Site/Server Monitoring Services?

Howdy folks... very long time now see. Great to see this site is still around for the community.

I think it is time to look into a 3rd party Site Monitoring service. Any suggestions and thoughts from the gen pop?

Thanks!
    [[[[ ---CNM--- ]]]]

Pingdom.com is what we use.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

I've used Hyperspin and they've been veyr reliable and I don't think I've ever gotten a false negative before.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Wall View Post
    I've used Hyperspin and they've been veyr reliable and I don't think I've ever gotten a false negative before.
    I set up Pingdom with a 1 minute check interval and needing 2 consecutive downtime reports before it alerts anybody. This gives you a total of an extra 60 seconds of downtime but eliminates false negatives almost entirely.

Of course there is internal monitoring we actually rely upon, but pindom is very nice imho.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

I use binarycanary and although my free account is I think 15 minutes, it works great. Dave

That is good idea for me, thank all
    <<Please see rules for signature setup>>

We are using HyperSpin and it works great without any false alert.
    We are also currently trying Pingdom out but it seems to have some false alerts, which can be resolved by employing the solution suggested by Michael.
    Aspiration Hosting [US UK SG AU] - Cloud Web Hosting | Managed Cloud Server
    LiteMage / LiteSpeed Cache for Magento, WordPress, Joomla, Drupal & XenForo

Web Development Support Unmetered Bandwidth Aspiration CDN Magento Optimized

I know I've written this before, but I'll post it again. Nagios is fantastic if you have a good machine (or two) to run it from. We ran it from our home-office on our so-called "business class broadband" internet (which we've had for the better part of a decade and never had any complaints with before, and found out exactly how crappy home broadband is... at least twice a month getting SMSes at 4am that turned out to be false positives.

So now we use pingdom for the kneejerk alerts for one service per machine, and then use Nagios to monitor all the other stuff with a much lower alert threshold so it doesn't panic if it goes 3 minutes without connectivity.
    I used to run the oldest commercial Mumble host.

Siteguardian.com is excellent, and have some good diagnostic toos, page weight calculations, load time tools, etc.
    Very few false-positives.
    This is the best signature in the world....Tribute!
    (It is not the best signature in the world, no. This is just a tribute)

We used to have Pingdom but now have moved to Binarycanary - which is a great monitoring service, which I would rank to the same level as Pingdom if not higher.
    ClanDrive Hosting | The No Fuss Webhost
    Shared & Reseller * Seattle - West Coast * LiteSpeed * cPanel * Fantastico * R1Soft * &More *
    Dedicated * Seattle - West Coast * 1-Minute Monitoring *
    VPS * NY - East Coast * OpenVZ *

We use nagious and it works simply great for us.
    Support Facility | 24/7 web hosting technical support services
    Technical support | Server management | Data migration

Technical Articles

Binarycanary
    I'm using Pingdom, which is quite nice, but this service seems pretty cost effective too. I shall keep it in mind.

Does it have a public reports feature? How detailed are they?

Alertra is another one.

We use panopta. It has a great interface and it's very customizable. We also are using pingdom, but we like panopta much better.
    hostingDifferent---We're hostingDifferent.
    Premium, Managed and DIY WordPress hosting DONE RIGHT.
    Find out what SERVICE really means!--We're hostingDifferent.

basicstate.com - Very happy with their service.
    FiberPeer.Com | | REAL DDoS Protection | Cloud Hosting | VPS | Dedicated Servers | High Bandwidth Hosting | 1Gbps-10Gbps Unmetered
    FiberPeer DDoS Mitigation | ethProxy Upgraded! | 14-Years Experience | Emergency 24/7 Support
    Visit us @ www.fiberpeer.com

Thanks for all the input good people. I will do some research and see what I come up with.
    [[[[ ---CNM--- ]]]]

Quote Originally Posted by powerMonster-Scott View Post
    We use panopta. It has a great interface and it's very customizable. We also are using pingdom, but we like panopta much better.
    Glad someone mentioned Panopta!

We've used numerous providers in the past and kept jumping around trying to find a better one. We've been using Panopta for exactly a year now and highly doubt we'll ever need to find a new provider. Their control panel is far better than any I have used, and their alerts are instant and we've never received a false-positive. For the cost of the service, they definitely give you the most for your money.

Agreed! Panopta is a great service.
    hostingDifferent---We're hostingDifferent.
    Premium, Managed and DIY WordPress hosting DONE RIGHT.
    Find out what SERVICE really means!--We're hostingDifferent.

i will recommend wormly.com if you are willing to pay some bucks. they are awesome in service, try them.

sitemeter is good to use because you can see all the info about who is coming to your website and when.

i use Hyperspin to monitor my server. the price is cheap. you can try for free for 30 days. i also get sms if my server down.. cool

Quote Originally Posted by Cape Dave View Post
    I use binarycanary and although my free account is I think 15 minutes, it works great. Dave
    you got to be kidding. The subscription form ;
    http://www.binarycanary.com/user/billing-settings.cfm

is not https, and it is asking for CC. well i did try ;
    https://www.binarycanary.com/user/billing-settings.cfm and it work, but i wonder if user accidentally hit submit without noticing the "padlock" is not there.

we use hyperspin for nearly a year now, great service. I believed hyperspin has an offer thread in WHT
    Last edited by HWC-khalemi; 07-09-2009 at 11:19 PM. Reason: typo
    HostWaves.com Managed Drupal e-Commerce Hosting/Web Development Service for SMB/SME/SMI.

Another option for those that have substantial income, and may benefit (I use this as *part* of my monitoring solution).
    If you have an always-on home network, and a machine to spare, or a windows server that can handle this somewhere on a good network, there are programs like Whatsup / PRTG. I know it's expensive, but I bought WhatsUP Gold quite a while back, and it's the standard by which I rate all others. It can also dial a modem....SMS, TXT, Email, just about anything and everything in the way of monitoring, with custom codes, VPS scripts, etc.
    For those that have sites that MUST be up, and are generating significant income, it's worth the investment. All the web monitoring services, even SiteGuardian, give plenty of false-positives...drives me nuts.

GFI Network Server Monitor is great too, and kind of fills the gaps...watching such things as disk space, running processes, file existence, etc.
    This is the best signature in the world....Tribute!
    (It is not the best signature in the world, no. This is just a tribute)

Quote Originally Posted by HWC-khalemi View Post
    you got to be kidding. The subscription form ;
    http://www.binarycanary.com/user/billing-settings.cfm

is not https, and it is asking for CC. well i did try ;
    https://www.binarycanary.com/user/billing-settings.cfm and it work, but i wonder if user accidentally hit submit without noticing the "padlock" is not there.

we use hyperspin for nearly a year now, great service. I believed hyperspin has an offer thread in WHT
    I was just looking through their site, the only way to get to any billing pages without it being through https is removing it from your actual browser, I can find no links which lead to billing pages or signup pages which are without the "s"
    ClanDrive Hosting | The No Fuss Webhost
    Shared & Reseller * Seattle - West Coast * LiteSpeed * cPanel * Fantastico * R1Soft * &More *
    Dedicated * Seattle - West Coast * 1-Minute Monitoring *
    VPS * NY - East Coast * OpenVZ *

Setting up a VPS with Nagios or Zabbix. I've found Zabbix to be actually quite awesome. The configuration is rather confusing, but it does allow for checking of websites and input of forms if you need to monitor a site thats password protected.