OdishaHosting Review

I have been looking for a VPS provider to migrate from the one I have now (with lxadmin) for about 10 days now and in my quest, I have come across odishahosting and I wanted to tell you about my experience with them.

I haven’t signed up with them (yet) because my needs have changed in the meantime but I have been exchanging emails with them (mainly sales department and the CEO himself) for a week now and I thought I would write a review about how good they are to their prospects in comparison with others, so this is a SALES ONLY review.

To be fair, I have been a pain during the sales process (changing my mind a few times, requesting extra features…) but still, they have been surprisingly polite, friendly, understanding, patient and cooperative.

I know what you are thinking, it is the least they can do to sell and acquire new customers in such a competitive market and you would be right to think so, simply because it’s true! But this isn’t always the case as I had a clearly less positive experience when I contacted another potential provider.

In fact, after reading many positive reviews here about that company (I will keep it confidential), I decided to give it a try even though they were a bit over my budget. I have to say I was disappointed with the response I got from them. Don’t get me wrong, there was nothing unprofessional, negative or even wrong about what they wrote to me, it was just the tone and style they used that was cold, too professional, with no added value and a touch of disinterest… to put it in a nutshell, it was screaming “take it as it is or leave it, you are one of many many other customers and we will do nothing special for you, and for god sake, read our website, everything is crystal clear”
    I did disclose my full name and country, which I usually don’t do, but I don’t want to believe it played any role in the tone and content of that mail.
    Just to illustrate my words, here is an excerpt from the mail:

> We will be paying via Bank Transfer, is that OK for you?

We do not accept bank transfers at this time. We only accept Major Credit Cards, PayPal and Check/Money Orders as forms of payment.
    I know what payment methods they accept, I can see them on the website. A friendly or cooperative response would have been for example:

We do not accept bank transfers at this time because… However, if you really have no other way to pay, we are willing to make the necessary arrangements for you provided you can pay annually and cover our bank costs (or something similar to that).
    To get back to my initial idea, I just wanted to thank odishahosting and congratulate them for everything and let you all know how great they are as far as I can tell from the sales process, a more comprehensive review including the technical part will probably follow in a few months if I get a VPS from them.

Wink the reply

At first We would like to thank you for your review. It's very important for us to understand that our customers are happy with our services.

Also We will be very happy to see you in our big family!

Thank you for your business and cooperation.

As you can see from the post above, they are so nice and cooperative that we have decided to sign up with them for a VPS.
    So far, everything is fine, but I will be posting a more comprehensive review in a few days.

Glad to hear you are happy with them!
    XeHost.net - Hosting websites since 1999!
    Shared Hosting, Cloud Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS Hosting, and Dedicated Servers
    End-User Support, WHMCS, and WHMReseller Available on Reseller Plans!
    Follow us on Twitter - new special every Sunday! @XeHost

Quote Originally Posted by numerix View Post
    Just to illustrate my words, here is an excerpt from the mail:
    > We will be paying via Bank Transfer, is that OK for you?

We do not accept bank transfers at this time. We only accept Major Credit Cards, PayPal and Check/Money Orders as forms of payment.
    I know what payment methods they accept, I can see them on the website. A friendly or cooperative response would have been for example:

We do not accept bank transfers at this time because… However, if you really have no other way to pay, we are willing to make the necessary arrangements for you provided you can pay annually and cover our bank costs (or something similar to that).
    To get back to my initial idea, I just wanted to thank odishahosting and congratulate them for everything and let you all know how great they are as far as I can tell from the sales process, a more comprehensive review including the technical part will probably follow in a few months if I get a VPS from them.
    You have a very contradictory statement. If the provider does not accept wire transfer, there is not point in him lying about it now and then give you the surprise. May be the sentence could have been rephrased to sound better or polite, but to offer something that cannot be provided...?

I have been in touch with odisha hosting recently for a vps. Yes, they were good to deal with. However, i did not join them b'cos of some change in plans for me.

I think this is the first "Sales" review I've read here! Maybe it's the East Coast in me but I don't mind direct answers (as long as they are to accurate) but everyone has different needs.

