Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is Hostgator worth the price?

Heh, I know what you must be thinking, it is like $0.01 for your first month, but I want to know Customer Service and things like that. Will it be worth it after the penny wore off?

Would love some positive feedback from you guys.

Thanks.

this is a good webhosting company,

but never choose annual/quarterly payments options, always pay monthly

try them out for a month, then makeup your mind, if ur gonna stay with them or not.

good luck

remember, "pay monthly always"

I'd say no, because you're on one of those unlimited plans which really never are unlimited. I'd rather pay the same amount for something with limits so you actually know where you are and what you can do.

Besides that, I've heard many positive things about HostGator; they are one of the really larger companies out there, so it's no bad going with them (it's just that I wouldn't do it).

Is there any specific host you would try out instead of them?
    Last edited by cyanide77; 07-03-2009 at 11:24 AM.

if you want to go with big names then,

godaddy.com

hostgator.com

iweb.com

aplus.net

liquidweb.com

and many more.....

watch out for godaddy.com (very poor custoer support, i was a customer of this company long time ago, they are good with domains, not with hosting)

personally i recommend= http://www.liquidweb.com/ (great shared hosting, value for money)

Quote Originally Posted by cyanide77 View Post
    Heh, I know what you must be thinking, it is like $0.01 for your first month, but I want to know Customer Service and things like that. Will it be worth it after the penny wore off?

Thanks.
    The idea is that you get to try them out for yourself and you're only out $0.01. HostGator is a great company so you won't have trouble canceling if you don't like the service so I say just give it a shot.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

Quote Originally Posted by gnummep-martin View Post
    I'd say no, because you're on one of those unlimited plans which really never are unlimited. I'd rather pay the same amount for something with limits so you actually know where you are and what you can do.

Besides that, I've heard many positive things about HostGator; they are one of the really larger companies out there, so it's no bad going with them (it's just that I wouldn't do it).
    HostGator state their defenition of 'Unlimited' in the Terms of Service.

I would recommend HostGator, I started out with them and they were fantastic. Support, uptime, and general atmosphere was superb!

and for that "unlimited disc space/bandwidth" theory= there's nothing unlimited in our hosting industry, so, if any company uses "unlimited disc space/bandwidth" slogan, then they are simply lying to the newbie customers, and that's a shame.

HostGator or Dreamhost.com for big hosts. Both are excellent. Hostgator is especially good for those requiring telephone support. If you're technically savvy and want a fully functional shell/dev environment then Dreamhost is the place to be.
    FiberPeer.Com | | REAL DDoS Protection | Cloud Hosting | VPS | Dedicated Servers | High Bandwidth Hosting | 1Gbps-10Gbps Unmetered
    FiberPeer DDoS Mitigation | ethProxy Upgraded! | 14-Years Experience | Emergency 24/7 Support
    Visit us @ www.fiberpeer.com

hostgator is great!
    they have a limit of 25% CPU Usage but the bandwidth is unlimited.
    as long as you don't pass the 25% CPU Usage, then you are fine.

Quote Originally Posted by hypebeast View Post
    hostgator is great!
    they have a limit of 25% CPU Usage but the bandwidth is unlimited.
    Agreed, and sustaining 25-30% is not an easy task unless you have busy forums/file sharing/bad scripting, etc.

Give them a try, I'm sure you'll be satisfied.
    FiberPeer.Com | | REAL DDoS Protection | Cloud Hosting | VPS | Dedicated Servers | High Bandwidth Hosting | 1Gbps-10Gbps Unmetered
    FiberPeer DDoS Mitigation | ethProxy Upgraded! | 14-Years Experience | Emergency 24/7 Support
    Visit us @ www.fiberpeer.com

You can search about them, you'll see that their name raise time to time with threads like this, oddly happen when nobody name them for some time
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

HostGator is an amazing company and every bit of your money will be worth it. Their customer support through both live chat, phone, and email is amazingly fast compared to any providers I have been with in the past. I highly recommend them.

