Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Question Hosting Audio & Video | Does unlimited packages for real in case I need a lot

Hi,

I am about to start my new website and it is offering a lot of audio and video files.

It will require a lot of space and a lot of bandwidth. REALLY A LOT.

I've realized that many hosters offering unlimited package for everything for about a range from 5 to 10 usd per month.

So is it for real when they are saying that it is unlimited? or just for promoting their services?

Also I will offer a download for the hosted files plus the ability to view online.

So which one you do trust for this purposes?

I've realized that many has been mentioned in several topics as host gator, site5, bluehost...etc and so

So please advise for these questions because I do not want to start and invest then get down or disappointed as I am the only one who will finance the whole issue.

Thanks for your time and your feedback is highly much appreciated.

M.

You should absolutely avoid unlimited plans, especially if you are going to use alot of disc space/bandwidth.
    Start with a small reliable plan with fixed limits (for reliable I mean something like 10GB disc space, not those who offers 500GB for 2$!) that can be upgraded when needed to more disc/bandwidth
    -> Bibihost.com <-> Since 2010 Professional Hosting in EU and USA <-
    -> No cheap stuff, we provide only professional hosting on powerful machines <-> Speed and responsiveness are first priority! <-

They all have catch in their plan. Some of them (unlimited hosting companies) limit you by number of files you can host, some limit you by number of cpu resources you can use and some by data transfer ...

So, actually they are not unlimited. I will advise you not to go with unlimited hosting plans ...

Rather than identify your actual needs for data transfer and web space and sign up with the hosting company that offers more than your requirements.

I've read of people pushing up to 5TB with some of these unlimited or virtually unlimited shared hosting accounts (when offering relatively large files for download). But that's not a rule, as your mileage will vary significantly with each provider. In fact, the same host might not allow tomorrow what it allows today, so, if you decide to try your luck with these, always be on your tows, read the TOS carefully (while keeping in mind that it can suddenly change), and have a set of backups ready.

Lot of concerns will be there. Whether you are hosting audio and video which have copy rights is one of them. If you are trying to host it on your site or try to stream from Youtube like site? If you are trying to host them on your site and if you need a huge resource usage shared hosting will not be an option. Unlimited plans even can't support you for huge resource usage.
    iHubNet Ltd - Premium Hosting Solutions 4 ALL
    Solid Support Solid Equipment Solid Network
    Shared Hosting / Reseller Hosting / Managed Server
    Matt A.

Separating website hosting from file hosting might be an option. There are file hosting services out there (e.g. rapidshare, megaupload etc.)

Question

Thanks a lot for your reply guys.

All files are not copy righted at all so everything is legally.

Rapidshare or equal services will not help as I need a direct access (no wait, no steps ...etc).

You mean to host files in another account and host the website in another account?

Please can anyone suggest a reliable one that is offering a really nice package especially that I am the one who is financing the whole thing as this is a non-profit project aiming to serve many audience.

Thanks

I would suggest that if you really do feel you need an "unlimited" package to sign up for a Dedicated Server so you will:
    1. See how limited "unlimited" packages really are
    2. See your own limits and only be limited by your budget and not your host.

SoftLayer has three *fantastic* facilities in the United States - one in Seattle on the west coast, one in Dallas on the interior, and one in Washington D.C. on the east coast.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

Do you have an idea on how much disc space and bandwidth are you going to use?
    -> No cheap stuff, we provide only professional hosting on powerful machines <-> Speed and responsiveness are first priority! <-

Question

Guys I am impressed with the help I am getting here.

I think I will need 20-30 GB space for the starting period and about 200 GB expected traffic per month.

This is for both audio and video.

Quote Originally Posted by MGadAllah View Post
    Guys I am impressed with the help I am getting here.

I think I will need 20-30 GB space for the starting period and about 200 GB expected traffic per month.

This is for both audio and video.
    Those are more realistic numbers - although they are still a bit outside of normal quality shared hosting. You may want to look into a semi-dedicated or VPS solution that will meet your needs.

The semi-dedicated will give you the power+space+transfer to do what you need without the added complexity of managing the system where as a VPS will do the same except you will likely either have to manage the server yourself or pay extra to get it managed.

Most semi-dedicated packages also feature tools such as ffmpeg if you want to encode videos on-the-fly.

What is your budget for this project?

if I will go for the semi-dedicated ... what is the price range for different packages or in other words what is the average cost or minimum.

Actually I do not have a complete plan yet for this project as I am stil studying possibilities for what I may be able to do.

But I will follow your advise and go with the semi-dedicated one. But which one and which package?

if I will go for the semi-dedicated ... what is the price range for different packages or in other words what is the average cost or minimum.

Actually I do not have a complete plan yet for this project as I am stil studying possibilities for what I may be able to do.

But I will follow your advise and go with the semi-dedicated one. But which one and which package?
    The top end of regular shared hosting (higher quality usually) is right around $12 to $15/month and that would be the bottom-end for semi-dedicated in most cases.

You can search the shared hosting offers section to find a host that will meet your needs:
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4

Make sure to ask the host what their definition of semi-dedicated is as the term varies across some providers. What you are looking for is something that is not a VPS (so basically a shared server with a very low population cap).

I know that JaguarPC and Cirtex offer Semi-Dedicated but I can't say whether they are good or bad - you will need to do your own research on their offerings.

does all are the same?
    I mean if more then one offering the same package or almost the same package with the same prices does it differ or all goes the same?

does all are the same?
    I mean if more then one offering the same package or almost the same package with the same prices does it differ or all goes the same?
    It's just like purchasing any other hosting plan - you need to search for reviews and compare/contrast their services.

Just because it's semi-dedicated doesn't mean that the company is going to provide any better service than another.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

Please may you advise for the needs I've asked for to advise or recommend me a nice suitable one?

Thanks

200GB is not at all much bandwidth

meaning that I will not need the semi-dedicated server?

Well we have several users having custom plans using 5TB+ per month on shared hosting, there is a myth shared hosting is only for users using low bandwidth which is not always true. If you want more CPU usage you should go for a dedicated server. If bandwidth is your only concern any provider providing high bandwidth transfer per month on any type of hosting, will suite you.

Question

So I can have a huge space with a lot of traffics on a shared hosting?

This is great

Please may you advise for a nice one that will fit my needs?

Thanks

Being primarely a FFmpeg host (video sites) I can assure you 200GB of bandwidth is normal for these kind of sites...

Quote Originally Posted by tumbano View Post
    FFmpeg host (video sites)
    What does this mean?

Sites that works the same as youtube (convert videos directly on server). Check this http://www.imdd2.info as an example

and I can host audio files as well with the same facility?

That is great, I am in.

Please suggest or advise for a good provider.

Can I suggest you try the Grid Service package by Media Temple? ($200/year or $20/mth) @ mediatemple.net/webhosting/gs/ and scale it up slowly?

Many a top web designer uses their service.

By the way, as a person who have been running a web hosting company since 2000, can I advice you to stay away from companies that sell 'unlimited' plans? It's not possible. Period. Have you heard of a computer that gives you unlimited hard disk space or speed? Hope you get what I mean.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast