International hosting response times

This is a common requirement of companies like mine who are located in South Africa where web hosting is exorbitant. We choose to host in the US for cost reasons, but what you have to watch out for is response times. I am also interested in having good UK response times.

I am currently hosted with Webhostgiant who have not been a problem, but their servers are located on the West Coast, adding to server response times, so I need to move.

I am interested in the sharkspace offer, and what interests me most is the response times on their Data Center in Washington, DC . I just don't know if that will be the Data Center I get when I sign up for a Hammerhead package, anyone know how this works?

Other suggestions of fast + cheap + multi-domain + East Coast hosts?
    Thanks

Are you talking about server latency, or hosting support response times?

If you're talking about the former, try a few trace routes/pings to see which hosts are close enough in network terms to you.
    Darren Lingham - UK Webhosting Ltd. - (0800) 024 2931
    Tsohost.co.uk - Quality UK Windows and Linux hosting since 2003
    UK WordPress Hosting - Fast, easy, cloud based WordPress Hosting

I am certainly talking about server latency.

The problem with running multiple traceroutes is that a lot of hosts do not expose a file/URL for latency testing, and their site is not going to be a good test as it is likely not on their shared hosting plan.

Is there some better way of testing latency?

Quote Originally Posted by DuncanMoo View Post
    I am certainly talking about server latency.

The problem with running multiple traceroutes is that a lot of hosts do not expose a file/URL for latency testing, and their site is not going to be a good test as it is likely not on their shared hosting plan.

Is there some better way of testing latency?
    Usually you can request a test IP which you can ping, most hosts would be happy to give you one.

This is a common requirement of companies like mine who are located in South Africa where web hosting is exorbitant. We choose to host in the US for cost reasons, but what you have to watch out for is response times. I am also interested in having good UK response times.
    Contact providers you are interested in and ask them where your account would be created (if they have multiple locations) and then ask for a test IP

I am interested in the sharkspace offer, and what interests me most is the response times on their Data Center in Washington, DC . I just don't know if that will be the Data Center I get when I sign up for a Hammerhead package, anyone know how this works?
    You will have to ask them directly as only they will be able to answer this question for you.

Other suggestions of fast + cheap + multi-domain + East Coast hosts?
    Thanks
    The difference between East Coast and the Middle (such as Texas where ThePlanet and SoftLayer are) is only about 5~10ms in my experiences which isn't enough to even notice so you may want to look at providers in that area as well.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

Thanks for the help folks. MikeDVB when you are dealing with Traceroutes of between 300 and 400ms every millisecond counts. I do however agree that the difference is marginal between E Coast and Texas.

I have asked sharkspace to let me know which data center would be used.

Thanks for the help folks. MikeDVB when you are dealing with Traceroutes of between 300 and 400ms every millisecond counts. I do however agree that the difference is marginal between E Coast and Texas.

I have asked sharkspace to let me know which data center would be used.
    Actually I see it the other way around - if you are dealing with 10~20ms latency then every MS would count but when it's 300~400 what's 5 or 10 more or less going to do? It's still pretty latent

Maybe I'm just backwards

I just wanted to make sure you don't discount Texan hosts because there are a *lot* of them.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/