Could someone lend a hand?

Hello,

First of all, this is what I need to do.

I current host an "open-tibia" server, you may or may not know what that is.

Anyways - It's a game and the server runs as an .exe
    Because of my connection speed I can serve about 40 people playing my game online at any given time without any lag. Any more and people start lagging. I also host a website for the game which is php - it is for automatic account creation.

I'm looking for a decent hosting server for a relatively cheap price that will allow the .exe to be run on their server, has mysql, ftp, and what ever else I may need.

Do you have any idea's as to what I should be using?

BTW - my goals are to be able to have 500+ people on my server with no lag.

If you need to know MY servers specs, just ask and I will tell.

Welcome to WHT! How would be your speifications and budget for the server? Also, do you have a preferred location?

Well - I am definatly a newb when it comes to this - so I don't know what I should be looking for. I suppose my budget isn't very high - since there is yet no "real" income from this game. I guess around 30 dollars a month I suppose.

If your budget is around $30/mo you will have to find a good VPS provider, I would suggest a dedicated server because you can at least scale up and use the entire servers resources and there are some good companies that offer entry dedicated servers for around $99/mo on up.

Really putting me on the spot here eh? I really don't "want" to go over 30 dollars a month - because I don't want to put out of my own pocket. Just what little money the game brings in. Do you know of anything that would be around 50 dollars a month then?

I have a question, What are your current server specs and what resources are used. I would also agree that $30.00 is way too low.

On a side note, I have been looking at the open-tibia project and am quite interisted in getting started. Can you shoot me an e-mail, I have a question about the gameplay.
    Keith I Myers
    KMyers.me The rantings of a lunatic
    Join me on Technical.chat

I'm hosting on my home computer sadly

10 MBPS/down
    4 MBPS/up
    4GB RAM
    Windows XP SP3
    2.8 GHZ Processor (overclocked to 3.4)

What else do you need to know?

Quote Originally Posted by Lazaruselite View Post
    I'm hosting on my home computer sadly

10 MBPS/down
    4 MBPS/up
    4GB RAM
    Windows XP SP3
    2.8 GHZ Processor (overclocked to 3.4)

What else do you need to know?
    Windows 2003 or 2008 will cost you alone $25-30 depending on the provider. You may want to look into a sponsership with a dedicated server provider.

First, I would suggest you to go for a dedicated server.
    For 30$/mo, you cannot find a good dedicated server as the good ones start from $100+
    So better to have a good budget.

Just a quick question, do you think the lag is due to your connection or system resources?
    Keith I Myers

Well - I do always have the option of upgrading to a dedicated server once I can get more people online playing my game. The more people that play - the higher the income, the more money I can put into it. What would you recomend for around 30 dollars a month? It would only take a few weeks to start bringing in about 100 dollars a month once I have 200+ players online.

The lag is due to my connection speed I believe - because I've never seen ny CPU usage go above 60%. At least I would assume it's because of my connection. Also - say I'm downloading erm... lets say music - cough - the lag increases. So I'd say it's my connection. I suppose I could be wrong though?

Quote Originally Posted by Lazaruselite View Post
    The lag is due to my connection speed I believe - because I've never seen ny CPU usage go above 60%. At least I would assume it's because of my connection. Also - say I'm downloading erm... lets say music - cough - the lag increases. So I'd say it's my connection. I suppose I could be wrong though?
    Yeh... music ....

Do you know what your RAM use is?
    Keith I Myers

No idea - I would like to know also - The only way I've been telling my CPU usage is through the performance tab within Windows Task Manager. How would I see my RAM usage?

Yes, The RAM Use is visible in the task manager under the performance tab on Windows
    Keith I Myers

Hmmm.. All I see is CPU Usage Page File Usage, Totals, Physical Memory, Commit Charge, and Kernal Memory.

Cheap, reliable hosting click here

Look under "Physical Memory"
    Keith I Myers

Total 4088172
    Available 2201844

My server is running at its peak right now (45 players online) and half the physical memory is not used.

Cheap, reliable hosting click here

Ok, so thats not too bad, Do you use this system for personal use as well or is it a strictly dedicated server?
    Keith I Myers

Yes, it's used for personal use aswel. If I had the cash I'd build another rig just for hosting.

Very likely the prob is your connection. 4MBps upload is good for home use, but certainly not for gameservers. It causes a lot of choke and loss, causing games to lag.

I'd recommend an ATOM server. You can usually get them for around $50/month.

Check out the Dedicated Server Offers section as I saw one offer that windows was included for $49/month.