Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Is Hostgator worth the price?

Heh, I know what you must be thinking, it is like $0.01 for your first month, but I want to know Customer Service and things like that. Will it be worth it after the penny wore off?

Would love some positive feedback from you guys.

Thanks.

this is a good webhosting company,

but never choose annual/quarterly payments options, always pay monthly

try them out for a month, then makeup your mind, if ur gonna stay with them or not.

good luck

remember, "pay monthly always"

I'd say no, because you're on one of those unlimited plans which really never are unlimited. I'd rather pay the same amount for something with limits so you actually know where you are and what you can do.

Besides that, I've heard many positive things about HostGator; they are one of the really larger companies out there, so it's no bad going with them (it's just that I wouldn't do it).

Is there any specific host you would try out instead of them?
    Last edited by cyanide77; 07-03-2009 at 11:24 AM.

if you want to go with big names then,

godaddy.com

hostgator.com

iweb.com

aplus.net

liquidweb.com

and many more.....

watch out for godaddy.com (very poor custoer support, i was a customer of this company long time ago, they are good with domains, not with hosting)

personally i recommend= http://www.liquidweb.com/ (great shared hosting, value for money)

Quote Originally Posted by cyanide77 View Post
    Heh, I know what you must be thinking, it is like $0.01 for your first month, but I want to know Customer Service and things like that. Will it be worth it after the penny wore off?

Thanks.
    The idea is that you get to try them out for yourself and you're only out $0.01. HostGator is a great company so you won't have trouble canceling if you don't like the service so I say just give it a shot.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

Quote Originally Posted by gnummep-martin View Post
    I'd say no, because you're on one of those unlimited plans which really never are unlimited. I'd rather pay the same amount for something with limits so you actually know where you are and what you can do.

Besides that, I've heard many positive things about HostGator; they are one of the really larger companies out there, so it's no bad going with them (it's just that I wouldn't do it).
    HostGator state their defenition of 'Unlimited' in the Terms of Service.

I would recommend HostGator, I started out with them and they were fantastic. Support, uptime, and general atmosphere was superb!

and for that "unlimited disc space/bandwidth" theory= there's nothing unlimited in our hosting industry, so, if any company uses "unlimited disc space/bandwidth" slogan, then they are simply lying to the newbie customers, and that's a shame.

HostGator or Dreamhost.com for big hosts. Both are excellent. Hostgator is especially good for those requiring telephone support. If you're technically savvy and want a fully functional shell/dev environment then Dreamhost is the place to be.
    PeakVPN.Com | Complete Privacy VPN | Cloud Hosting | Guaranteed Security | 1Gbps-10Gbps Unmetered
    PeakVPN | 31 VPN Servers | 17-Years Experience | Emergency 24/7 Support
    Visit us @ PeakVPN.Com (Coming SOON) | ASN: 3915

hostgator is great!
    they have a limit of 25% CPU Usage but the bandwidth is unlimited.
    as long as you don't pass the 25% CPU Usage, then you are fine.

Quote Originally Posted by hypebeast View Post
    hostgator is great!
    they have a limit of 25% CPU Usage but the bandwidth is unlimited.
    Agreed, and sustaining 25-30% is not an easy task unless you have busy forums/file sharing/bad scripting, etc.

Give them a try, I'm sure you'll be satisfied.
    PeakVPN.Com | Complete Privacy VPN | Cloud Hosting | Guaranteed Security | 1Gbps-10Gbps Unmetered
    PeakVPN | 31 VPN Servers | 17-Years Experience | Emergency 24/7 Support
    Visit us @ PeakVPN.Com (Coming SOON) | ASN: 3915

You can search about them, you'll see that their name raise time to time with threads like this, oddly happen when nobody name them for some time
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

HostGator is an amazing company and every bit of your money will be worth it. Their customer support through both live chat, phone, and email is amazingly fast compared to any providers I have been with in the past. I highly recommend them.

I'd rather pay the same amount for something with limits so you actually know where you are and what you can do.
    This depends on the limits. If you "get" 300GB for $10, the real limit will still be, in most scenarios, CPU/memory related.

The actual clause mentions 25% CPU usage for 90 seconds. No host will give you 25% of the server's computing capacity for $10, indefinitely. There are other limits (processes, mysql connections, inodes) as well.

It all boils down to what you're paying.

Quote Originally Posted by cyanide77 View Post

Thanks.
    Hostgator is a great company, and can back up their 'unlimited' claims. Their CS is 'okay' from what I've seen.

I think the original poster is looking for people who have used them. He also asked about customer service, and quality of hosting provided. Looks like you have not used them so it's pointless of you to say that.

The customer service is some of the best I have ever experienced. Live support 24/7 and if it's too advanced for them and you need to make a ticket longest I had to wait was maybe a hour or so.

Worth the price 100%

Uptime was great as well

edit: correction. Poster did kinda ask about quality of webhosting too. Didn't notice. So correcting myself.

Quote Originally Posted by gnummep-martin View Post

Last edited by Merged; 07-03-2009 at 04:25 PM.

i have used hostgator extensevly and even now i use it and they are AWSOME. believe it or not, one of my site uses some 14-15 TB Bandwidth Monthly and i use multiple servers to distribute the load and two servers are from hostgator.

0.01 for the first month is like, you cannot avoid it. support etc is great. and even $7 for a month is perfectly good price for the service they provide.
    Server Management +Support to your hosting clients (unlimited tickets and servers) in one monthly fee.
    Outsourced Support | ManageAndSupport.com.
    **We will monitor and harden your server + provide direct support to your
    hosting customers.**

believe it or not, one of my site uses some 14-15 TB Bandwidth Monthly and i use multiple servers to distribute the load and two servers are from hostgator.
    So, which type of package are your using from Hostgator? How much data transfer are you using with each?

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc View Post
    So, which type of package are your using from Hostgator? How much data transfer are you using with each?
    i am using the Baby Plan (only because i get unlimited parked domain). i have currently 4 servers of which 2 at hostgator. and each server uses about 3-4 TB Bandwidth Monthly.
    Server Management +Support to your hosting clients (unlimited tickets and servers) in one monthly fee.
    hosting customers.**

Quote Originally Posted by artpar View Post
    i am using the Baby Plan (only because i get unlimited parked domain). i have currently 4 servers of which 2 at hostgator. and each server uses about 3-4 TB Bandwidth Monthly.
    It's hard to belive that some shared host would allow you to sustain 11mbps (on avg.) on a $5/month account

Hard to believe, but not the first time I've heard of such a thing happening. Dreamhost, Site5, Servage would be some others that at least used to allow generous usage levels even though their pricing was <$10/month. It's not something I would rely on forever, but I was curious what usage level is possible at HG in the right scenario.

I had them before I went to a VPS.

Fantastic support, and their webhosting supported anything I needed.

I've always had very good speeds with them.
    VPS User

Quote Originally Posted by artpar View Post
    Um....

Well I guess when you have hundreds of servers at your disposal, they can allow you to do this, for a while of course. I wouldn't count on it forever.

i have completed 3 months with them. all the three months Problem free. i am not payed by them to post all this here. What i have posted is total fact. i have been with many hosts who provided unlimited thingie, but most closed down, or suspended me by giving some or the other reason. and that really sucked. but now i have found some which are for real and hostgator is one of them (and one other is free, BELIEVE IT OR NOT). LOL what else can i say.
    hosting customers.**

I currently use HostGator for the website of my company and can say I havent had any problems yet that I can think of. I will however mention that at time their customer supports seems a little overwhelmed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast