Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    300

    Sure fire e-mail?

    We're currently using Ubersmith DE, and some of our clients have been reporting their invoices/support tickets have been going to spam.

    Is there any sure-fire e-mail system we can outsource our e-mail to?


    Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    In the Internets
    Posts
    3,622
    Have you tried just doing stuff to your own mail server?

    - Updating reverse
    - Adding SPF
    - Adding Domain Keys

    ...etc
    StableHost .:. Unlimited web hosting done right. Experience the unlimited difference.
    PingThat .:. Is your website down? Find out now with our QuickChecker technology.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    300
    Yes... we've done everything... I would rather pay the extra to a company who does only this to ensure nothing could go wrong.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    305
    Have you thought about getting a server just for mail? That might help...
    Hey Mikey likes it!

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by elektrica View Post
    We're currently using Ubersmith DE, and some of our clients have been reporting their invoices/support tickets have been going to spam.

    Is there any sure-fire e-mail system we can outsource our e-mail to?


    Thanks
    We're currently experiencing this same issue with clients reporting our emails are going to their spam folders. We have done everything we believe as well, including changes the messages from their default WHM emails to our own, and customers are still reporting it hitting their spam folders with road runner, yahoo, and msn. It's very aggravating when none of them give you a reason why it is being flagged as spam. Our email server's IP addresses have a very good reputation, however our emails coming from WHMCS are being marked as spam, and all three of them have been unable to tell us why.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    300
    @AA I feel your pain

    So no one knows of a service? I'm sure there are many.. google might even work?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Indiana, USA
    Posts
    16,087
    Quote Originally Posted by AquariusADMIN View Post
    We're currently experiencing this same issue with clients reporting our emails are going to their spam folders. We have done everything we believe as well, including changes the messages from their default WHM emails to our own, and customers are still reporting it hitting their spam folders with road runner, yahoo, and msn. It's very aggravating when none of them give you a reason why it is being flagged as spam. Our email server's IP addresses have a very good reputation, however our emails coming from WHMCS are being marked as spam, and all three of them have been unable to tell us why.
    There are many things that can cause it to go to a spam box and some of them are so "minor" that one wouldn't normally even think about it.

    If it weren't for spammers there wouldn't be such a thing as a "spam box"
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    300
    any other ideas guys?

    Thanks

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Indiana, USA
    Posts
    16,087
    GoogleApps would be a good mail processor to outsource your mail to.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by AquariusADMIN View Post
    We're currently experiencing this same issue with clients reporting our emails are going to their spam folders. We have done everything we believe as well, including changes the messages from their default WHM emails to our own, and customers are still reporting it hitting their spam folders with road runner, yahoo, and msn. It's very aggravating when none of them give you a reason why it is being flagged as spam. Our email server's IP addresses have a very good reputation, however our emails coming from WHMCS are being marked as spam, and all three of them have been unable to tell us why.
    You could ask the victims to send you copies of the emails including full headers. Or, you can get yourself a yahoo/msn account so you can see for yourself.

    You also need to take a close look at the email logs from a specific session to one of the victims.

    A common complaint/rant round about these parts is "email from some random php based app gets flagged as spam by yahoo/msn/hotmail"

    To me, that means start looking at the php email interaction with a microscope. Somewhere in there you will find something that the receiving smtp server does not like.

    Our experience is that it *is* possible to send email in volume to yahoo,msn,hotmail successfully. But, the sender has to look *completely* clean. Therefore, something in the way that the php email sending routines works is not kosher and it trips the spam defences at the receiving server.
    edgedirector.com
    managed dns global failover and load balance (gslb)
    exactstate.com
    uptime report for webhostingtalk.com

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,446
    Quote Originally Posted by plumsauce View Post
    You could ask the victims to send you copies of the emails including full headers. Or, you can get yourself a yahoo/msn account so you can see for yourself.

    You also need to take a close look at the email logs from a specific session to one of the victims.

    A common complaint/rant round about these parts is "email from some random php based app gets flagged as spam by yahoo/msn/hotmail"

    To me, that means start looking at the php email interaction with a microscope. Somewhere in there you will find something that the receiving smtp server does not like.

    Our experience is that it *is* possible to send email in volume to yahoo,msn,hotmail successfully. But, the sender has to look *completely* clean. Therefore, something in the way that the php email sending routines works is not kosher and it trips the spam defences at the receiving server.
    I agree. Another thing to try is create a very strict ruleset within SpamAssassin and create some test accounts at Hotmail/Gmail/Yahoo to send emails to. As mentioned, pull out the logs and response emails to figure out what the triggers are. Then work from there.

    We had this same issue with Yahoo! and it took us working with the Yahoo! support staff to mold our templates so they wouldn't be marked as spam.
    FiberPeer.Com | | REAL DDoS Protection | Cloud Hosting | VPS | Dedicated Servers | High Bandwidth Hosting | 1Gbps-10Gbps Unmetered
    FiberPeer DDoS Mitigation | ethProxy Upgraded! | 14-Years Experience | Emergency 24/7 Support
    Visit us @ www.fiberpeer.com

  12. #12
    You may ask your customer's to add the email address from where the Invoices are sent to their ' Approve List '. It may be because the Billing System continuously sends out reminders to customer's for the due invoices. As the emails repeat one word multiple times in the message, some words are termed as SPAM in the free mail services, so these emails are sent in the Junk Folders.

    We had the same issue with our clients and we tried the same thing, we investigated as to why it happens and found that if any email sent from our system contains letters simultaneously " asu " or " ase " the mails were sent to Junk Folders.

    For Example :: Measure, Pleasure, Please or Incase....etc.

    We changed our email message contained and our developer helped in some more minimizing the PHP scripts. Now , our systems is working fine.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by serverorigin View Post
    I agree. Another thing to try is create a very strict ruleset within SpamAssassin and create some test accounts at Hotmail/Gmail/Yahoo to send emails to. As mentioned, pull out the logs and response emails to figure out what the triggers are. Then work from there.

    We had this same issue with Yahoo! and it took us working with the Yahoo! support staff to mold our templates so they wouldn't be marked as spam.
    There are actually some sites around that allow people to test against spamassassin rules. The names escape me right now.

    But, did you know that according to a spamassassin stemming rule "analytics.com is a site trading in sexual content?

    Makes you go hmmm...
    edgedirector.com
    managed dns global failover and load balance (gslb)
    exactstate.com
    uptime report for webhostingtalk.com

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    300
    So it looks like google mail is the only real option?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA, UK, Singapore
    Posts
    3,325
    Quote Originally Posted by AquariusADMIN View Post
    We're currently experiencing this same issue with clients reporting our emails are going to their spam folders. We have done everything we believe as well, including changes the messages from their default WHM emails to our own, and customers are still reporting it hitting their spam folders with road runner, yahoo, and msn. It's very aggravating when none of them give you a reason why it is being flagged as spam. Our email server's IP addresses have a very good reputation, however our emails coming from WHMCS are being marked as spam, and all three of them have been unable to tell us why.
    Are you using SMTP authentication for sending out emails from WHMCS? I've had couple of friends who had similar issues with WHMCS and got it resolved after they started using SMTP rather than php mail().

    Rick
    ██ Softsys Hosting ██ - 9 Years In Business - 24/7 In-House Support - Enterprise DDoS Protection Available!

    Enterprise Dedicated Servers - WHT Exclusive Windows & Linux VPS (US/UK/Singapore) - Failover Ready Cloud VM's

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    300
    Hmm so to bring this back on topic

    Any recommendations?

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Indiana, USA
    Posts
    16,087
    Quote Originally Posted by SoftsysHosting-Rick View Post
    Are you using SMTP authentication for sending out emails from WHMCS? I've had couple of friends who had similar issues with WHMCS and got it resolved after they started using SMTP rather than php mail().

    Rick
    This is a good point - imho it's always better to use SMTP for an account that is actually configured than to simply use a pipe to import and php mail() to send. Simply having a forwarder to a pipe instead of an inbox will also create mail delivery issues (if the receiving server does a sender verification callout for example).

    Quote Originally Posted by elektrica View Post
    Hmm so to bring this back on topic

    Any recommendations?
    As I stated before the only thing I can think to outsource mail to at an affordable rate that would be sure to be reliable would be GoogleApps.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

Similar Threads

  1. Fire VPS
    By tjphippen in forum Web Site Reviews
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-03-2007, 09:12 AM
  2. Fire Captain Uses Fire Truck to Water Own Lawn
    By The Dude in forum Web Hosting Lounge
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-23-2005, 11:52 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-19-2004, 09:05 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-29-2004, 06:26 AM
  5. Ok... fire away...
    By Todd_Beedy in forum Web Hosting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-26-2003, 08:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •