hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Dedicated Server : Looking for ESXi Dedicated Server

Forum Jump

Looking for ESXi Dedicated Server

Reply Post New Thread In Dedicated Server Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2009, 05:37 AM

Looking for ESXi Dedicated Server

Gents,

I am currently with Server.lu and use their vmware server 2.0 setup which it is a bit limiting, I am looking for a provider that offers and supports ESXi installations on their dedicated (unamanged) servers.
I am looking for a comparable offer of ds4000 (server.lu) in terms of bandwidth costs and hardware.

Is there anything like this around ?
Also, it must be EU.

I don't have very high bandwidth requests in terms of guarantees as we do not host bandwidth intensive sites (like streaming and so on).

Thanks for your support,
ZetaGi

Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2009, 06:59 AM
Web Hosting Master

Have you considered downloading ESXi from vmware.com and installing it on your server.lu dedicated server?

Old 07-03-2009, 07:08 AM

I did, but the problem would be in case of crash, There would be no quick way to re-install the system easily.
My idea is to have a esxi clean install from control panel so that I can then just ftp the machines back and start them.

Maybe there is another technical solution that I don't know about at the moment.

Thanks,
Zeta

Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2009, 07:18 AM
Custom Hosting Master

Hosts are not allowed to offer ESXi as a service from what I remember from VMWare's terms, you will need to find another solution, like Virtuozzo or something Xen based.

Old 07-03-2009, 07:27 AM

Thanks cristibighea,
that explains a lot!

Old 07-03-2009, 07:43 AM
Junior Guru

I believe ESXi can be for offer/installed on a new dedicated. You may need provide evidence of your ESXi license, but you can use it no problem for internal testing. Have you considered citrix Xen as another solution?

Old 07-03-2009, 07:46 AM

Thanks w4Net,

I have not considered Xen yet as an alternative as with ESXi I will be able to migrate everything with a very little effort. I already have a virtualized infrastructure.

Zeta

Old 07-19-2009, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristibighea View Post
Hosts are not allowed to offer ESXi as a service from what I remember from VMWare's terms, you will need to find another solution, like Virtuozzo or something Xen based.
How come places like XLHost and ServerPronto offer ESXi 3.5 or 4.0 OS pre-installed...?

I am also in the market for a dedicated server host who offers me a preinstalled ESXi server...

Old 07-19-2009, 06:23 AM
Custom Hosting Master

You didn't understand what I said; they can install it and even you can install it, but they cannot sell virtual machines based on ESXi.

Old 07-19-2009, 06:28 AM

Oh sorry.. my mistake.

In the original post it said "I am looking for a provider that offers and supports ESXi installations on their dedicated (unamanged) servers."

And well XLHost and ServerPronto offer that.. I'm wondering if there is more out there ... ?

Old 07-19-2009, 06:32 AM
WHT Addict

Hi,

I think anybody can do this. You only need to ask them to burn a CD with ESXi for you and put into the machine so you can install even yourself. Very easy!

Regards,

<< signature to be setup in profile >>

Last edited by Alex; 07-19-2009 at 07:40 AM.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:40 AM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristibighea View Post
You didn't understand what I said; they can install it and even you can install it, but they cannot sell virtual machines based on ESXi.
I was about to look for something similar until you mentioned this. Are you saying that hosting companies are not allowed to offer VMWare based VPS's for their clients?

Old 07-20-2009, 10:01 AM
Community Liaison

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftDux View Post
I was about to look for something similar until you mentioned this. Are you saying that hosting companies are not allowed to offer VMWare based VPS's for their clients?
I believe that they are referring specifically to ESXi which is a the free version of VMWare. You can't sell vps with that but with the full version you can I think.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:50 PM
rogue element

You can also opt for any of the dozens of companies offering VMware-based Cloud Hosting, such as:

https://www.redplaid.com/cloud_computing.php

Not quite what you're asking about, but perhaps it will work for you anyway.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:49 AM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolraul View Post
I believe that they are referring specifically to ESXi which is a the free version of VMWare. You can't sell vps with that but with the full version you can I think.
Can anyone confirm this, or is just your own speculation?