I'd rather pay the same amount for something with limits so you actually know where you are and what you can do.
    This depends on the limits. If you "get" 300GB for $10, the real limit will still be, in most scenarios, CPU/memory related.

The actual clause mentions 25% CPU usage for 90 seconds. No host will give you 25% of the server's computing capacity for $10, indefinitely. There are other limits (processes, mysql connections, inodes) as well.

It all boils down to what you're paying.

Quote Originally Posted by cyanide77 View Post

Thanks.
    Hostgator is a great company, and can back up their 'unlimited' claims. Their CS is 'okay' from what I've seen.

I think the original poster is looking for people who have used them. He also asked about customer service, and quality of hosting provided. Looks like you have not used them so it's pointless of you to say that.

The customer service is some of the best I have ever experienced. Live support 24/7 and if it's too advanced for them and you need to make a ticket longest I had to wait was maybe a hour or so.

Worth the price 100%

Uptime was great as well

edit: correction. Poster did kinda ask about quality of webhosting too. Didn't notice. So correcting myself.

Quote Originally Posted by gnummep-martin View Post

Last edited by @Jesse; 07-03-2009 at 04:25 PM.

i have used hostgator extensevly and even now i use it and they are AWSOME. believe it or not, one of my site uses some 14-15 TB Bandwidth Monthly and i use multiple servers to distribute the load and two servers are from hostgator.

0.01 for the first month is like, you cannot avoid it. support etc is great. and even $7 for a month is perfectly good price for the service they provide.
    Server Management +Support to your hosting clients (unlimited tickets and servers) in one monthly fee.
    Outsourced Support | ManageAndSupport.com.
    **We will monitor and harden your server + provide direct support to your
    hosting customers.**

believe it or not, one of my site uses some 14-15 TB Bandwidth Monthly and i use multiple servers to distribute the load and two servers are from hostgator.
    So, which type of package are your using from Hostgator? How much data transfer are you using with each?

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc View Post
    So, which type of package are your using from Hostgator? How much data transfer are you using with each?
    i am using the Baby Plan (only because i get unlimited parked domain). i have currently 4 servers of which 2 at hostgator. and each server uses about 3-4 TB Bandwidth Monthly.
    Server Management +Support to your hosting clients (unlimited tickets and servers) in one monthly fee.
    hosting customers.**

Quote Originally Posted by artpar View Post
    i am using the Baby Plan (only because i get unlimited parked domain). i have currently 4 servers of which 2 at hostgator. and each server uses about 3-4 TB Bandwidth Monthly.
    It's hard to belive that some shared host would allow you to sustain 11mbps (on avg.) on a $5/month account

Hard to believe, but not the first time I've heard of such a thing happening. Dreamhost, Site5, Servage would be some others that at least used to allow generous usage levels even though their pricing was <$10/month. It's not something I would rely on forever, but I was curious what usage level is possible at HG in the right scenario.

I had them before I went to a VPS.

Fantastic support, and their webhosting supported anything I needed.

I've always had very good speeds with them.
    VPS User

Um....

Well I guess when you have hundreds of servers at your disposal, they can allow you to do this, for a while of course. I wouldn't count on it forever.

i have completed 3 months with them. all the three months Problem free. i am not payed by them to post all this here. What i have posted is total fact. i have been with many hosts who provided unlimited thingie, but most closed down, or suspended me by giving some or the other reason. and that really sucked. but now i have found some which are for real and hostgator is one of them (and one other is free, BELIEVE IT OR NOT). LOL what else can i say.
    hosting customers.**

I currently use HostGator for the website of my company and can say I havent had any problems yet that I can think of. I will however mention that at time their customer supports seems a little overwhelmed.

I currently use HG reseller as part of my hosting solution, and I've been very pleased all the way around. I have not used their shared account, but it's the same CS, which, in my experience, has been some the best I HAVE experienced.
    Just watch out on the "Unlimited", it's actually 150000 inodes. Very hard to hit, but still, not unlimited.
    This is the best signature in the world....Tribute!
    (It is not the best signature in the world, no. This is just a tribute)

First of all HostGator is a great company regarding general service and support. Worth the price? Yes. Its a budget company, you would not say HG is expensive. I think its quite cheap.

It all depends on what your needs are. Do you host a hobbie or personal website? Great.

Do you host a business project or something which you need to make income? No.

It doesnt matter how great a company is, they CANT backup unlimited plans as there arent unlimited datancenters either. So it depends on how serious you are you probably feel safer on a company that sells you real limits on a higher price. Less customer per server, better service for your. The problem on overselling companies is you never know whats your limit. Will they suspend you when you go over 100 GB a month ? Or maybe 60 GB? Will they kick you of if you use 10 GB of space or 80 GB?
    Thats the problem, as they are unlimited you dont know it, and you cannot make a business plan on it. The cpanel stats on those companies are just a useless addons as they dont have any usefull means to you. So you dont know for a fact then they will kick you and you know they have to put allot of clients per server to make money. Its simple. Are they worth the service? Sure, give them a try, just dont even pay more then a month, this way you can move if you have problems. Most overselling companies give huge crazy deals on prepayment 1 year or even 5 years. Why? Isnt the service enough good on mnothly payment? Its because they oversell and if you grow they will kick you out, so its better to then you prepay. If you pay monthly there are less chances to be kicked out. The other problem is that you share the server with people that think they can go unlimited and that tends to abuse the server as they try to give their last penny a bang each month those users normally use WAY to much for what they want to pay. On the end its trouble down the road. Trust me. HG service was way better they did not oversold as much. Then they jumped the unlimited vagon and service isnt as good anymore as now you can actually find bad reviews on them, something that 3 years ago you would never read anywhere.

HostGator is great, as a budget host, just dont expect to build your next Google on them or host a forum like Webhostingtalk on a 10$ a month host. It just doesnt happen.

If you ask me? Personally i dont think any company is worth my money if they arent honest about their plans. I prefer to pay 50$ a month to someone offering 1 GB space and 40 GB transfer then to pay 1$ a year for a unlimited plan.

Yeah right and im building a datacenter on the moon as a secret project which actually has sun powered bandwidth.

Whats next? Saying you have a Rack on Terramark for 12$ a year with a 10 GB pipe?

I wonder how stupid Google is. I should tip them to pay 5$ a month on HostGator instead of those millions they are blowing up.

i have completed 3 months with them. all the three months Problem free. i am not payed by them to post all this here. What i have posted is total fact. i have been with many hosts who provided unlimited thingie, but most closed down, or suspended me by giving some or the other reason. and that really sucked. but now i have found some which are for real and hostgator is one of them (and one other is free, BELIEVE IT OR NOT). LOL what else can i say.
    Care to post a screenshot of that multi TB usage?

What I always find interesting about this that all these users are new registered users with less then 25 posts most of the time.

It would be nice if some of you could send an admin your url which is hosted there for verification.

And I sure also would like to know which is the website/websites that consume those 5000 GB a month for 5$ bucks.

Would be nice to see some screenshots too.

Last time I remember HostGator is hosted at the The Planet and even when they have tons of free GB per months because of all their servers its not like they give it away for free.

5000 GB a month costs a couple of hundreds, thats 15 to 20 times the costs of 5$.

Yes, oversellers do provide in very rare ocassions allot for that price but most of the times its because:
    1. Its a website forum or blog which attracts massive hosting clients sign up, so the hosting company doesnt want bad press if they are kicked out and they just take the hit of the costs.
    2. Its a friend of the CEO
    3. They provide it for a very short time, a month or two until your kicked out.

Chances are that 1 of every 50.000 clients can use that.