You have a very contradictory statement. If the provider does not accept wire transfer, there is not point in him lying about it now and then give you the surprise. May be the sentence could have been rephrased to sound better or polite, but to offer something that cannot be provided...?
    You are not completely wrong! First thing is the tone, so maybe rephrasing may have solved the problem, second, a brief explaination of why they don't accept that method would have been appreciated but most importantly, why is it such a big deal to accept wire transfer, it is money anyway? that's my real point.

Quote Originally Posted by numerix View Post
    You are not completely wrong! First thing is the tone, so maybe rephrasing may have solved the problem, second, a brief explaination of why they don't accept that method would have been appreciated but most importantly, why is it such a big deal to accept wire transfer, it is money anyway? that's my real point.
    Overhead costs. Bank charges. Safety. Non availability. Maintenance. I could give you 100 different reasons.

How you receive money is also an important factor, not just how much.

Just today I had a client asking me if he could pay via WebMoney, CashU or LibertyReserve. I told him, no. Simple reason is that I cannot open an account at each site and maintain them if only 1 clients wants to pay though those methods. I'd have attach my bank account to all these sites and verify my account--would take days to just set it up!

Same way some people prefer not to accept wire transfers.

Thank you for the review. Always good to add more potential companies to switch to.

As promised in a previous post, here is a more comprehensive (and lengthy) review of odishahosting. I have been with them for about two weeks now and will certainly update after a few months.

The VPS was setup within hours and was working fine when it was delivered. I got a comprehensive email with all the required infos and unlike my previous host, it didn’t go to the spam folder! In fact, emails are amongst my big satisfactions here (maybe had very bad experiences before) but all my emails get delivered almost instantly and none of them is ever considered as spam, so a very good point here. I had a positive surprise here as my VPS was set up in an east coast datacenter so it has good connectivity to Europe and Africa, an important thing for me I didn’t mention to them.

I can’t say a lot about the hardware because of my limited knowledge of linux, but it seems to be good. Hard drives are in Raid 10 mode and the server is based on two quad E5405 Xeons and has very low load (has never been even close to 1) so they probably don’t oversell and/or the node isn’t full yet.

I can’t say much about the network and bandwidth either because my DSL connection is limited to 1 Mbs so it is easy to saturate; I have uploaded a file for you guys to test it if you want (and let me know how it goes) http://banacne.com/test66Mb.bin

We had agreed upon a package of software and add-ons, but the VPS was delivered with the basics only so I thought they needed more time to register the licenses, I waited for a week and opened a ticket about that. They actually forgot and apologized for that, the issue was resolved promptly, so nothing to complain about really. I did get what I had been promised.

When I began using WHM/CPANEL and setting up nameservers and stuff, I had a question that got answered via a ticket I had opened. The response time was very good and much faster than that of sales, which is a very positive thing because it means they understand that selling you stuff isn’t as important as making sure everything is working for you.

I also had trouble adding domains in cPanel and it was fixed too via the ticket system. In fact I had to open a lot of tickets because I did run into many issues some of them being weired. What I can’t tell is if those issues could have been avoided if they had done things they didn’t do. So maybe a lack of prevention or experience, but I am not sure, the only thing I am certain of is that I wasn’t the cause of many of those problems I ran into.

The important facts about the tech support at odishahosting are that:
    - You always get a very quick response to your tickets which is a good thing because you are never left alone,
    - You often get an email saying “I will check this and get back to you shortly with an update” which doesn’t really mean anything but “we have read your mail”, this means the real answer to you ticket will only be sent later,
    - A very annoying thing about their support team is that they never explain anything to you, they just say “we have fixed the issue, please check on your side” which as far as I am concerned is negative because you keep making the same mistakes and you never understand what you did wrong and even when you ask, the response is as short as possible making you think they don’t want to share with you, so certainly one of the most negative points about them, but I have heard of other providers with this same tendency so…
    - All my problems were resolved eventually,
    - One issue took them a lot of time to solve which would have been unacceptable if the server had been down or full of unhappy customers on my side,

To sum it up, my overall experience with odishahosting is very good. It can certainly be improved and I believe they will with experience and time and maybe more demanding customers than me.

Numerix - We want to thank you deeply for your in depth review. We will honestly take every piece of advice that you gave us very seriously. We hope that you will see our services and support become even better in the very near future. We look forward to working with you.