It's currently waaaay too expensive. I had to outsource this to someone else.

Thanks for looking after us, Joe & gang.

We have been looking at WT as well (preferring a provider who owns their own datacenter), but it seems their R1Soft backup is indeed what may keep us from going their route. I am not sure why theirs is so expensive... maybe they can tell us.

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamP View Post
    We have been looking at WT as well (preferring a provider who owns their own datacenter), but it seems their R1Soft backup is indeed what may keep us from going their route. I am not sure why theirs is so expensive... maybe they can tell us.
    Yep, their R1 soft is indeed frighteningly expensive. Do what I do. Hosting from WiredTree, R1soft outsourced to Rack911. Steven's a great guy, understands Linux like no other and has reasonable pricing for his R1soft packages.

I regret to inform that WiredTree's service levels have most definitely dipped of late. The last quarter (October 2010 onward) in particular has provided an unsatisfactory experience, and I feel its important to keep updating this review thread with my opinion.

- My hard disks (four on a Raid10 set up) were due for a capacity upgrade. I had originally scheduled this for Saturday the 11th of December, which was agreed & acknowledged by WT. Not done. We rescheduled it again to Saturday night. Well, it's now over 13 hours since the upgrade work started, and my website is STILL not online. The equally-important email system is down too. 8 hours through the upgrade, I am told that the data transfer process has failed, because it was set to copy from the wrong disk by WiredTree (and thus, the wrong data). Still waiting.

- Last week's network / power failure at WiredTree...well, it can happen to any data center. Electronic parts do fail. However, what I'm not happy with is that after their network was up and running again, my website was offline for 7 hours. Reason? My two servers were unable to communicate over their malfunctioning private network. It was only after I called (7 hours too late) that the two servers were made to communicate over the public network (as a temp measure), and my website was back up and running. I would have expected more pro-active support here. The fact that my servers were unable to communicate between each other, on their failed private network (which I presume they were aware of), was only brought to their attention by me.

- In the month of November, I've seen two errors from the billing department, a mysql table optimisation that went wrong (and kept us offline for 4 hours) and some other small issues.

- My gut feel is : The time taken to solve issues has gone up significantly. In a nutshell, the attention to detail and extreme customer focus that I saw in the Wired Tree of 2009, and through 2010, is missing as we move into 2011.

I hope it's not because of poor scalability (that is, having more customers than one can handle).

- Unrelated, but still related : Is it too much to expect better service, as someone who rents two servers, than someone who has an entry VPS account? Do hosts have separate customer service departments for the higher-billing customers? If not, I'd say it would be a good idea to implement a "priority support system".

I'm actually a big fan of WiredTree and hope they get back to the good ol' standards. It's been an enjoyable customer experience up until the last quarter of 2010. For whatever its worth, in my 5 years with Pair, I never faced such issues and found their support to be consistently A+ throughout.

For the sake of us customers, and WiredTree itself, I hope my next update on this thread will be a positive one. A win-win situation is one where the customer is as happy with the service provider, as the service provider is with the business.

I recently bought a forum currently hosted with wiredtree, and its the first time that I've seen an internal server error with them. So, now I asked the previous owner to make sure the information is safe....

Wiredtree needs to crank up its server efforts. Because where I am at, I am looking to move that site off that server.
    Returns after a long haitus.

No news is perhaps good news! Since my last update in December, WiredTree appears to be back in business. For the period of January - April, my two servers have not suffered a single downtime incident.

Thanks for your efforts in getting back to the good ol' days, Wiredtree. I hope to see this kind of performance continue over the longer term.

wiredtree is a Top provider fast support and good servers i am verry satisfied until now ... great job

Very good to hear things have been going well since your last update Rush, and thank you for taking the time to update your post! Things should keep continue running smoothly as we've made many network and infrastructure upgrades over the last few months and have more lined up for this year.
    Zac Cogswell
    WiredTree Fully Managed VPS and Dedicated Hosting | Average Helpdesk Response <15 Minutes, 24x7 Instant Phone Support
    Follow us on Twitter: @WiredTree | Like us on Facebook: facebook.com/WiredTree
    zac @ wiredtree.com | toll-free: 1.866.523.8733 local: +1.312.447.0510

Happy to report that the rough patch we hit in the December-January period is now well behind us. WiredTree appears to have made significant investment in upgrading their infrastructure, and weeding out all the troublesome spots. Their servers & network now run like a well-oiled machine.

It's been EIGHT months since my last update, and Team-BHP has NOT suffered a single instance of downtime. In fact, in the year 2011 (so far), I have not opened a single ticket to resolve any technical issues from WT's end. Whatever tickets I've created have been for our own tweaking & enhancements (cron jobs, https certificates etc.).

Please keep up the good work, WiredTree. Your consistent performance will support our growth and thus, yours too

Nice review and nice site.
    Hosting is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

WiredTree has gotten their mojo back

Pleased to report that there are no negative updates in the ~10 months since my last post on this thread. Downtime has been nearly zero (whatever was there is too negligible to mention), overall support quality is now back to stellar levels and the network remains fast. I haven't even needed to get in touch with Joe, James or Zac for anything (it's unlikely that they miss my long emails ).

A+ rating on the current scorecard. Very happy to have completed 3 years with them. I've recommended a lot of folk to WiredTree in the last 2 quarters.

Till the next update...

Quote Originally Posted by RushabhParekh View Post

Till the next update...
    Hello,

It appears (read this on your website itself) that you have now moved from WiredTree to some other service provider in India (E2E Networks)

Can you please give us details about why you made the switch, the underlying reasons, experiences and the breaking point that made you move away from WiredTree?

Since your website / forum is large the information would be valuable.

Thanks!

KRS