Thread: CPanel problems

CPanel problems

Firstly let me say that I am new to webhosting. I've just build my site over 4 months ago so I'm still on the steep learning curve. I've not had this problem before so I dont know whether its a problem with me or the host.

I've recently moved to another host and has taken up their offer on the free transfer of files (basically extracting my backup). Ever since the move, which has been a little over 24 hours, I cannot use cPanel at all. Most of the time, I cant even login or it takes a long time to login. Once logged in, there's nothing I can do actually. Anything I click doesnt really load. The problem is that the css files that were restored, was restored to not being able to write on the server. So I can even make any adjustment to my site since I cant seem to get access to cPanel.

Today I had problems ftp files to the site. I've ftp a few stuff yesterday but today it doesnt seem to want to upload anything. This is again another problem.

Now I've sent in a ticket to my host. They replied that since they dont have the problem they cant help me. I wasnt happy at all getting that reply. I mean if I have a problem that they dont, they're not going to help me? Also then they say that this could be a propogation problem?

Basically I need to gain access to CPanel ASAP. Anyone knows how to fix this? Or should I just move to another host that can actually help?

Thanks in advance.

Perhaps the server is overloaded, causing slow load times and access to cPanel. Or is it that you are unable to access cPanel at all with the provided details?

I can login sometimes and sometimes no. Even when I do get to login, its pretty much useless as I cant seem to do anything as it always timed out.

It would appear that it's overloading. When you login can you see the server load?

Have you made sure you've changed your namesever settings properly so you're not pointing to your old host?

Try to delete your cookies, delete history and others browsers cache and then flush the DNS and then try to access your Cpanel. Hope this will help.
    SUPPORT FACILITY | 24/7 TECH SUPPORT
    SERVER MANAGEMENT | WEB HOSTING SUPPORT | WP EXPERTS

Quote Originally Posted by inspiron View Post
    Try to delete your cookies, delete history and others browsers cache and then flush the DNS and then try to access your Cpanel. Hope this will help.
    Hopefully that will help but I'm willing to bet the server is just overloaded. Who is the new provider if I may ask?
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

Normally, you should never see timeouts visiting cPanel. I'd suggest another host if they aren't helping. It sounds like the server is overloaded, as others have mentioned.
    PeakVPN.Com | Complete Privacy VPN | Cloud Hosting | Guaranteed Security | 1Gbps-10Gbps Unmetered
    PeakVPN | 31 VPN Servers | 17-Years Experience | Emergency 24/7 Support
    Visit us @ PeakVPN.Com (Coming SOON) | ASN: 3915

Quote Originally Posted by sparky123 View Post
    It would appear that it's overloading. When you login can you see the server load?

Have you made sure you've changed your namesever settings properly so you're not pointing to your old host?
    Server load is 3.67 for 4 CPUs.
    Yes my web address and cPanel are now using the new IP address.

Quote Originally Posted by inspiron View Post
    Done all that. Flushing DNS and changing the host file in Windows was what the host recommeded I do.

I log in faster now but still having problems with cPanel as in I cannot download any of my backups. Home Directory back up downloads 3/4 and then stopped while the sql files downloads 20bytes when the actual files is 20MB.

I would try and contact the host again.

The server load is looking fine for a quad core or dual dual-core.
    PeakVPN.Com | Complete Privacy VPN | Cloud Hosting | Guaranteed Security | 1Gbps-10Gbps Unmetered

Quote Originally Posted by serverorigin View Post
    I would try and contact the host again.

The server load is looking fine for a quad core or dual dual-core.

I would actually say that the server load is high if this is sustained for more then a few minutes. If it remains at 4.0 or greater I would investigate a new host.
    Keith I Myers
    KMyers.me The rantings of a lunatic
    Join me on Technical.chat

Quote Originally Posted by Neokenzo View Post
    Server load is 3.67 for 4 CPUs.
    Yes my web address and cPanel are now using the new IP address.

Done all that. Flushing DNS and changing the host file in Windows was what the host recommeded I do.

I log in faster now but still having problems with cPanel as in I cannot download any of my backups. Home Directory back up downloads 3/4 and then stopped while the sql files downloads 20bytes when the actual files is 20MB.
    Does your account have sufficient disk space? Click on server status in cPanel and see if the server is getting full on disk space.

Quote Originally Posted by KDisk View Post
    I would actually say that the server load is high if this is sustained for more then a few minutes. If it remains at 4.0 or greater I would investigate a new host.
    Just checked earlier and the server load is 18.16 and 11.45. So anything around 4.0 on shared is consider bad? What would be good then?

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Wall View Post
    Does your account have sufficient disk space? Click on server status in cPanel and see if the server is getting full on disk space.
    It says on hdd - 25%

That load (3.x ) doesn't seems to be high enough to make your site load that slow, however, 11 is it for a 4 Core server, however try cleaning your cache and accessing to your cpanel using cpanel.YOURDOMAIN.COM (replace it with your domain there)
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

So anything around 4.0 on shared is consider bad? What would be good then?
    No not bad at all... Many shared hosts provide shared hosting on dual-quad systems and above. It all depends on the server specs and what the load is originating from. You can't always base the response time with a server on load averages. That number being high doesn't always mean it's going to impact your process.

As for the 11+ load averages and the really slow response... That is probably why you're seeing the issue. I'd ask to be moved to a different server and if they won't, then I'd find a new provider.
    Last edited by PeakVPN-KH; 07-03-2009 at 02:01 PM.

sounds like a dns issue to me.
    You just moved to a new server, and a new host.

When you change your dns sites on your registrar it does not mean it will work right away.

Also, depending on how your old host or you set up the dns files, it may not be updating more than a few times a month, thus much of the net is trying to go to your old site.

Also, new host does not mean proper dns set up...so check both your own resolver on your system and get on the net and see where it is resolving at.

it is possible that some of your requests are going to the right place and some are not.

All you need is one of the round robins to go somewhere else and it will freak out the whole she bang and slow you down.

one good way to check is to not use the web address, but instead access via the ip. Is that slow too? Then check your own resolver/dns for your server and host. If it is not slow then you know there is a dns issue of propagation or setup.

if the IP access is really slow, then there is a serious problem with the computer or the host companies setup.

Either its a problem with your internet connection or the Server you are hosted on is Highly overloaded. cPanel rarely goes slow.

you said Server load is 3.67 for 4 CPUs. and i'll say thats BAD. it should be around something 2 (thats 50% CPU usage).

so this seems a problem with your host. i dont see much that you can do from your Side.
    Server Management +Support to your hosting clients (unlimited tickets and servers) in one monthly fee.
    Outsourced Support | ManageAndSupport.com.
    **We will monitor and harden your server + provide direct support to your
    hosting customers.**

Quote Originally Posted by artpar View Post
    Either its a problem with your internet connection or the Server you are hosted on is Highly overloaded. cPanel rarely goes slow.

you said Server load is 3.67 for 4 CPUs. and i'll say thats BAD. it should be around something 2 (thats 50% CPU usage).

so this seems a problem with your host. i dont see much that you can do from your Side.

Your interpretation is not right if this is Linux. If this is UNIX then it's different as well.

Load Average on Linux isn't a very good judge of the sluggishness of the system. Linux unlike real Unixes, does the load average against multiple factors and even has an exception to the rule. Linux additionally includes uninterruptible sleep state processes. So if for instance, a backup job is running with 5GB's of data that is merely being tar'd. That is very little CPU utilization because there isn't really any compression going on, therefore it is all IO.

Correct, the IO isn't figured in but the process is theoretically asleep, waiting on the disk IO to catch up. Linux figures that process as actively running and queuing it up as a slice.

In summary: Unless this is Solaris/BSD/AIX (HPUX - although I say it's crap as an OS, has a really nice way of figuring out load averages and simplifies it.) - the load average is a just a number, that IF HIGH ENOUGH, you can judge the system load. Although, you can have a high load but have very little CPU utilization. So in turn, your argument doesn't hold water. If the system was currently running a daily backup then it could have little CPU utilization and sleeping jobs causing the load to go sky high, even though it's mostly IO. May not even be intensive IO, just the job is theoretically "wait" but the load average calculation for LINUX doesn't take that into account.

Since the run queue can exceed 1, and it’s generally calculated via sampling, you might have two samples that return 10 and 0 processes in the run queue, respectively. That gives you a load average of 5, but your system is still usable/schedulable.

Tim O'Reilly said it perfectly when he stated:
    .. different systems will behave differently under the same load average. ... running a single cpu-bound background job .... can bring response to a crawl even though the load avg remains quite low.
    This true statement is a good example of how just going by load average can mislead you.

As far as I know there is no theoretical model that uses the load average to determine whether a system is schedulable because load average is often inaccurate.
    Last edited by PeakVPN-KH; 07-03-2009 at 07:35 PM.

Thing is my site and my forum is running fine, in fact is as fast as my last host. I only had problem with the site and forum during the swap. Today no problems there.
    The only problem is cPanel. I try logging in using the IP instead of the web-address. I still have the same problems. Still cant download any back ups at all.

Are you visiting the SSL address or the normal address? Have you tried going to just the IP of the server? Instead of the hostname?

I dont have SSL so I take it I am using the normal address.

The post above yours I meantion that I used the IP isntead of the hostname. Sorry for not explaining it properly.

My bad, I missed that.

Very strange... If you're able to get to your site fine and no lag there then the cPanel issue must be an issue with cPanel itself on the server.

Wish I knew what else to try. Only other thing I'd check is to try a traceroute to the IP and run a couple ping tests to see if everything is solid. Otherwise, not much else you can try from your end. Sorry I can't help further =/

Best of luck! Let us know how it turns out.