Its like giving away free plain tickets which costs 1000$ per trip for 100$. Yes, you can, but if you sold 100.000 Tickets you give away 10 for that price instead of free.

The chances of someone using that are very low, and the chances of being kicked out are very high. A hosting company is the market to earn money, not to give away a 500$ a month server for 5$ a month.

You cannot by no way make a business plan or project based on it. Just take an example that most of this hosts have a very hard limit somewhere. The new marketing gimmick call them Inodes. Which are files or folders structures. Some hosting companies put a 150.000 inode limit, so installing Joomla or Wordpress and having some cache files or some medium traffic you hit the limit fast. Joomla can take already 20.000 on a fresh install with some modules. So go figure out how much your Unlimited plan really is regarding unlimited.

Something also very, very scary is that if you actually consume lets say 200 GB a month, they just put a cape on your speed, so you cant consume more each month. Thats scary, since suddenly your super forum drops traffic and visits allot and gues what? You dont even know why.

I would never host on a unlimited 10$ a month plan. There are just to many factors that can limit you. Yes, all shared plans have limits. But I want to know them so i can upgrade. Most hosts dont even mention the inode limit. And you can be 100% sure they will not tell you when they cap your website speed or put a limit on it. You will just see how your traffic drops or it suddenly doesnt grow anymore.
    Last edited by nibb; 07-05-2009 at 01:23 AM.

Actually, I think I remember Brent (owner of HG) confirming they don't limit "unlimited" BW in most cases...can't find the post (maybe it was on their blog..)
    But they do say shared cant' even UG BW here:
    http://support.hostgator.com/article...ies-and-prices

They have a "soft limit" of 50,000 inodes (they became a bit stricter on inodes vs backups recently, if I remember right), but maybe Brent could chime in if he bored or happens to catch this thread. So, possible...but highly improbable unless it's some sort of large file repository situation. Someting tells me TB has been transposed to GB. I'd like to see the cPanel BW usage screen capture....

Hostgator

Great hosting company can not go wrong with them. Great support know what there doing.

Quote Originally Posted by mugo View Post
    I currently use HG reseller as part of my hosting solution, and I've been very pleased all the way around. I have not used their shared account, but it's the same CS, which, in my experience, has been some the best I HAVE experienced.
    Just watch out on the "Unlimited", it's actually 150000 inodes. Very hard to hit, but still, not unlimited.
    150.000 inodes = 15 fresh joomla installations

Hostgator was the best web hosting provider but their do not support few thing such image hosting..........

I was a HostGator customer until my website grew too big for them. They get 2 thumbs up for support and perfomance from my side. And they are NOT too expensive...

How big your website?I am running blog hosting at hostgator and have more than 1GB size database...........I am use hostgator since april 2009.I change to hostgator because the stupid and idiot ixwebhosting suspended me(because of high traffic and database overload).
    Quote Originally Posted by agmOne View Post
    I was a HostGator customer until my website grew too big for them. They get 2 thumbs up for support and perfomance from my side. And they are NOT too expensive...
    Last edited by gmchun83; 07-05-2009 at 09:53 AM.

Heres a Screen Shot Of June Month.

http://i43.tinypic.com/2drgwsz.jpg

I understand Its hard to believe, but to believe is your choice.

My Website is a Rapidshare File Transfer Site. You know, Transfer File's from Rapidshare to Users For Free without Waiting or any BS.

and since my main site was hosted elsewhere (gazzin) thats why the Visitors count is low.
    hosting customers.**

Look HG provide Great Service, a Fantastic Range of Plans, bundled with a huge reputation. Why not fork out the extra buck?

HostGator is good but before choosing any hosting company, be sure to check them twice so that you are not robbed.

I am agree with u.........I got "robbed" by uk-cheapest.co.uk before because i not google the hosting company............but lucky i get refund from paypal...........
    Quote Originally Posted by egwh View Post
    HostGator is good but before choosing any hosting company, be sure to check them twice so that you are not robbed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast